Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazing!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazing!

On my way to my mini-finca today a motorcycle comes to a corner and turns left without even looking at my jeepeta coming up on his arse. Not even a passing glance to his right.

On the way back on the highway that goes from Puerto Plata to Cabarete two vehicles are stopped side by side chatting with only one lane in each direction. If you honk your horn at these people they look at you like there is something wrong with YOU.

What the hell is with these Dominicans? Do they all just want to die?

Are they inconsiderate?

Are they UNCIVILIZED?

Are they just STUPID?

Are they Inconsiderate, UNCIVILIZED and STUPID?

WHAT IS WITH THESE PEOPLE?

I know that there are many intelligent Dominicans who wouldnt dream of doing anything like this but there are so many that do DO IT it is truly stunning.

Are these the people that end up begging in wheelchairs at every traffic light in Santiago? Are these the walking wounded that you see gimping around every day?

So, what is it with these people?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know, but this is the reason I don't drive myself, when I'm in DR.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

you did not make a picture off it...
    lol...
    love the dominican road trips...
    espect the unespected.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

hehehe! Escot has Road Rage... Don't worry buddy, it will pass.. In the mean time, you need to grow one more thing... you need to grow eight eyes just like a spider to survive on these roads. I had a similar little issue with a motoconcho just yesterday and it does make the "road rage demon" rise up inside... One just wants to drive right over the motoconcho.

More seriously, I do not think the drivers are stupid or inconsiderate or such stuff (Maybe a little), but have you ever seen a driver's ed. course anywhere in the DR? People do what they are taught to do. I have a theory about the drivers here... if they do not see you, it is inconceivable for them that you exist, i.e., they cannot imagine that you could be there... So, if you don't exist, they'll drive as if you're not there, because they really do not see you.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Escott
    On my way to my mini-finca today a motorcycle comes to a corner and turns left without even looking at my jeepeta coming up on his arse. Not even a passing glance to his right.

On the way back on the highway that goes from Puerto Plata to Cabarete two vehicles are stopped side by side chatting with only one lane in each direction. If you honk your horn at these people they look at you like there is something wrong with YOU.

Are they inconsiderate?

Are they UNCIVILIZED?

Are they just STUPID?

I know that there are many intelligent Dominicans who wouldnt dream of doing anything like this but there are so many that do DO IT it is truly stunning.

Are these the people that end up begging in wheelchairs at every traffic light in Santiago? Are these the walking wounded that you see gimping around every day?

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Relax Scott and enjoy paradise, remember you are retired.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought you'd gotten used to this by now! lol That's what's considered "normal" down here... why would they want to change?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayne
    Relax Scott and enjoy paradise, remember you are retired.
    I am relaxed but just truly amazed at what I see every day. It is so rediculas it is comical and I am often laughing at them. They look at me like there is something wrong with ME. Maybe there is...

Escott

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Escott

Are they inconsiderate?

Are they UNCIVILIZED?

Are they just STUPID?

hahaha, it sounds like you need a vacation, but wait aren't you already on vacation

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Chris was straight on in her comment. I see this too often in POP as well.
    And yes, they just drive, the motoconchos donīt see what is not there, and it goes for some of the car drivers too. Sometimes there are more careful ones, they still drive same speed, and at least hunk the horn.. he he
    They donīt expect the unexpected, because they donīt see the unexpected so it does not exist.

On a serious aspect, I donīt think they even put the way of driving in aspects such as "Do I want to live" etc etc
    This is what they know, and most of the times it works out...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast