Amazing!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
On my way to my mini-finca today a motorcycle comes to a corner and turns left without even looking at my jeepeta coming up on his arse. Not even a passing glance to his right.

On the way back on the highway that goes from Puerto Plata to Cabarete two vehicles are stopped side by side chatting with only one lane in each direction. If you honk your horn at these people they look at you like there is something wrong with YOU.

What the hell is with these Dominicans? Do they all just want to die?

Are they inconsiderate?

Are they UNCIVILIZED?

Are they just STUPID?

Are they Inconsiderate, UNCIVILIZED and STUPID?

WHAT IS WITH THESE PEOPLE?

I know that there are many intelligent Dominicans who wouldnt dream of doing anything like this but there are so many that do DO IT it is truly stunning.

Are these the people that end up begging in wheelchairs at every traffic light in Santiago? Are these the walking wounded that you see gimping around every day?

So, what is it with these people?

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Don't know, but this is the reason I don't drive myself, when I'm in DR.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
you did not make a picture off it...
lol...
love the dominican road trips...
espect the unespected.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
hehehe! Escot has Road Rage... Don't worry buddy, it will pass.. In the mean time, you need to grow one more thing... you need to grow eight eyes just like a spider to survive on these roads. I had a similar little issue with a motoconcho just yesterday and it does make the "road rage demon" rise up inside... ;) One just wants to drive right over the motoconcho.

More seriously, I do not think the drivers are stupid or inconsiderate or such stuff (Maybe a little), but have you ever seen a driver's ed. course anywhere in the DR? People do what they are taught to do. I have a theory about the drivers here... if they do not see you, it is inconceivable for them that you exist, i.e., they cannot imagine that you could be there... So, if you don't exist, they'll drive as if you're not there, because they really do not see you.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Escott said:
On my way to my mini-finca today a motorcycle comes to a corner and turns left without even looking at my jeepeta coming up on his arse. Not even a passing glance to his right.

On the way back on the highway that goes from Puerto Plata to Cabarete two vehicles are stopped side by side chatting with only one lane in each direction. If you honk your horn at these people they look at you like there is something wrong with YOU.

Are they inconsiderate?

Are they UNCIVILIZED?

Are they just STUPID?

I know that there are many intelligent Dominicans who wouldnt dream of doing anything like this but there are so many that do DO IT it is truly stunning.

Are these the people that end up begging in wheelchairs at every traffic light in Santiago? Are these the walking wounded that you see gimping around every day?

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I thought you'd gotten used to this by now! lol That's what's considered "normal" down here... why would they want to change? ;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
wayne said:
Relax Scott and enjoy paradise, remember you are retired.
I am relaxed but just truly amazed at what I see every day. It is so rediculas it is comical and I am often laughing at them. They look at me like there is something wrong with ME. Maybe there is...

Escott

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Escott said:

Are they inconsiderate?

Are they UNCIVILIZED?

Are they just STUPID?

hahaha, it sounds like you need a vacation, but wait aren't you already on vacation :nervous:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I think Chris was straight on in her comment. I see this too often in POP as well.
And yes, they just drive, the motoconchos don?t see what is not there, and it goes for some of the car drivers too. Sometimes there are more careful ones, they still drive same speed, and at least hunk the horn.. he he
They don?t expect the unexpected, because they don?t see the unexpected so it does not exist.

On a serious aspect, I don?t think they even put the way of driving in aspects such as "Do I want to live" etc etc
This is what they know, and most of the times it works out... ;)

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Third world country, baby, and it "ain't" going to change. At least, not in our lifetime.

Juniper

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Robert said:
I love it, keeps me sharp :)

Then I must be razor sharp! On the way back to Santo Domingo from the Elliot's 4th of July Bash ("the most fun you can have without getting arrested" which should be "the greatest bunch of people you can meet outside of the Big House" ;-) at Rocky's, Alan and I had two NDE (Near Death Experiences) with white light and all, and both provoked by motorcycles.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
My theory...

I think people drive in DR like this ? if there is a reasonable chance that they can do something on the road without killing themselves they will probably give it a try (irrespective of any laws). For example, if you see a red light, take a glance either way and then blow through it 9 times out of 10 you won?t broadside anybody. Also, if you missed where you were supposed turn off a highway and the next place available is a 1 way - you might take a look if anyone is coming and try to dart in the one way and most times you will make it. Same goes for putting 2 adults and 2 kids on a motorbike with no lights ? most times they will make it safely. Or hanging off the top of a truck on a bumpy road.

The thing is that chances of having an accident each individual time of driving stupidly is still fairly low but over time there will be higher incidence of accidents and when they occur they will be ugly and tragic.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They Indeed ARE Inconsiderate!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND Irresponsible!!

Why do they "DO IT?"
For the same reasons that they stop in the middle of the road,and supermarket aisle,and hold a conversation,play music full blast all day and all night,throw garbage everywhere,use the "High Beams" all the time,drive like they are the only vehicle on the road,lie,cheat,and steal!And all the "OTHER" things they do that "OUR" parents taught us not to do,THAT is WHY they do it!

But they sure can't take what they like to dish out!!!And I give back double what they give me!!I have six 500,000 candle power spot lights mounted on the roof and "Defensa" of my van.I give them two chances to dim their lights by flicking my "brights",and then it's "Hit the 3 million Candles"!!!I have a "Truck Horn" which I also use after giving them 1 minute by the clock,to have their "Saludos" and get the hell out of my way.If they don't move after the horn,I just drive right "Thru" them,Really! The last guy who blocked my way by pulling over to my side of the road to talk,and not letting me by got his fender crunched.He chased me for about 6 blocks until I got stuck behind some heavy equipment.He got out of his car,took "something" out of his trunk and walked up to my van."What are you going to do" he said."DO!" I relied."I have already DONE IT!" I again drove away.I arrived at my place of work and told the security guard that a "Crazy Man" with a gun was following me.I told him not to let him in,and to call the police!End of story!!

"DON"T GET MAD,...........GET EVEN!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Chris said:
hehehe! Escot has Road Rage... Don't worry buddy, it will pass.. In the mean time, you need to grow one more thing... you need to grow eight eyes just like a spider to survive on these roads. I had a similar little issue with a motoconcho just yesterday and it does make the "road rage demon" rise up inside... ;) One just wants to drive right over the motoconcho.

More seriously, I do not think the drivers are stupid or inconsiderate or such stuff (Maybe a little), but have you ever seen a driver's ed. course anywhere in the DR? People do what they are taught to do. I have a theory about the drivers here... if they do not see you, it is inconceivable for them that you exist, i.e., they cannot imagine that you could be there... So, if you don't exist, they'll drive as if you're not there, because they really do not see you.
The problem is that we dominicans are talkers and some dont even care where they start a conversation.....They could careless where it is. It could be in a middle of a war while everybody else is running for cover.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Some days

Oh Escott I so understand how you feel. There are some days that this behaviour is acceptable, I am used to it. And then there are days that I can't stand it!!!!!!

Inconsiderate - yes
Uncivilised - yes
Stupid - yes

I would add though that they are soooooo stuck in RIGHT now, they cannot or will not see the consequences of their actions, for themselves or anyone else. THey are truly oblivious to what does not concern them this minute. We are expected to watch out for them! Or we suffer the consequences.

I would also add the word arrogant. It is my right to stop wherever the hell I want! That is the attitude. However you do not also have that right. Let's try for our next DR1 party. Let's all us foreigners park in the middle of the road, block all traffic, party on the street etc... let's see how much trouble we can make. And Escott please take the photos.

Can't tell you how many near misses I have had. Some days, I scare myself here.

pacito

Jul 28, 2004
No police anywhere

In my opinion, the reason why Dominicans drive so badly is because they have no fear of ever getting a fine. Only for not wearing a seat belt or talking on a cell phone!!!.
I believe that to a degree all drivers everywhere in any country will do stupid things if they feel that nobody is watching. In DR there are no cops to be seen 99% of the time. They do not have proper cars or even motocycles...and of course they are so badly paid that if they were to stop someone they may get corrupted....The solution to the horrific traffic fatalities in DR rests with the government who should invest a goodly amount of $ in a proper police force.

diego

Aug 16, 2003
The other night

I was waiting for a Caribe tour bus to arrive in Charamicos when I started to count the cars & motoconchos that run a red light or went in the one way street the wrong way, 82 out of 100. I stopped counting after 15 minutes.
The Police could make a killing at that intersection, yet all they do is stand at the Playero all day long and wait for drivers without seatbelts to drive by.
Being in this country for 13 years and driving for as long, there is only one rule.
You need bigger balls than the guy coming at you.
I installed Truck Horns on my Car,
Criss Colon gave me a good idea with his added Lights, Criss where did you buy them?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
My Fantasy...

I guy four huge truck horns and mount them on the back of my SUV. Next time some jerk starts honking because I will not change lanes, go through a red light, or whatever stupid reason...I launch Operation Blast Away.

But back here on earth I just roll up the windows, turn on the A/C and radio, and take no mind to the jerk honking his horn.