Gym

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The gym is on the highway between Sosua and Cabarete, justs outside of Sosua. From the stop light by the Texaco station, heading toward Cabarete, you pass the Productos Sosua supermarket, a car wash on same side of street, then a street that goes only to the right. Big sign on the corner that says gym. Turn right and a short way to the gym.

If you are walking, it is within walking distance of any place in Sosua. I walk almost daily from El Neptuno.

If you use only the machines upstairs, the montly membership charge is RD$700. If you want to also use the treadmills and elipses on first floor, I believe the price is now RD$1,000/month. Don't know what the short term price is for vacationers who want to work out.

allcharms1

Jul 18, 2004
Thanks

Ken said:
The gym is on the highway between Sosua and Cabarete, justs outside of Sosua. From the stop light by the Texaco station, heading toward Cabarete, you pass the Productos Sosua supermarket, a car wash on same side of street, then a street that goes only to the right. Big sign on the corner that says gym. Turn right and a short way to the gym.

If you are walking, it is within walking distance of any place in Sosua. I walk almost daily from El Neptuno.

If you use only the machines upstairs, the montly membership charge is RD$700. If you want to also use the treadmills and elipses on first floor, I believe the price is now RD$1,000/month. Don't know what the short term price is for vacationers who want to work out.

thanks again,

what do you think of the gym? I think the prices are a bit high, but then again i havent seen it yet.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
They have free weights. Whether they have any that go well over 100 lbs, I doubt that. I haven't seen any world class dumbell lifters at the gym. Use the barbells instead.

allcharms, the gym has a lot of machines. Not the newest, but recently spruced up considerably. They have a lot more equipment than you would expect to find in a place like Sosua. For every muscle group they have at least 3 different machines. My sons, who spent a lot of time in gyms in the US, were surprised and impressed and said they would have no qualms about working out there.

If you think the price is a bit high, you have a problem since there is no alternative in Sosua.

A

apostropheman

in may 2 of my friends used the gym for a week. they were very impressed with the equipment and the high level of maintenance however they were not at all impressed witrh the price. i believe they paid, for only the second floor 700 pesos each and would have had to pay 1000 pesos if they had required the use of bothe floors. sounds like the temp weekly rate is the same as the monthly for residents. as they are both latino and fluent in espanole i suspect that was the going rate.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Then join for a month.
$35USD is really not a big deal for a vacation amenity.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The price is the price and you can't change it. Also, it is very common for the charge per month for a short time user to be higher than a continuing member. This gym is not unique in that respect.

The suggestion to join for a month at the members price may not be feasible. There used to be an additional fee collected the first month for new members. Don't know if this is still the case or not.

Has as been confirmed, there is a lot of equipment for a small town like Sosua, and there is no alternative if you want to work out during your stay. If the price is too high for your budget, do a lot of walking for cardio and bring an exercise band and work out in your hotel room.

allcharms1

Jul 18, 2004
what about

Ken said:
The price is the price and you can't change it. Also, it is very common for the charge per month for a short time user to be higher than a continuing member. This gym is not unique in that respect.

The suggestion to join for a month at the members price may not be feasible. There used to be an additional fee collected the first month for new members. Don't know if this is still the case or not.

Has as been confirmed, there is a lot of equipment for a small town like Sosua, and there is no alternative if you want to work out during your stay. If the price is too high for your budget, do a lot of walking for cardio and bring an exercise band and work out in your hotel room.

As I said, the price is a bit high but I have yet to see it... from what I am reading it is well worth it. I am not staying in a hotel therefore will need to check this out. Also, is it possible to pay daily?

gracias,
Charms

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
allcharms1 said:
As I said, the price is a bit high but I have yet to see it... from what I am reading it is well worth it. I am not staying in a hotel therefore will need to check this out. Also, is it possible to pay daily?

Yes, you can pay daily. But usually the daily rate is lower if the period being paid for is longer. Unfortunately, I'm leaving on Tuesday for a month in the US and won't have time to go to gym on Monday. Otherwise I would find out what the visitor rates are and post the information. Maybe another poster who goes to the gym can get this information.

Regarding the two floors, on the ground floor are treadmills, elipses, and bikes. But there are also bikes and rowing machines on the second floor, so there are also opportunities for cardio if, you like I do, pay only the second floor rate. I walk to and from the gym and consider that part of my cardio. No charge for that.

allcharms1

Jul 18, 2004
Ken said:
Yes, you can pay daily. But usually the daily rate is lower if the period being paid for is longer. Unfortunately, I'm leaving on Tuesday for a month in the US and won't have time to go to gym on Monday. Otherwise I would find out what the visitor rates are and post the information. Maybe another poster who goes to the gym can get this information.

Regarding the two floors, on the ground floor are treadmills, elipses, and bikes. But there are also bikes and rowing machines on the second floor, so there are also opportunities for cardio if, you like I do, pay only the second floor rate. I walk to and from the gym and consider that part of my cardio. No charge for that.

Ken: thanks for the usefull information. I will be in Sosua August 2nd, when are you returning from the US??

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
allcharms1 said:
Ken: thanks for the usefull information. I will be in Sosua August 2nd, when are you returning from the US??

The 7th, but late evening. Hope to go to gym on 8th, but it may be the 9th. I usually go about 11 am. Perhaps we'll meet at the gym while you are in Sosua.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The total price for both upstairs and downstairs is 900 pesos a month. I think a daypass is 250 pesos.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tor said:
The total price for both upstairs and downstairs is 900 pesos a month. I think a daypass is 250 pesos.

If you are talking about members, the downstairs price is RD$700 unless it has been changed in past few days.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have not written anything about the downstair price. I just wrote that the price for both upstairs and downstairs is 900 pesos, and not 1000 pesos that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tor said:
I have not written anything about the downstair price. I just wrote that the price for both upstairs and downstairs is 900 pesos, and not 1000 pesos that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Sorry,I misspoke in my message. The upstairs price is RD$700, unless changed within last couple of days.

May 12, 2005
Just curious thats all. My gym here in NY has dumbells up to 200lbs. I use dumbells to bench press, barbell bothers my shoulders. On a good day I can get a few reps with those 120's.