New Construction Technique

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Has anyone on this board heard of any company in the DR that is, or has experimented in utilizing the construction technique of building with Insulation Concrete Forms (ICF)? it seems to be a rapidly growing trend here in the states. I read that the reason for its popularity is because it is supposidely lower in cost, less labor intense and it provides better insulation than brick and mortar constructions.

I read up on a few companies that are leaders in using this technique and they all stated that the building process is vey cut and dry. I immediately started investigating how it is done, and already I can envision how the benefits would multiply in the DR.

To begin with, poured concrete can be formulated to be more resiliant than blocks, thereby the walls would built stronger to withstand natural disasters.

the ICF cast come in different angles and sizes and can easily be manipulated into different architectual shapes, corners and arches. This would elliminate tedious manual specialization and use of special tools.

Because the forms are molds, they can be cut or lenghten for a perfect fit, as opposed to blocks that have to be broken into smaller pieces. That would elliminate waste.

An entire wall of a home can be poured at once and left to be cured as opposed to working on a daily basis. The forms even come in gangs, for constructing walkways, staircases or an entire row of stadium seats.

I would like to hear other peoples opinion on this technique.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
In case you are talking about poured modular wall unitis over styrofoam, we have built in Florida using this technology. It works great in a country with a high level of organisation (do you get the drift?). You can safe time (money), as your walls will come to the (hopefully ready) building site, with most electrical wireing and plumbing pre-installed... If you screw up at the moment of unloading this (quite havey) unit's... you just lost all and more than what you hoped to gain. Even though I initially thought I would, I never used that technology in Spain... for the lack of organisation and skilled workforce.

Using styrofoam building blocks: I have never used it but I have considered using them here in Spain (I won't only because I am finishing one last project here to move over to the DR.)
In my opinion it is someow easier to create effective insulation against cold than heat. I've never been able to figure out why. Still, good insulation is always better. Here in Spain, we currently use what you'd call CBS blocks in the US (also available in the DR. If structural resitstance is an issue, they can be filled with steel reinforced concrete just like the syrofoam blocks). All our homes here in Southern Spain are built with double lined walls with an insulation gap (outside CBS block, 2" of styrofoam boards, and 3" of bricks inside which will also contain the wirering and plumbing) for insulation purposes.
Styrofoam block technology has in my opinion one big and undisputable advantage: The speed at which they can be installed, which again, can save you money... especially in some high income countries like Germany and the US... (get my drift again? ;)).
I have contemplated building a pool using styrofoam technology in a colder region of Spain... but the deal fell thru... so it never happened.

Coming back to the DR:
It can work for your home and it has an additional advantage in that, because of it's easy assembly and it's light weight, you may do part of you building yourself with little experience and fisical effort (which is nice in a hot environement).
But ofr comercial building I dont think that it is a profitable solution for that environement. Salaries are low enough to spend time lugging CBS blocks arround and assembling them wet. People are not to sensible about the insulation issue, although they should very much be. Oragnisation is not really what seems to define Dominican working ideology (in practice on building sites). You'd have to import your blocks... I know they're light but they will take up the space of a couple of shipping containers for each project, unless you plan to experiment with styrol and vapor yourself in the DR (?).

I have not seem them advertised or offered in the DR.

I hope this is of help to you.

... J-D.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Insulation is not so much the problem

Perhaps up in Constanza or Alto Bandera it might be good to have, but the reality of building here is to look at what has been used way back when and employ modern construction (even "modern Dominican" methodology) to the building.

Case in point #1: Ever see the "tejeman?" construction down along the highway to Barahona? Literally woven twigs covered with some mud, a "two water" roof of palm leaves or something else, always hanging very low.
Benefits: The weave and mud is good insulation. The low hanging roofline only allows the early morning and late evening sun to hit the walls, basically keeping the house in the shade all day long. Not the greatest place, but certainly livable.
Principle: Shade = control of heat.

Case in point #2: Ever look at the really old houses in most of the towns? They usually have 10' to 12' or 14' ceilings, usually with a steepled roof of two or four "waters" ....Why? to keep the heat up and out of the house, away from the lower levels where the people sit. Most people marvel at how cool our living room area is. Okay, we do have fans, but it is, by nature, the coolest place in the house. Why? 11" ceiling and an opening around the top of the wall...so the heat has some place to go.

Conclusion: If you want a cool house, build high and leave some place for the heat to go. And try to build east - west....to catch the breezes through the house.

Cordially,

HB :D:D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
There are a bunch of guys on the North Coast that Alberto introduced me to that wanted to use that system of building here. Problem as I saw it was that they had no money and were on a shoestring.

Insulation works two ways. One is to keep out the cold and the other is to keep out the heat and the a/c in. Electric is very dear in the DR and amoung the most expensive in the world. It WOULD behoove you to have an insulated house.

If you find anyone doing this let me know as I am interested also. One problem that they have is the pouring of the concrete busting the foam and then they have to stop the pour in that area and repair.

Escott

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I know they've started using this in the Turks and Caicos Islands. No idea of how successful the first project was, but can find out next time I go there.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Forget it!

CODIA will never allow it, and if they do, you'll be working for them, as a day laborer.

Escott said:
There are a bunch of guys on the North Coast that Alberto introduced me to that wanted to use that system of building here. Problem as I saw it was that they had no money and were on a shoestring.

Insulation works two ways. One is to keep out the cold and the other is to keep out the heat and the a/c in. Electric is very dear in the DR and amoung the most expensive in the world. It WOULD behoove you to have an insulated house.

If you find anyone doing this let me know as I am interested also. One problem that they have is the pouring of the concrete busting the foam and then they have to stop the pour in that area and repair.

Escott

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
100% Successful

Chris said:
I know they've started using this in the Turks and Caicos Islands. No idea of how successful the first project was, but can find out next time I go there.

The first project I know using this technique was Pumpkin Bluff on North Caicos which was 100% successful. Keep in mind folks that the Turks and Caicos are only a short distance from us, so they have the heat to deal with too.

Stay well,
Amy

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Escott said:
What are you talking about? They allow anything here and without even having an interest in where.

Escott

CODIA determines and enforces building codes through the ministry of public works (Obras P?blicas), and unfortunately the codes don't take into account new technologies, which leaves tremendous room for graft. Why do you thing the Turks & Caicos's experience hasn't been tried here. Actually, it has, but it did not get past CODIA. I know, I've been there. My brother Enriquillo and I tried it about 10 years ago using the same building technology with a German patent.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I got a building permit for a building drawn on a napkin. When I asked if they wanted to know which lot number after I paid the fee they told me it wasn't necessary. No pay off at all. They just didn't give a damn.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
And when you are comfortably installed in your new home, you will hear a knock on your door, and a strange group people will ask you to produce the blueprints certified by CODIA, and if you don't, you will hear threats about tearing the place down, although a hefty bribe could avoid you the hassle. Later, another group will show up, this time from the electrical utility, and threatening with a preposterous fine unless you produce the blueprints, certified by CODIA. Go ahead, show them your napkin, make their day!

Escott said:
I got a building permit for a building drawn on a napkin. When I asked if they wanted to know which lot number after I paid the fee they told me it wasn't necessary. No pay off at all. They just didn't give a damn.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Question

Is that the technique in which they can build in ridiculous forms and also have almost transparent (all hearsay for now) concrete? They supposedly did this in some museum in Spain and it was a revolutionary idea about 2 or 3 years ago. I am interested in knowing more about it myself........

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Mirador said:
And when you are comfortably installed in your new home, you will hear a knock on your door, and a strange group people will ask you to produce the blueprints certified by CODIA, and if you don't, you will hear threats about tearing the place down, although a hefty bribe could avoid you the hassle. Later, another group will show up, this time from the electrical utility, and threatening with a preposterous fine unless you produce the blueprints, certified by CODIA. Go ahead, show them your napkin, make their day!
I will write you here when that happens. Somehow I doubt that they can be so efficient. They would just charge more money to line the polititians pockets and wouldnt leave the room for the payoffs.

Don't hold your breath for me to post my problems to you though because I don't believe it will happen.

Escott

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mirador said:

If one is working with reputable builders, designers, architechs, these certifications are obtained during the process at the right times. I agree that these certifications are necessary and required, but I don't agree that one necessarily will be stopped from continuing a building process, if you're using new methodology. It is all in how you do it, and of course, who you know.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chris said:
If one is working with reputable builders, designers, architechs, these certifications are obtained during the process at the right times. I agree that these certifications are necessary and required, but I don't agree that one necessarily will be stopped from continuing a building process, if you're using new methodology. It is all in how you do it, and of course, who you know.

Exactly!

Plus I agree 100% with Mirador.

Make sure you get all your permits/stamped/approved etc otherwise you run the risk of getting a knock on the door. Yes, it happens, often. I think Fabio recently made a post about this.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com

I have family in Canada building with this kind of product and it works well but when we started our project here on the North Coast we found that shipping the forms in was way too costly and the froms require extra concrete making the cost way to high.