Poor word choices!!!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Copied from Dr Debates

Originally Posted by Mirador
I have further researched the offensive word, and have found out its etimology. Niggardly means "miserly" or "stingy", and the first written record of the word dates from 1530, and the noun niggard, "miser", has been around much longer, having been used by Geoffrey Chaucer in 1374.

Now, just because some colored folk living on a certain street and corner in New York City take offense at a perfectly legitimate and accepted word only because its pronunciation suggests a slang word derived from the word Negro, the rest of the English speaking world should stop using it?

My God, what planet are you from. Fag in England is a cigarette, you definately would not go to the states and walk up to a guy and say, "Do you have a Fag". Now would you? Use some common since. There are so many other words that have the same meaning as Niggardly (DUH, I KNOW WHAT THE WORD MEANS!) but don't you think a bit a civility in your part would come to play in your word selection. If you choose to use it, so be it, but don't be surprised that someone, white or black, may not know what it means, or someone may not hear the "dly" part because a gust of wind distorted the sound. Next thing you know, there is a shouting match, or blows start to throw. Like I said, Know your audience, and use your best judgement.

Well, as far as the audience here, you probably could have taken the "dly" off and gotten away with it. It wouldn't suprise me.

Point is the WORD is perfectly used in Miradors context, Just because you would not use it in Harlem does not mean that you can't use it another english speaking country, or even in the USA once you get away from the Cities. :cry: And it is not a US board. Politicly Correct bah humbug. :tired:

Can't ask for a Fag in the US true because you won't get your smoke, but you will offend somebody as much as using the N word. Just a different person. :cross-eye

Worst conversation I ever sat in on and did not understand was between myself, a Brit, a Scot, and an Aussie, oh and Nuffi. :nervous:

Any words in spanish or other languages, CO?O is used by kids here but a very bad word in Cuba. ;)

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Poor choice of words indeed

"Worst conversation I ever sat in on and did not understand was between myself, a Brit, a Scot, and an Aussie, oh and Nuffi."

Last time I checked, a Scot was a Brit, and wtf is a Nuffi? In case you mean a Canadian from Newfoundland, that would be a Newfie which can be an affectionate or derisive term. It all depends on the circumstances. Or perhaps you have coined two new nationalities

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
got me

stan chapman said:
"Worst conversation I ever sat in on and did not understand was between myself, a Brit, a Scot, and an Aussie, oh and Nuffi."

Last time I checked, a Scot was a Brit, and wtf is a Nuffi? In case you mean a Canadian from Newfoundland, that would be a Newfie which can be an affectionate or derisive term. It all depends on the circumstances. Or perhaps you have coined two new nationalities

got me on the newfie, but not sure I call a Scot a Brit to his face more so if he is a highlander. :nervous:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
bienamor said:
got me on the newfie, but not sure I call a Scot a Brit to his face more so if he is a highlander. :nervous:
Don't lose your head!
Couldn't resist.
mkohn

Small World

Apr 10, 2005
stan chapman said:
Last time I checked, a Scot was a Brit,

Being British insinuates being English so many Scots consider this offensive & refuse to acknowledge themselves as such. Technically though they are Brits as they are from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Scots are Brits.

Small World said:
Being British insinuates being English so many Scots consider this offensive & refuse to acknowledge themselves as such. Technically though they are Brits as they are from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I didn't know that, I was only born & raised there. I don't know any other countrymen who don't consider themselves British. I wonder what the ones you know do when they want a passport, or an NHS number, or join the military? Oh well! Stan.

Small World

Apr 10, 2005
stan chapman said:
I didn't know that, I was only born & raised there. I don't know any other countrymen who don't consider themselves British.

I have never been to Scotland so I concede if this is not the typical picture of Scots in their homeland, maybe I have inverted the Scottish take on nationality from my experience of the English one & the opinions Scots' I've met in SE London & Kent, whereby being British & English are synonymous but a Scot is a Scot is a Scot.

However I know of at least one of your countrymen would deny being British with their last breath. My uncle went to meet his future father-in-law up in Scotland who, on hearing my uncle's cockney accent yelled to his daughter to "get that f*cking foreigner ootta ma hoose".

I'm not suggesting calling a Scot a Brit is the same as calling a black person the N word.