Robbery Juan Dolio, Hotel BArcelo Cabello

smoky

Jul 6, 2005
Normal in the DR, that tourists and residents get robbed, but this case is different. The employees are the thiefs....
Sunday, 3.7.2005, between 1pm and 1.30 pm: a hotelguest pass the reception and goes to his car. He put all luggage in the trunk, watched by the securityguy from the parking area (by the way: small, closed to all sides and with security!!)and goes to the cashmachine. After taking money the guest went to the reception and pay his bill. Back to the car (that takes all together just 30 min max) he realize that the trunk is open. They have stolen:
Laptop Dell, Kodak Digikcem, cheque-book ROYAL BANK of CANADA, passport, private things and a pistol 9mm TYpe Carandai Serie 644009
The owner went to the police and received the following message: oh, that happen very often there... and the police was not really interested in this case.
so the hotelguest called a friend in the police in Sto Domingo. They came and the chief of the security tells them: I?m not interested to talk to you (means to police and hotelguest). The hotelmanager means: we are not responsable for damage/robbery in the parkingarea... But this case is different. It?s not a thief from outside. The only persons who watched the guest is the receptionist and the guy from the parkingarea. So here we have the stuff from the hotel who make observation and robbery.
The police from Sto Domingo is investigating. Monday first result: 1 person in jail, one on the list to get picked up.
Meanwhile the hotelguest inform the headquarter in spain. And now, after involving also journalists, they get fire in the .... and move.
With this thread I search around for other victims in this hotel. Barcelo will be responsable for the steeling...

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I am disturbed by this news. I have stayed at the Barcelo Capella many times and have referred many other people there. I am not saying that it didn't happen but I have always found the employees there to be very honest. I will be interested to hear the outcome of this story. Good luck

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
where in the world???

smoky said:
Normal in the DR, that tourists and residents get robbed, but this case is different. The employees are the thiefs....
Sunday, 3.7.2005, between 1pm and 1.30 pm: a hotelguest pass the reception and goes to his car. He put all luggage in the trunk, watched by the securityguy from the parking area (by the way: small, closed to all sides and with security!!)and goes to the cashmachine. After taking money the guest went to the reception and pay his bill. Back to the car (that takes all together just 30 min max) he realize that the trunk is open. They have stolen:
Laptop Dell, Kodak Digikcem, cheque-book ROYAL BANK of CANADA, passport, private things and a pistol 9mm TYpe Carandai Serie 644009
The owner went to the police and received the following message: oh, that happen very often there... and the police was not really interested in this case.
so the hotelguest called a friend in the police in Sto Domingo. They came and the chief of the security tells them: I?m not interested to talk to you (means to police and hotelguest). The hotelmanager means: we are not responsable for damage/robbery in the parkingarea... But this case is different. It?s not a thief from outside. The only persons who watched the guest is the receptionist and the guy from the parkingarea. So here we have the stuff from the hotel who make observation and robbery.
The police from Sto Domingo is investigating. Monday first result: 1 person in jail, one on the list to get picked up.
Meanwhile the hotelguest inform the headquarter in spain. And now, after involving also journalists, they get fire in the .... and move.
With this thread I search around for other victims in this hotel. Barcelo will be responsable for the steeling...
Where in the world if you left your trunk open would you NOT run the risk of being robbed?? Come on, this has nothing to do with the DR as it happens a gazillion times a day anywhere in the world.

JOHN

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
johne said:
Where in the world if you left your trunk open would you NOT run the risk of being robbed?? Come on, this has nothing to do with the DR as it happens a gazillion times a day anywhere in the world.
If I'm reading correctly (and I might not be, the post was hard to read), the OP said the trunk was opened when they returned, not when they left.

What makes the story different from some of the others, is that the poster purports the thieves worked at the hotel. Also surprising was that the hotel manager and the chief of security were unwilling to help the hotel guest.

Nov 5, 2004
rellosk said:
If I'm reading correctly (and I might not be, the post was hard to read), the OP said the trunk was opened when they returned, not when they left.

What makes the story different from some of the others, is that the poster purports the thieves worked at the hotel. Also surprising was that the hotel manager and the chief of security were unwilling to help the hotel guest.

Unless they didn't want it to get out to the public and admit it...

Normally a hotel manager and security at the hotel would be the first to bring back the accused workers for questiong and try to get to the bottom of it...

I wonder how the OP has such details for sure?

If all this info is correct...I am very sorry that such a thing happened.

Unless I totally misread it..(and it was a bit hard to read)..why did a tourist have a gun with them in the trunk??

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
But he did'nt say...

rellosk said:

the trunk was closed when he left. and---he blames the security guard based on the fact that he was the only one around. Where he is probably wrong is he doesn't know that security guards for the most part don't watch anything and anybody could have taken the merchandise.Additionally,he did not say that the trunk lock was jimmyed open.So, if you go with the OP thinking, the security guard needed to watch him go away, pry open the locked trunk, remove all the merchandise , stow it away, return to his place, all in under 30 minutes (not damage the trunk) and have the support of the hotel's management.
Didn't know security guards were that tricky but then again what do I know?

JOHN

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You have to wonder what people keeping the passport, money and guns in the trunk unattended are thinking of. Same ones that put the ID, medicine, jewelry and cash in checked luggage.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
johne said:
Additionally,he did not say that the trunk lock was jimmyed open.So, if you go with the OP thinking, the security guard needed to watch him go away, pry open the locked trunk, remove all the merchandise , stow it away, return to his place, all in under 30 minutes (not damage the trunk) and have the support of the hotel's management.
Didn't know security guards were that tricky but then again what do I know?
JOHN
Perhaps the car was unlocked and the thief simply reached in and popped open the trunk.

Seems like an inside job to me but without any proof, what can he expect?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
An honest question!.

The thing that I don't understand is that in all my years of traveling all over the globe, I have never, never, EVER put my luggage in my car and THEN check-out!.

Who in their right mind would do such a thing. The normal thing to do is to check-out and then have an employee of the resort take your luggage to your car while you are behind him. Some people make it easier for thieves!.

Ps: someone's lack of sense will not keep me from staying in that resort for a few days, in a few days.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You just reminded me

miguel said:
The thing that I don't understand is that in all my years of traveling all over the globe, I have never, never, EVER put my luggage in my car and THEN check-out!.

Who in their right mind would do such a thing. The normal thing to do is to check-out and then have an employee of the resort take your luggage to your car while you are behind him. Some people make it easier for thieves!.

Ps: someone's lack of sense will not keep me from staying in that resort for a few days, in a few days.
that many of the hotels I stayed out you need to check out FIRST before exiting with your luggage. In fact at La Hamaca in BC you need an exit card that shows you paid your bill -then the bell boy will load your luggage and allow you to leave.
I also seem to recall (about 3 weeks ago) reading a story about 2 college age students from Europe pulling a scam about having their stuff stolen (in what country I dont remember) and then confessing to the police when their story did't hold up.
Sherlock Holmes

smoky

Jul 6, 2005
sorry for my bad english!
Here the info to clear out things:
the trunk was locked, that is for shure. and it was not planed to keep the luggage in the trunk for days. Fact was: a group of tourists enter the reception. the resident (not a tourist-thats why he had a gun) prefer to bring all to the trunk, pick up the money and go back to the reception. meanwhile the tourists have checked in.
and the only gusys who watched the resident going with luggage to the car was the receptionist and the security guy in the parking area.
And for shure nothing would happen if it happens to a tourist. That one is going. The resident stay here and can follow up things.
An informed journalist could not get a contact to the manager. They keep him in the phoneline for more than 6 minutes until the line get disconnected.
But to inform the headoffice in spain bring results. They feel a little bit responsible when they see the action.
and fot the one who was wondering whjat people keep in the trunk:
first of all it is much better to put ALL in the trunk. Keep it in your car - anybody can see it. and to break a window is fast done. So the trunk is the most safety place. But when they break your locker, what can you do? Normally you fell safety on a closed parking area with security - or not? But I will inform people about the followings things what will happen. BUT PLEASE: If someone knows people who had same experience there, pls contact us!!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Many years ago, about 6 or 8, there was a string of robberies in the same hotel. Rooms were forced opened, cars also, and tourist started staying away. The hotel's image began to suffer, and the national police intervened. Finally, the culprits were discovered, a gang made up of local thieves and hotel employees. Maybe the old gang of thieves has reactivated?

smoky

Jul 6, 2005
Originally Posted by miguel

OK! Very smart. First of all and like I said before: there comes a big group of tourist in....all personal are busy with carrieng luggage to rooms. And I also heard from robberys on the reception or in a lane for checkup. Airport/railwaystation . . . but for shure that will never never ever happen to you. thanks for understanding! The case is: the own personal are the thiefs. So in this case they used the last chance they had.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
miguel said:

Who in their right mind would do such a thing.
It depends on the hotel. Many times I've left items in the trunk of my car while checking in or out of the Jaragua.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
quoted from the OP:
"watched by the securityguy from the parking area (by the way: small, closed to all sides and with security!!
There are 2 parking lots at the Capella and they are both open and both on the street. Anyone in the area can watch,wait,plan and steal from either parking lots. Only one of these parking lots are 100% visible from the security guards station at one time.
I do hope your friends theft gets resolved (but I doubt it). Nobody deserves to have anything stolen from anyplace.
My next story may insult some Dominicans so I will say in advance that if you are not a crook then it does not apply to you. Therefore you should not take it personal. The only time I had anything stolen from Capella was during a Dominican Holiday weekend. The resort was filled past capacity with Dominicans. I was warned repeatedly by many staff members to not leave anything out in the open because the Dominicans will steal it. I took my watch off to go swimming and it was gone when I got out of the pool. The staff was more upset than I was and trying to find it for me. It was a $5 drugstore special that I could afford to lose.
You did ask about experiences at Capella and I have found the saff there extrememly honest. Heck, when I first started going there the maid would not even take the money from the pillow for fear of being accused of stealing. I finally learned that tips were best given in person.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Why do some people always look to hold others liable for their mistakes and stupidity!!! Why should Barcelo Resorts be held responsible or have their reputation tarnished because of the ignorance of some tourist?????

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
drloca said:
Why do some people always look to hold others liable for their mistakes and stupidity!!! Why should Barcelo Resorts be held responsible or have their reputation tarnished because of the ignorance of some tourist?????

Yes, hold Barcelo liable .....because the event happened on their property under the noses of security and receptionist. Our victim took reasonable measures to secure his property by locking the goods in the trunk of the car and would have an reasonable expectation his valuables were protected because of the presence of the security guard. Had there been no security guard the victim would have to assume the risk for his goods. However, if the hotel is paying for security, and you observe security personnel, you have a reasonable expection your safety and your valuables are protected. If you are victimized you should be compensated.

The above being said, local culture has the security guards being nothing more than window dressing, useless other than to open and close a gate, and the hotel will be responsible for nothing.

If the facts of this story are true, Barcelo should be held responsible.

Regards,
PJT

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Since I dont believe that the "victim" was the only guest in the hotel at that time, the security guard isnt there solely to watch this car and its contents as he may have had other responsibilities at that time!
Tourists love to play the victim for some reason...oh yes, maybe they will score a free vacation or something like that!!!! ;)

Nov 5, 2004
dulce said:
The only time I had anything stolen from Capella was during a Dominican Holiday weekend. The resort was filled past capacity with Dominicans. I was warned repeatedly by many staff members to not leave anything out in the open because the Dominicans will steal it. I took my watch off to go swimming and it was gone when I got out of the pool. The staff was more upset than I was and trying to find it for me. It was a $5 drugstore special that I could afford to lose.
You did ask about experiences at Capella and I have found the saff there extrememly honest. Heck, when I first started going there the maid would not even take the money from the pillow for fear of being accused of stealing. I finally learned that tips were best given in person.

Many things go missing on La Semana Santa all over the DR. And not just tourists' things. On the local beach on the North coast that mainly only locals use (there were many Dominicans that came to visit from all over...santo domingo, puerto plata...everywhere for Semana Santa) My husband had his extremely expensive silver necklace and braclet stole out of the pocket of his pants in the 5 minutes he went to cool off in the water, 2 of my Dominican friends had their wallets stolen right under their noses..and many other ppl were "missing" things.

It happens when everywhere is so busy and crowded, anywhere in the world, not just the DR. (I know you know that dulce, but I am jsut making that comment for people in general).

And I have no experience with the particular hotel that is being discussed, but I have found that the case in many places. The maids will not take the money you leave on the pillows, you have to give it to them directly. It's not even worth it for them to steal something out of your room, most of them, if they loose a job, may not be able to get another one for a veryyyy long time, if ever, if they are caught and fired for stealing.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
just a tip...report this and any theft to your insurance company...last year i had a gold chain stolen in sosua...police were useless..WITHOUT a report i called my insurance company (allstate}..and behold the theft was covered under my homeowners...they even gave me more than the chain was worth because of appreciation in the price of gold ...