The Greatest Dominican...!

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Who do you believe is the greatest Dominican person; male or female, past or present, in the history of the Dominican Republic?

Yvette

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
yvette said:
Who do you believe is the greatest Dominican person; male or female, past or present, in the history of the Dominican Republic?

Yvette
In my opinion, the greatest Dominican person to have ever existed was Juan Pablo Duarte. Mella and Sanchez also rank up there in addition to Luperon, but Duarte was and will always be the father of this nation.

If it was not for him, DR would probably had not come into existence at the time it did. :)

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Nal0whs said:
In my opinion, the greatest Dominican person to have ever existed was Juan Pablo Duarte. Mella and Sanchez also rank up there in addition to Luperon, but Duarte was and will always be the father of this nation.

If it was not for him, DR would probably had not come into existence at the time it did. :)

Thank you for your honest post, I really want to know more about this country and what the citizens think about their own heros.

Yvette

M

Mr.Mark

Clarify

I don't know how to answer this. Really, it's difficult. I find my mind mystified because I kind of parallel it with "what's your favorite "whatever". Of course, you're not asking us who's our favorite Dominican, but who's been -or is- the greatest one.

I think we must first clarify what you really want. By greatest Dominican you mean someone that has engaged his life, works and ideas to the Dominican Republic or one that being born and/or raised in the Dominican Republic and even really identifying his/herself with this nation has been famous, has affected the world and well, has done great things? Let me see If I express my idea better, does the greatest Dominican -or Austrian, or Peruvian, or Chilean or whatever- has to be one that is enamored with his country?

When you give me some light on this I think I could give you a more to the point answer. I think this is a very interesting thread and that it will reveal how rich is the baggage of viewpoints of all of us DR1ers.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Mr.Mark said:
I don't know how to answer this. Really, it's difficult. I find my mind mystified because I kind of parallel it with "what's your favorite "whatever". Of course, you're not asking us who's our favorite Dominican, but who's been -or is- the greatest one.

I think we must first clarify what you really want. By greatest Dominican you mean someone that has engaged his life, works and ideas to the Dominican Republic or one that being born and/or raised in the Dominican Republic and even really identifying his/herself with this nation has been famous, has affected the world and well, has done great things? Let me see If I express my idea better, does the greatest Dominican -or Austrian, or Peruvian, or Chilean or whatever- has to be one that is enamored with his country?

When you give me some light on this I think I could give you a more to the point answer. I think this is a very interesting thread and that it will reveal how rich is the baggage of viewpoints of all of us DR1ers.

Mark,

I'll try to restate my question a little clearer. In your opinion who do you think has been the greatest person, male or female, past or present, to bring about POSITIVE changes in the Dominican Republic as a whole.
I hope this helps.

Yvette

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
hippolito mejia. it's truly a touching story of rags to riches and how he so unwittingly affected so many people and lives around him - bankers included!

M

Mr.Mark

Still figuring out

Yvette,

I'm thinking about this matter and still don't have strong candidates to mention. But I know there has to be at least one great. Duarte, perhaps?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
There are many!

As Nal0whs said, Juan Pablo Duarte Diez, Mella and Francisco Del Rosario Sanchez. Also Gregorio Luperon, indeed.

What about such people as Caamano and Enrique Blanco.

And lets not forget the thousands of universities students that were tortured or lost their lives every time they decided to fight the corrupted government of the '70's, '80's and '90's.

Last edited:

Noman

May 17, 2004
every soul of every peasant whoever lived in the land

that is the greatest Dominican ever...the most beautiful people God gave to the earth....

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
If these people followed threw..they would definately be on the list

Freddy Veras Goico - once thrown out of the country for speaking his mine about corruption, only to return and without fear for his own life continues to speak out he is a true activist and patriot! the only problem he has never runned for public office

Sammy Sosa - Great story from rages to riches literaly..he still lives in his country, I only wished he was more involved in the Dominican community and community development..

Felix Sanchez - the First to give the country a gold medal in 2005!! eventhough he could have chosen to run for the U.S. national team and make more endorsements and have major coorperate sponsors, only wished he was more of a spokesman for Dominican Athletic development!

Cesar Medina of Hoy Mismo - Very fair and Transparent regardless that he is PRD, he has been a fighter of speaking out against anyone who brings the country harm and shame, but once again never has taken a bigger role to take public office..

Pena Gomez - This is the D.R.s version of Martin Luther King..there is no man in D.R. who cried louder for the poor and unfortunate, to bad that his health betrayed him in the end and hippolito brung his party to shame.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Kill me now.

I know, I know....
The Greatest Female, Dominican National to me is.....

.Scroll Down....
.a little more ;)
.Just a little more ;)

is my Wife, Mechi!!!!!!!!!! :bunny:

To each his own, Right????????

Tim H. :smoke:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I?d say...

... as others..
This is very difficult, and there are many that each in their ways have made a difference.
Just one, and if it has to be just one single person, I?d say Juan Pablo Duarte too.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Cpl. Ramona Valdez

She was Dominican born, brought over to the US thru a single parent, graduated from a US High School at age 15, joined the Marines early at age 17, died while serving a country she believed in at age 21. She could have been anything she wanted to, but she chose to serve in the Armed Services.

She's a role model to all Dominicans.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I hear ya!

Timex said:
I know, I know....
The Greatest Female, Dominican National to me is.
.Scroll Down....

.a little more ;)

.Just a little more ;)

is my Wife, Mechi!!!!!!!!!! :bunny:

To each his own, Right????????

Tim H. :smoke:
GOOD ANSWER!!. ;) . Was she standing next to you, watching to see what your answer was going to be????. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If I have to pick just one, Duarte Diez would be my pick.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
daddy1 said:
Freddy Veras Goico - once thrown out of the country for speaking his mine about corruption, only to return and without fear for his own life continues to speak out he is a true activist and patriot! the only problem he has never runned for public office

Sammy Sosa - Great story from rages to riches literaly..he still lives in his country, I only wished he was more involved in the Dominican community and community development..

Felix Sanchez - the First to give the country a gold medal in 2005!! eventhough he could have chosen to run for the U.S. national team and make more endorsements and have major coorperate sponsors, only wished he was more of a spokesman for Dominican Athletic development!

Cesar Medina of Hoy Mismo - Very fair and Transparent regardless that he is PRD, he has been a fighter of speaking out against anyone who brings the country harm and shame, but once again never has taken a bigger role to take public office..

Pena Gomez - This is the D.R.s version of Martin Luther King..there is no man in D.R. who cried louder for the poor and unfortunate, to bad that his health betrayed him in the end and hippolito brung his party to shame.

Thanks for your post and an explanations of your choices contributions.

Yvette

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
She was Dominican born, brought over to the US thru a single parent, graduated from a US High School at age 15, joined the Marines early at age 17, died while serving a country she believed in at age 21. She could have been anything she wanted to, but she chose to serve in the Armed Services.

I would not call her Dominican...but American. She believed in The US NOT The DR...That to me is NOT a Dominican. Sorry if I seem harsh...I'm sure you probably knew her, etc...

There are many great Dominicans depending on whom you ask, but obviously the greatest props need to go to Duarte for forming the base of what's today The DR and even greater props to Sanchez and Mella for having the balls to get the revolution going. Without these guys we would be just another part of Haiti....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Jos? Leg?r

My great great grandfather (tatarabuelo), Jos? Leg?r, who managed, with a handful of confederates, and an old rusty Spanish canon, to keep the Haitian army at bay, at the place called El Barro, across the Jura river, in the historical epic known as the 'Battle of March 19th' which brought forth the 'Restoration' of the Dominican Republic in 1844.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Brave but!

Ricardo900 said:

Did she served with the dominican troops that went from the DR to Iraq?.

I am sorry that she lost her life but she lost her life fighting for the US and not the DR.

Very brave indeed but if I am not mistaken, she made no inpact in the DR or for the DR and the OP is talking about dominicans that made a difference IN THE DR or FOR THE DR.

I agree with you 100% suarezn.