Moving to the DR!!

sean2005

Jul 4, 2005
Hi my names Sean and i am moving to the DR with my father on the 25th of july.......This is my first time on the forum and am hoping to get some good advice. I have a couple things i would like to have some knowledge about before going. First of all i plan on finishing my high school there and speak no spanish what so ever...Is this gunna be a problem or do they offer high school programs in english?What's it like being a canadian in the DR and trying to find part time work for myself ?Will dominicans be hard to communicate with not knowing any spanish ???I do plan on studying spanish as well but am going to concentrate first on getting my high school.My father thinks its a bad idea for me to buy a pocket translator thinks "its the easy way out"....Any comments?? thanks for reading and hope to hear from you all soon .

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
sean2005 said:
Hi my names Sean and i am moving to the DR with my father on the 25th of july.......This is my first time on the forum and am hoping to get some good advice. I have a couple things i would like to have some knowledge about before going. First of all i plan on finishing my high school there and speak no spanish what so ever...Is this gunna be a problem or do they offer high school programs in english?What's it like being a canadian in the DR and trying to find part time work for myself ?Will dominicans be hard to communicate with not knowing any spanish ???I do plan on studying spanish as well but am going to concentrate first on getting my high school.My father thinks its a bad idea for me to buy a pocket translator thinks "its the easy way out"....Any comments?? thanks for reading and hope to hear from you all soon .

There are private high schools in English. If you tell us where you will be, we can tell you if one is nearby.

Dominicans are very friendly. You won't have any trouble getting acquainted. Just be selective in your friends as you are where you are now.

You will start picking up Spanish quickly, and many Dominicans know at least some English. Don't get a pocket translator, just start practicing. Some people are natural speakers of other languages, but most of us have to work at it. The more you rely on yourself, the faster you will learn. But do study Spanish so that you know the difference between good Spanish and what you may hear from friends and on the street. There will be occasions when it will be important to you to speak good Spanish.

Getting a job may be tough unless you and your father have contacts that will find a place for you. There are more young Dominicans than there are jobs.

This forum is a good place to get information, not only from the threads on the message board but also from the archives of past threads.

sean2005

Jul 4, 2005
North coast in cabarete!

Hi again, and thank you for your comments and suggestions...I will be living in the north coast in cabarete.I am very interested in learning about the culture and am willing to do whatever it takes to become part of it.My father will be opening companies in time but until then wants me to find part-time work to keep busy and maybe put some spending money in my pocket!Any suggestions on things i should bring with me that i may NEED?I hear electronincs TV's,Radios ect... are very expensive in the dominican.Should i maybe purchase 1 or 2 of them here and maybe make a profit off them ?Will they be hard to sell when i get there?thanks again and hope to hear from you again soon.
P.s.I will not buy the pocket translator now and will just try harder at studying and practicing instead.(thanks for the advice).Sean

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi, search this thread about moving to DR, and you will find many, many threads with simular questions.. and also many different opinions.
All very useful to you!

High quality products are more expensive here, than in the States.
To make things very simple, bring all you need and feel you want to have in your life for personal use. Don?t think about reselling etc.
Just what YOU need, and that you consider important.

Good you want to learn Spanish the hard way! It will go fast, just talk, don?t mind misstakes, learn from them instead and talk, talk, talk!

Part time job might be difficult in the beginning, try to take time to get to know the culture, the people, enjoy the beautiful beach of Cabarete.
Try Kite or Windsurfing!
Travel around to the countryside outside Cabarete, and the nearby towns of Sosua, and of course Puerto Plata!
Worry about work when you know the island a little better.
The salaries here are so low, so you would ( upon arrival before being a little more Dominicanized!!! ) not even work for that kind of money anyway!

And again, welcome to the island!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HI Sean, welcome to our world! Like Carina says, check out the other posts here on DR1, it is so full of great information. she also gives good advice, bring what you consider to be necessary for yourself. The hassles of bringing things with you will outweigh any possible profits. If you travel back and forth maybe then consider bringing things down. That is if you travel back!

Cabarete is a wonderful area. There is so much to see and do. Enjoy it.

Don't be afraid to come back to us with questions! But first try searching the forums. It makes good reading.

My congrats to you and your dad for making the big move. And good for you - doing some research ahead of time! Keep us posted on your adventures.

poochie77

Jun 21, 2005
off topic

Hi Sean,
What part of Canada are you from and why did you and your dad decide to make the big move?

sean2005

Jul 4, 2005
Sean here again, thanks for the advice once again, very much appreciated ;) .....Ive moved from ottawa ontario,where i was living with my mother, to a small place on the map called sydney in Nova scotia with my father, and most of my immediate family... My father will be starting construction in the DR and Loves the culture and people there! Sick of COLD winters and bad government...lol.

I was wondering what would i need to prove what i HAVE completed in my education. Does anyone know how this works......??I need 8 more credits to finish my high school and am willing to do whatever it takes....unless this means starting from scratch then im gunna figure something else out......lol.

butterfly2

Jul 27, 2004
School Credits

sean2005 said:
Sean here again, thanks for the advice once again, very much appreciated ;) .....Ive moved from ottawa ontario,where i was living with my mother, to a small place on the map called sydney in Nova scotia with my father, and most of my immediate family... My father will be starting construction in the DR and Loves the culture and people there! Sick of COLD winters and bad government...lol.

I was wondering what would i need to prove what i HAVE completed in my education. Does anyone know how this works......??I need 8 more credits to finish my high school and am willing to do whatever it takes....unless this means starting from scratch then im gunna figure something else out......lol.

Hi Sean,

I'm a teacher in Newfoundland and I would guess that your June report indicates the courses that you have completed so far and the other credits you need to complete for graduation. If not, I would advise you to contact your School District office (they're still open) ASAP and I'm sure, if you explain the situation, they would be able to provide you with something official indicating the courses you have already completed for Level I - III.

All the best to you and your Dad!

Darlene (butterfly2)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
As the school systems are somewhat different, bring papers/reports for all grades you have completed.
Also ask your principal for a letter of good conduct or simular, as social behaviour is very important here ( just a letter where you would be recommended as a student ), and your medical journal from the school if you have such in the US ( I am Swedish myself....so I don?t know your system completely ). If they don?t give it ( at school or by your doctor ), ask for copies.
This is not difficult here, you will have no problems.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
sean2005 said:
Sick of COLD winters and bad government...lol.

Your father will escape the cold Winters but he ain't seen nuttin yet when it comes to bad government.

HEREFORD said:
Better to learn English before trying to learn Spanish
Actually for a young person his board talk is quite understandable; you should see what passes for English on another board I moderate when a couple of British teens start trying to chat on the board; before they get shut down. Now that is comical.

Gregg

P.S. - Sean, Greetings from Dartmouth.