Hoping to live a dream

cdn-sapper

Jun 30, 2005
Hello folks,
I've been reading a lot on the excellent information that you provide on this forum. I have visited the DR about 8 times in the last 2 years, and I love it.
My friends and I have been thinking about starting a business in the DR, something that would benefit the locals and perhaps give me the opportunity to share some of my knowledge and experience with the community.
In brief, I am contemplating opening a martial arts school/fitness facility that would cater to law enforcement/private security personnel and the general public.
So, I write to you today seeking your expert advice. Could you please comment if this is something that is advisable or not. I vagely understand the power status that revolves around the local law enforcement.
Our initial concept was of a bar/disco, but it appears to have been done too many times and since my true passion lies with martial arts that is the direction I choose.
My experience includes military and private security among few other credentials.
I would greatly appreciate any and all comments pertaining to my request.
Hope to visit the DR next month.
CHEERS!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Sounds like a way to go broke slowly. Cannot imagine the need for this at all. Law enforcement I am sure train themselves (such as it is) the cops haven't got 2 cents to rub together. Vigilantes are just guys with shotguns and uniforms.

That is the problem with trying to turn hobbies into businesses, you are more interested in the product than the clients.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are already a number of gyms in the country, the majority of them in Santo Domingo, ranging from basic to luxurious. I don't think there are too many police members, unless they get a very special price. As Rick said, it is not a high paying job.

There are also a number of martial arts schools available.

Getting clients that would justify the investment and give you a profit would be a problem.

Most private security personnel are little more than slaves. They earn about RD$4,000/month, work 12 hours a day, and get no benefits. I doubt you would get many clients out of that group.

cdn-sapper

Jun 30, 2005
Wow!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the response fellas, I do appreciate it. I suppose I was hoping that I would be able to share our knowledge/experience and enjoy what I do all at the same time. I have interacted with a few security personnel and they seemed to share with me that they have no training what so ever.
Are there many martial arts schools in Santiago and if so, how will I find them?
Please keep your advice coming in, 'cause I would really like to start something, and this will help me look in the right direction.
CHEERS!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Not having any (training) and wanting some (for $) are not the same thing in the DR.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I agree with the above posters. Law enforcement people are low paid and expect to receive everything for nothing.
The sure way to make a small fortune in the DR is to invest a large fortune.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Never come directly to start a business.
Live here first at least 6 months, better a year.
There are many, many issues to consider before opening a business.
Majority of people coming and start a business directly, that have been visiting, but not living here, go home within 5 months without a cent.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
cdn-sapper said:
Wow!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the response fellas, I do appreciate it. I suppose I was hoping that I would be able to share our knowledge/experience and enjoy what I do all at the same time. I have interacted with a few security personnel and they seemed to share with me that they have no training what so ever.
Are there many martial arts schools in Santiago and if so, how will I find them?
Please keep your advice coming in, 'cause I would really like to start something, and this will help me look in the right direction.
CHEERS!

Wait until the weekend is over & then PM (private message) or e-mail Hillbilly. he lives in Santiago & is heavily involved with Judo in that area so might hae something more positive to put your way. HE is the guru for Santiago having lived there for 40+ years (& he is a nice man to boot!!).

Failing that, there are a couple of Ex-police/security guys coming to live down here shortly who are interested in something similar to what you are suggesting & I can put you in touch with them. As Carina suggests, they are taking their time about all this & nothing will be set up until it is THOROUGHLY researched, contacts are in place & a favourable income to fund expansion (NOT for profit per se) is assured (well as much as it CAN be assured in the DR!!). ~ Grahame.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
cdn-sapper said:
Wow!!!!!!!!!
CHEERS!
There are martial arts schools in the Dominican Republic. One of the things I wanted my daughter to do is to compete here possibly one day although she lives in the States but visits often.

You can probably find out about your flavor in the DR on the Internet to see if and where they have schools here. I have seen Dominican Teams traveling from Santiago to other countries while I was on the same plane.

This is a very hard country to build a business in. Like others have said take it very slow if you can afford to.

NINO

Jan 5, 2002
dont give up your dream so fast

Hi I think you can do it,IF your really good and have a creative mind to bring
in the bussiness and are able to shift gear 1 to 5 and back again.
I think that if you got a good product you can sell it everywere but start
with as little money as possible.
Are you by any chance a national"state,city ect" champion?? this would of
course help greatly.
If you really want something you can get it and there are really plenty of
people who can afford "exclusive" training a good market would be business-
owners every1 from the local butcher to the ceo of verizon,also disco and
bar staff .
There is a really bad crimewave going on here I think there will be many
people who will like to be able to protect them selfs.
I d say go for it