Barcelo Talanquera AI- Good or Bad?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Has anyone here stayed at the Barcelo Talanquera All Inclusive Resort in Juan Dolio?.

I am trying to stay away from Boca Chica but close enough to Santo Domingo so I can do the things that I need to do for my brother and relax at the same time and some friends have recomended this resort.

Off hand, I really don't care about the price as long as it's a nice place. I don't ask for much but I would really would just like be able to relax ( if possible and if I am allowed, hehe).

I do promise that I WILL sit with a sankie/sankiette and give him/her some pointers on how to "perfect their craft", :laugh: :laugh: . Lets see how "original" they are. I would even put my companion as "bait", :eek: . Just kidding!!.

Ok, if someone knows about this place, let me know here or on PM.

MommC, thanks darling for your PM's. Very helpful.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I see!

Hlywud said:
My daughter stayed there and did not like it at all, in fact she said it sucked big time, we stayed at the Capella next door same time, it was very good.
My friend, Mayra, stayed there for 3 days for her niece's b-day last week and they all loved it.

But, a person from work, one of these 'stuck-up" jack, told me that he did not like it. That's the reason that I am asking those who have stayed there to give me a feedback on the place.

I do promise that if we stay there and it sucks, "off to the Capella we will go" or visa versa.

Thanks!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
You don't seem to be too generous with instructions to the jury (Good or Bad?). Even for this barefoot local, the verdict is unanimously 'Bad'.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
A-1

miguel said:
Has anyone here stayed at the Barcelo Talanquera All Inclusive Resort in Juan Dolio?.

I am trying to stay away from Boca Chica but close enough to Santo Domingo so I can do the things that I need to do for my brother and relax at the same time and some friends have recomended this resort.

Off hand, I really don't care about the price as long as it's a nice place. I don't ask for much but I would really would just like be able to relax ( if possible and if I am allowed, hehe).

I do promise that I WILL sit with a sankie/sankiette and give him/her some pointers on how to "perfect their craft", :laugh: :laugh: . Lets see how "original" they are. I would even put my companion as "bait", :eek: . Just kidding!!.

Don't you think that a nice hotel outside of A-1 would be much nicer if price is not in issue, being they see THE true country, eat real food, see real people, and enjoy a much nicer stay..... especially when it's your brother of all people. Me myself would never put my brother , and family in a A-1 when you can find a nice hotel, with pool for the children and travel, eat, leave, when you can be around gringos like me. ;)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have never stayed there myself but have never heard great things about the place. If you want to stay in the JD area, I recommend Coral Costa Caribe just down the street, I have stayed there more times than I wish to admit...great smaller size AI!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Thanks but!

drloca said:
I have never stayed there myself but have never heard great things about the place. If you want to stay in the JD area, I recommend Coral Costa Caribe just down the street, I have stayed there more times than I wish to admit...great smaller size AI!
Actually, the opinions are towards not staying there but I was told that if I stay at the Coral Costa Caribe, that I would be very unhappy too.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree with Wud on this one. You would be much happier at the Capella. Better yet for a more peaceful place to crash stay at the Barcelo Colonial Tropical across the street from Capella. Your family can visit there without a day pass and you will still have the A1 package of Capella facilities to boot! From your past post I am sure you will not be at the resort too much anyways. I have lived in the area and stayed at the Talanquera,Costa Caribe,Tropical Colonial and Capella. My number one choice used to be the Capella but now it is the Colonial because I get the best of both worlds that way. At this moment I do not have the time to post the differences between the 4 resorts so I will try to give you more detailed info later.When did you say you are going?

grand_dre

Aug 25, 2004
A very bad place

miguel said:

I stayed there for 3 weeks this past christmas. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. I had daily complaints regarding the rooms and service.The sink was cracked, the furniture was old. I had to wait 3 days just to get a remote control. The 1st room would have made Motel 6 look like the Ritz. The bed was so bad I had to find one spot to sleep. I was finally moved to a second room which was much better.

The second room was near the disco and beach, so I had the convience of being near the beach but the inconvience of the music if I wanted to sleep. I could not get a bathmat(bath floor towell), they said they were out. The AC thermostat button was broke so I could not turn the temperture. It took 2 days to fix and I got a cold from this.

Everyday I went upfront to either complain or exchange money their were many other people complaining loudly. I had a chance to talk and they all said this is the worst customer service and facilities they have been to.

I got married while I was there. My Esposa and her brother used to work there about 4 or 5 years ago. She said the facilities are very bad then what they used to be.

My advice, pay a couple of dollars more and enjoy. I will not stay at any Barcelo properties ever because I wrote to customer service and the President and never received a response.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Fine, gracias.

dulce said:
I have to agree with Wud on this one. You would be much happier at the Capella. Better yet for a more peaceful place to crash stay at the Barcelo Colonial Tropical across the street from Capella. Your family can visit there without a day pass and you will still have the A1 package of Capella facilities to boot! From your past post I am sure you will not be at the resort too much anyways. I have lived in the area and stayed at the Talanquera,Costa Caribe,Tropical Colonial and Capella. My number one choice used to be the Capella but now it is the Colonial because I get the best of both worlds that way. At this moment I do not have the time to post the differences between the 4 resorts so I will try to give you more detailed info later.When did you say you are going?
Thanks guys, specially you, grand_dre.

I got my answers.

Thanks dulce, I will be calling you later.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
miguel said:
Actually, the opinions are towards not staying there but I was told that if I stay at the Coral Costa Caribe, that I would be very unhappy too.
"Unhappy"? I respect people have different opinions/tastes but lets be honest, none of the hotels in JD area are top notch by any stretch of the imagination! Anyway, hope the Colonial meets your needs!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Come again?

drloca said:
"Unhappy"? I respect people have different opinions/tastes but lets be honest, none of the hotels in JD area are top notch by any stretch of the imagination! Anyway, hope the Colonial meets your needs!
Colonial?. What Colonial?.

Actually, I ended up looking at our very own DR1 review on the Talanquera and the reviews are not that bad( at least the people who posted their reviews were not harsh about the place ).

I spoke to DR1's dulce (thanks dulce) and she told me about some nice ones, I decided on one but I will only booke it for 1 day just in case I have to get the hell out of there and move to another one. If I like it, I will just booke it right away for the remainder of my trip.

That said, my thanks to some of you for the help.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Update!!!!!

I got back a few days ago and I just wanted to thank the posters that were helpful with their insights regarding my question about the Barcelo Talanquera AI Resort.

I decided to booke it for just 2 days, starting on the 17th, to see if I was going to like it. I thought that within 2 days, if it was not for my liking, I would just go to another one. I ended up booking another 2 more days.

There were many hearsays and many "it's good" or "it's bad" that I just decided to go ahead and see for myself. I made a good decision. I loved the place!!. Very family oriented. Lots of kids and couples. No hookers or sankies/sankiettes, then again, we did not go to the disco!.

It's not the best resort, by all means. But it's more than good enough FOR ME. From the beginning, when we checked in, EVERYBODY was very friendly and attentive to us, from the bellboy going to our car to get our luggages as soon as we parked, to Rafael (at the front desk), to Enrique (guest service rep) who introduced himself to all the people that were waiting to be checked in and made himself available for anything we needed ( I requested a cake and he had them deliver it to my room the next day, free of charge).

The food was good, the drinks were great. The room was very, very clean. The staff were very, very attentive and great. The pools were clean. The beach area had people cleaning it ALL THE TIME. Security all over the place. The 2 buffet restaurants (Cocolo and Buloya) were always clean and full of waitresses and waiters. The Italian A La Carte restaurant (Miramare) was always full and the food looked delicious. Always something to eat until 2am. The Bar Services was open from 10am to 2am. Children's playground and shows, nightly and dancing shows every day. Internet office. Medical office on property. What more can anyone want/need?.

I will not recommend this resort to anyone since people have different tastes and likes. What I saw as a plus, someone may see it as a minus.

I will only say that I was very, very impressed, not only by the resort itself, but by the way Louisa and I were treated.

As I said before, I will not recommend it for the already mentioned reasons but I will end this by saying that I WILL VISIT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Ps: Thanks MommC for recommending it.

Last edited: