Public Education System

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
I read a poster's comment in a recent thread which said only 2% of the DR's
capital goes into public education. Is this statement true? Can you please explain how the public education system works in the DR, and why more funds are not delegated for the education of its' citizens?

Yvette

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
yvette said:
I read a poster's comment in a recent thread which said only 2% of the DR's
capital goes into public education. Is this statement true? Can you please explain how the public education system works in the DR, and why more funds are not delegated for the education of its' citizens?

Yvette

I'm glad that you started this thread. I am in no way an expert on the DR education system but I do know that it is a sad case study. Hopefully those with intimate knowledge will provide their insights.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
ALB3 said:
I'm glad that you started this thread. I am in no way an expert on the DR education system but I do know that it is a sad case study. Hopefully those with intimate knowledge will provide their insights.

ALB3,

I am so interested in learning all that I can about this country. Education is very important to me and for :glasses: any nation, so I wonder why more funds are not alotted for the area of education here.

Yvette

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
yvette said:
..., so I wonder why more funds are not alotted for the area of education here.
Mainly because education is not viewed as a priority by the people.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
rellosk said:
Mainly because education is not viewed as a priority by the people.
Thank you for acknowledging the TRUTH!!!!

THE PEOPLE, not the rich, not the politicians, but THE PEOPLE as in the masses.

They protest for everything the government cuts funds towards, except education.

Whose to blame?

The government for making the cut or the people who elected the government and don't even raise their eyebrows?

Hmm, not hard to figure out. Democracy at its finest, give the people what they want and if they don't want it, they'll let you know. Dominicans have let the government know that 2% diverted to the education budget is acceptable.

(on a side note, one has to take into consideration that the government now has more money than it has had in the previous 4 years, so 2% is more than it would have been just a year ago)

There are many who will try to put the blame on the government and the rich, but people here are free to make demonstration and demand the government to do what they want, not one demonstration about education has been made and not one is in the plans.

The government gives the people what they want....

BTW, this could also explain why most poor Dominicans don't improve their education once they move to another country and thus, remain in poverty, not because of the rich or the government, but because of their own mindset that is not based on goals, on planning, or anything other than short term gains and blaming others for a responsibility that lies in their own hands and mindset.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Public Education" in the DR is almost an oxymoron

Problem #1: Hispanic Tradition towards education. All chiefs and no Indians.
For centuries, the only professions offered at 100% of the universities - so-called- in Latin America were: Civil Engineering, Architecture, Law and Medicine. All for the elite, of course. After the big revolution in Argentina in the 20s, things started to change, ever so slowly. In Santo Domingo they didn't change until the 60s when UCMM (now PUCMM) started offering Education, Economics, Nursing, Social Work, Electro-Mechanical Engineering and so forth.

Problem #2: Educators have no prestige. In the 20s and 30s being a school teacher was SOMETHING good and prestigious. This is no longer true. Teachers today are considered as low as the garbage collectors and the water company employees. Just another "empleado p?blico" taking a salary, making as little or as few waves as possible and always keeping a fair nose to the political winds..
Advancement, of course, is dependant not on talent but rather on political committment.

Problem #3: There is no competitive element in the educational system. Anyone can get through the 12 years of primary and secondary schooling with out breaking a sweat--if all the other factors are there like food clothing and a few ball point pens...Anyone can also get into college. ANYONE. And almost into ANY college here. There is no Harvard, Yale or Stanford, no Carniegie-Mellon (sp?), Cal Tech or MIT. You show up, pay your fees and you are in. Now, whether you stay in depends on a lot more that attendance, and in a few universities you will have to perform or else.
There are also no competitive sports between schools, and even at the college level there are precious few competitions.

Problem #4: You can't see "education" . This means that while you can see the school buildings and the highways and the big projects, you cannot see education and no political candidate will ever say that "I have increased literacy by 15% over the past four years!!" "HUH?

Problem #5: There is no groundswell of public opinion (public opinion that counts, that is) in favor for more money for the schools. Anybody that can will send their child to a private school and let the "others" fend for themselves.
Just as we tolerate inefficient fire departments, Police and other public services, everyone that can afford to will tolerate the pi$$-poor education system.

A very sad HB :(:(:(:(:(

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Thank you for acknowledging the TRUTH!!!!

THE PEOPLE, not the rich, not the politicians, but THE PEOPLE as in the masses.

They protest for everything the government cuts funds towards, except education.

Whose to blame?

The government for making the cut or the people who elected the government and don't even raise their eyebrows?

Hmm, not hard to figure out. Democracy at its finest, give the people what they want and if they don't want it, they'll let you know. Dominicans have let the government know that 2% diverted to the education budget is acceptable.

(on a side note, one has to take into consideration that the government now has more money than it has had in the previous 4 years, so 2% is more than it would have been just a year ago)

There are many who will try to put the blame on the government and the rich, but people here are free to make demonstration and demand the government to do what they want, not one demonstration about education has been made and not one is in the plans.

The government gives the people what they want....

BTW, this could also explain why most poor Dominicans don't improve their education once they move to another country and thus, remain in poverty, not because of the rich or the government, but because of their own mindset that is not based on goals, on planning, or anything other than short term gains and blaming others for a responsibility that lies in their own hands and mindset.

So do you think that the tendency towards pessimism with the Dominican people is the result of lack of education, or vice versa? (pessimism was mention in the thread: "The Class System")

Yvette

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
yvette said:
So do you think that the tendency towards pessimism with the Dominican people is the result of lack of education, or vice versa? (pessimism was mention in the thread: "The Class System")

Yvette
Pessimism here has more to do with historical consequences more than anything else.

If one looks closely at the history of this country from the time it was a colony of Spain up to today, it will become crystal clear that up until the 1930s when Trujillo took control, this country was acting more like small miniature kingdoms, especially in the eastern part of the country.

Historically, the Cibao Valley has been wealthier, has always had a middle class, and has had a tendency to be more democratic than the rest of the country. In fact, the Cibao has supplied more presidents than any other region. In the east, it was more feudal, the eastern plains carpeted with plantations with their owners living in lavish mansions. The plantation owners even had their own small armies who also worked the land and at times, their armies defended the country from Haitian intrusion as was the case with Buenaventura and Santana.

The typical drill, if you will, was that a Cibae?o would be elected as president under democratic terms, soon after Haitian army invade and the presidents ask for military help from the eastern plantation owners, more often than not Buenaventura and/or Santana. They came with their private armies, repel the Haitians back to their side and steal as much as possible while they had control of the government. Once the battles settled down, these men and their private armies would go back to the plantations, their pocket would be filled with government money and the Cibae?os continued their democratic rule over the country until the next Haitian invasion and the entire cycle repeated itself.

With all of these invasions, most Dominicans grew accustomed to bubbles of prosperity where many people's living standard increased only to be destroyed with the battles that took place as a consequence of Haitian expansion desires. Having this in mind, it's no surprise that many Dominicans simply work enough to sustain themselves and once that's achieved, they relax a little bit too much. Many have developed a pessimistic sense since historically you build some wealth only so it can be swept away in the next revolution.

As a result of this reality of our history, Dominicans have become pessimist almost by nature.

To answer your question, I think that the tendency towards pessimism among Dominicans has more to do with historical fact and attitudes according to those historical realities that have been passed down one generation to the next.

Today the biggest threat from the western end of the island is cultural and economical more so than political and quite frankly, being pessimist about one's future before one even tries to make it better is a habit that must be eliminated if the typical poor Dominican wants to increase his/her standard of living without wishing for others or the government to give them something and/or wishing to move out of the country.

If anything, poor Dominicans need to become more goal oriented, develop more initiative, and follow through with their plans.

Poor Dominicans also need to stop looking at the government as an entity that is there to supply them everything. They need to work towards their goal of a better life and look at the government as an entity that may or may not help them along the way. In either case, they should still follow through with their desire for a better life and in that sense, their life will become better than they currently are, even if its marginally.

Last edited:

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Problem #1: Hispanic Tradition towards education. All chiefs and no Indians.
For centuries, the only professions offered at 100% of the universities - so-called- in Latin America were: Civil Engineering, Architecture, Law and Medicine. All for the elite, of course. After the big revolution in Argentina in the 20s, things started to change, ever so slowly. In Santo Domingo they didn't change until the 60s when UCMM (now PUCMM) started offering Education, Economics, Nursing, Social Work, Electro-Mechanical Engineering and so forth.

Problem #2: Educators have no prestige. In the 20s and 30s being a school teacher was SOMETHING good and prestigious. This is no longer true. Teachers today are considered as low as the garbage collectors and the water company employees. Just another "empleado p?blico" taking a salary, making as little or as few waves as possible and always keeping a fair nose to the political winds..
Advancement, of course, is dependant not on talent but rather on political committment.

Problem #3: There is no competitive element in the educational system. Anyone can get through the 12 years of primary and secondary schooling with out breaking a sweat--if all the other factors are there like food clothing and a few ball point pens...Anyone can also get into college. ANYONE. And almost into ANY college here. There is no Harvard, Yale or Stanford, no Carniegie-Mellon (sp?), Cal Tech or MIT. You show up, pay your fees and you are in. Now, whether you stay in depends on a lot more that attendance, and in a few universities you will have to perform or else.
There are also no competitive sports between schools, and even at the college level there are precious few competitions.

Problem #4: You can't see "education" . This means that while you can see the school buildings and the highways and the big projects, you cannot see education and no political candidate will ever say that "I have increased literacy by 15% over the past four years!!" "HUH?

Problem #5: There is no groundswell of public opinion (public opinion that counts, that is) in favor for more money for the schools. Anybody that can will send their child to a private school and let the "others" fend for themselves.
Just as we tolerate inefficient fire departments, Police and other public services, everyone that can afford to will tolerate the pi$$-poor education system.

A very sad HB :(:(:(:(:(

If as one poster says, the people don't demand more funds for education because they don't deem it that important, and as you say most who can will send there kids to private schools with the attitude, let others fend for themselves; where is the national pride? and where is the care and concern for the underprivilidged kids who could make a difference in this land who just need a chance? Truely as you stated this is sad. :cry:

Yvette

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Pessimism here has more to do with historical consequences more than anything else.

If one looks closely at the history of this country from the time it was a colony of Spain up to today, it will become crystal clear that up until the 1930s when Trujillo took control, this country was acting more like small miniature kingdoms, especially in the eastern part of the country.

Historically, the Cibao Valley has been wealthier, has always had a middle class, and has had a tendency to be more democratic than the rest of the country. In fact, the Cibao has supplied more presidents than any other region. In the east, it was more feudal, the eastern plains carpeted with plantations with their owners living in lavish mansions. The plantation owners even had their own small armies who also worked the land and at times, their armies defended the country from Haitian intrusion as was the case with Buenaventura and Santana.

The typical drill, if you will, was that a Cibae?o would be elected as president under democratic terms, soon after Haitian army invade and the presidents ask for military help from the eastern plantation owners, more often than not Buenaventura and/or Santana. They came with their private armies, repel the Haitians back to their side and steal as much as possible while they had control of the government. Once the battles settled down, these men and their private armies would go back to the plantations, their pocket would be filled with government money and the Cibae?os continued their democratic rule over the country until the next Haitian invasion and the entire cycle repeated itself.

With all of these invasions, most Dominicans grew accustomed to bubbles of prosperity where many people's living standard increased only to be destroyed with the battles that took place as a consequence of Haitian expansion desires. Having this in mind, it's no surprise that many Dominicans simply work enough to sustain themselves and once that's achieved, they relax a little bit too much. Many have developed a pessimistic sense since historically you build some wealth only so it can be swept away in the next revolution.

As a result of this reality of our history, Dominicans have become pessimist almost by nature.

To answer your question, I think that the tendency towards pessimism among Dominicans has more to do with historical fact and attitudes according to those historical realities that have been passed down one generation to the next.

Today the biggest threat from the western end of the island is cultural and economical more so than political and quite frankly, being pessimist about one's future before one even tries to make it better is a habit that must be eliminated if the typical poor Dominican wants to increase his/her standard of living without wishing for others or the government to give them something and/or wishing to move out of the country.

If anything, poor Dominicans need to become more goal oriented, develop more initiative, and follow through with their plans.

Poor Dominicans also need to stop looking at the government as an entity that is there to supply them everything. They need to work towards their goal of a better life and look at the government as an entity that may or may not help them along the way. In either case, they should still follow through with their desire for a better life and in that sense, their life will become better than they currently are, even if its marginally.

Nal0whs,

I get so much insight about the people of this land and the workings of it's governent from your posts. I appreciate the time you and others take to answer my questions; I am trying to learn as much about this country as I can, the DR has become a prayer project for me, as have other lands.

Nal0whs your posts also inspire me to ask more questions which I will in another thread. But, now, how do you inspire national pride and encourage self-pride in a people? Does it start at home where it should? Should there be more organizations that push education in a more bold way? I await your insight.

Yvette

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Yvette,

You should also take into account something that is not typical Dominican but attributes to the situation:

Currently, there is no abundance of jobs for qualified professional workers. As a result there is a so-called closed job market and the less people have access the better it is for those that do. This does not promote mass education investment in education, which is decided by people that have no interest in promoting this.

Also, the politicians know that ruling an uneducated mass is easier than ruling an educted people.. hence there is no interest in education the children of ones enemies..

Both factors are not specificially Dominican but do contribute to the issue..

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Being an American I suppose I have a certain way of thinking about people and education. I see that I need to step outside of the box. Thanks for educating me; I do want to see this country in it's true light so that I can pray intelligently.

Again, thanks,

Yvette

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You'll love this

You asked, in another post, above," "Nal0whs..., how do you inspire national pride and encourage self-pride in a people? Does it start at home where it should? Should there be more organizations that push education in a more bold way? I await your insight.

In the US, where you and I were educated, we are drilled constantly with national pride. Our school day begins with a Pledge of Allegiance. We are told from the time we are little children to young adulthood, that the US is a land of heros: Washington, Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Ben Franklin, Stonewall Jackson, Daniel Boon, Davy Crocket, and that list just grows and grows, fed by military exploits (whether justified or not) that kept providing more heros.

In school we learn about good government; things like petition and recall. Democracy. We are drilled about caring for the FLAG, its proper use and display.

Back about twenty years ago, the Dominican Department of Education removed the Civics class from the grammar school curriculum!!!!!! Yes they did.

And, as you read Dominican text books, there seems to be a marked lack of anything we would call heros. Duarte? An intellectual leader, an inspiring leader, for sure. But heroic? Hardly. S?nchez and Mella seem puny. Santana is more of an ogre/conman/cattle baron type, hardly something for you to model your behaviour after. Who else? Lil?s? I like the guy, historically speaking. He had balls, for sure, but I don't think you would like your kids to grow up and be like "Lil?s" >>> There is not one "I cannot tell a lie" figure in all of Dominican History. I think it weighs on the national concience..

Then we have the communist-intellectuals that think by destroying the DR and combining it with Haiti they will be doing something "to save the masses"
This group included many influencial poets and writer over the past 40 years, and that old leninist addage, "if you tell a lie often enough times, a goodly percentage of the population will believe it" seems to have take some root.

So where can Dominican pride come from? From baseball players?, NBA draft choices?, an NFL first round draft choice? (He would be my choice!! Economics graduate from Northwestern, no slouch!!).

Personally, I share your concerns and find that Dominicans take pride in small things: children, a safe landing in an airplane; a relative that got a visa, a birth or a wedding, but it seldom extends beyond that sphere. EXCEPT if you suggest what to you seems a better way of doing something. Then you get the "We are in the Dominican Republic and we do it this way!!"
Then they get very, very touchy...I have always thought it might have to do with a small national inferiority complex, such as occurs when you are asked your nationality and you respond "American" , they will say "We are all Americans" ...The dialogue can get long and heated.

HB :D:D:D

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Hillbilly said:
You asked, in another post, above," "Nal0whs..., how do you inspire national pride and encourage self-pride in a people? Does it start at home where it should? Should there be more organizations that push education in a more bold way? I await your insight.

In the US, where you and I were educated, we are drilled constantly with national pride. Our school day begins with a Pledge of Allegiance. We are told from the time we are little children to young adulthood, that the US is a land of heros: Washington, Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Ben Franklin, Stonewall Jackson, Daniel Boon, Davy Crocket, and that list just grows and grows, fed by military exploits (whether justified or not) that kept providing more heros.

In school we learn about good government; things like petition and recall. Democracy. We are drilled about caring for the FLAG, its proper use and display.

Back about twenty years ago, the Dominican Department of Education removed the Civics class from the grammar school curriculum!!!!!! Yes they did.

And, as you read Dominican text books, there seems to be a marked lack of anything we would call heros. Duarte? An intellectual leader, an inspiring leader, for sure. But heroic? Hardly. S?nchez and Mella seem puny. Santana is more of an ogre/conman/cattle baron type, hardly something for you to model your behaviour after. Who else? Lil?s? I like the guy, historically speaking. He had balls, for sure, but I don't think you would like your kids to grow up and be like "Lil?s" >>> There is not one "I cannot tell a lie" figure in all of Dominican History. I think it weighs on the national concience..

Then we have the communist-intellectuals that think by destroying the DR and combining it with Haiti they will be doing something "to save the masses"
This group included many influencial poets and writer over the past 40 years, and that old leninist addage, "if you tell a lie often enough times, a goodly percentage of the population will believe it" seems to have take some root.

So where can Dominican pride come from? From baseball players?, NBA draft choices?, an NFL first round draft choice? (He would be my choice!! Economics graduate from Northwestern, no slouch!!).

Personally, I share your concerns and find that Dominicans take pride in small things: children, a safe landing in an airplane; a relative that got a visa, a birth or a wedding, but it seldom extends beyond that sphere. EXCEPT if you suggest what to you seems a better way of doing something. Then you get the "We are in the Dominican Republic and we do it this way!!"
Then they get very, very touchy...I have always thought it might have to do with a small national inferiority complex, such as occurs when you are asked your nationality and you respond "American" , they will say "We are all Americans" ...The dialogue can get long and heated.

Well said Hillbilly. Good explanation of "heroes". I almost fell out of my chair when they said they were changing the J.P. Duarte Olympic Stadium to the Felix Sanchez Stadium. Nothing against Felix, he is definately a champion but I wouldn't bump the "father of the DR" for the flavor of the week. Just my opinion.

Scandall

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MerengueDutchie said:
Also, the politicians know that ruling an uneducated mass is easier than ruling an educted people.. hence there is no interest in education the children of ones enemies.
That's good Marxist rhetoric. :nervous: Fortunately, politicians are not that cunning. As other posters have pointed out, politicians don't make education a priority because the masses don't make it an issue and hence it won't win votes. They win more votes by fixing potholes and handing out useless jobs.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
rellosk said:
That's good Marxist rhetoric. :nervous: Fortunately, politicians are not that cunning. As other posters have pointed out, politicians don't make education a priority because the masses don't make it an issue and hence it won't win votes. They win more votes by fixing potholes and handing out useless jobs.

I politely disagree, I believe my point is valid.. keep the masses dumb and they will not see what you're doing... and by the way I am not sure about the Marxist part.. it has been in use for centuries... no education for girls, for minorities.. it's all been part of repression systems for ages in each and every empire.. it's actually one of the better systems of keeping control.. no education or no access to govt/military jobs..

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Enlightening

Hillbilly said:

Hillbilly,

Your post is very enlightening! I read alot of posts on how wonderful the DR is, but if I recall the posters were mostly speaking of the beaches, the women and the nightlife! You are helping me to see the blood and guts of the real deal situation there and that helps me to have more of a heart for the people of the DR and to pray intelligently. I thank you, my heart is bleeding.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hillbilly said:

Hillbilly, fabulous post!

Of all the post, this one has to be among your best.

You really hit the nerve I am constantly strattling around in your last paragraph, that is the habit of poor Dominicans primarily to put too much emphasis on little things. Their goals are very short term and rather on the easy side, they are not inclined to aspire to anything beyond mediocrity and when a new better way is proposed, they "We are in DR" excuse comes to play, as if being in an island relinquishes a person of the responsibilities they respond to in other places.

The air here is the same as everywhere else, the land is pretty much the same as other places, the trees are similar to those of other places, the weather is also similar, and a person's ideas, physical appearance, and/or sense of self does not change just because they are in a different place, on an island in the Caribbeant where the eastern two-thirds is referred to as the Republica Dominicana.

People should not do something because that's what "Dominicans do in Dominicana", people should do what works!

I also apply this to the racial issue, though I won't elaborate further on this beyond the following: a person should not do something because they look a certain way and that is what people that look like them "do". Rather, people should simply adapt the best and most efficient way of doing anything and the reluctance of accepting other ways of doing anything by the vast majority of Dominicans is what keeps them in the same place, while time simply passes by.

Good post HB, maybe you should aspire to become that hero that this country lacks! Spreading your ideas of what a society should be will encourage a few others to take lead in briging about change. All we need is one courageous person who is willing to devote his/her life to this and develop a passion for passing such valuable way of seeing the world. The rest (like they say) is history. ;)

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Nal0whs said:
Good post HB, maybe you should aspire to become that hero that this country lacks! Spreading your ideas of what a society should be will encourage a few others to take lead in briging about change. All we need is one courageous person who is willing to devote his/her life to this and develop a passion for passing such valuable way of seeing the world. The rest (like they say) is history. ;)

I know that you are kidding but why don't you aspire to be the "hero" that you are referring to. You ARE Dominican after all, why look to extranjeros for salvation.