Surname: Maldonado

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
According to my late grandmother when her husband died, all ties with his family were cut. he died when my father was a kid. There were no family feud at the time of his death; everyone got along well. The family lost touch right after his death. The only information I know about him is that he was from the Puerto Plata area. His name was Sotero Maldonado, and I think his mother's name was Ramona. Also, one of his sister was named Juana. My grandmother use to tell us about a famous baseball player by the name of "Guayubin" who was related to us. She told us that he was my grandfather's nephew, the son of Juana Maldonado. I think there was an article about him early this year. Does anyone know any descendant of "Guayubin" perhaps I can get more info about that branch of the Maldonado through them.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The great baseball player Guayub?n's real name was Di?medes Olivo, and Guayub?n was his nickname because he was born in the town of Guayub?n, on the Northwestern region of the country (La L?nea). So I suggest you explore the possibility that your relatives are from Guayub?n, DR.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
It?s possible to search a little in genealogy index etc, but you need to provide much more information, such as what years are you talking about,
name of g grandmother, any siblings etc.
Maldonado is a very common last name, especially in Puerto Rico, but also in DR in different areas.

benitoz

Mar 9, 2006
My wife's grandfather is Di?medes "Guayub?n" Olivo's brother

Greetings to all!

It just so happens that my wife's grandfather, Blas Olivo, is one - if not the only - of Guayub?n's surviving brothers. Blas and Di?medes had another professional baseball playing brother, Federico "Chich?" Olivo. Blas lives in Santiago with my father-in-law and other relatives, saw him last on Feb. 11th for my son's birthday.

I'm just starting to get interested in researching their history given my wife and I got married in Dec. 2002 and with the birth of our first son we figure the genetics are potentially there ;-). I would be willing to help you put the pieces of the puzzle together, granted through the help of my father-in-law who knows the family history and has much more info than I do.

If you prefer I have no problem in taking this discussion "off-line" directly to my email address. Best regards!