Glasses/Contact lenses

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Just wondering about the availability and pricing of glasses and mostly contact lenses in the DR. Readily available? Expensive?
Also, about prescription drugs-same question.
Thanks muchly.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
jrf said:
Just wondering about the availability and pricing of glasses and mostly contact lenses in the DR. Readily available? Expensive?
Also, about prescription drugs-same question.
Thanks muchly.

Prescription drugs readily available, except here no prescript is necessary unless it is on narcotics list. There are many farmacias, but few carry everything. So you sometimes have to go to several to find what you are looking for.

Glasses readily available. The bigger the city, the more places there are to buy them. I believe contacts readily available, too, but I don't use them so have never looked into it.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think you can get contact lenses in Puerto Plata. I know they are selling Contactlenses equipment (fluids) in the farmacia in Sosua next to Playero.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I always bring several pairs of loafers to my Optometrist!
It helps him fit the contacts on my feet.

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
I found Contacts to be cheaper than the states. Bought an emergency pair for my daughter last year. In the states paid $120 USD for extended wear. In DR paid equivalent of $35 USD for the same brand color and prescription. Glasses passed the fashion conscious teen test and the affordability test by mom. But this was last year and I know things change in DR from day to day, so check around.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
A couple of years ago I bought some disposable lenses (Acuvue) in Santo Doming. I didn't need to show them a prescription. I don't recall the exact price, but I remember them less expensive than my Optometrist, but more expensive than Costco (whose prices are much better than 1800contacts).