Bizarre Thoughts Regarding Ants

Status
Not open for further replies.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Ants ..... ok, got this thought after I gave my daughter some mango to eat - 5 minutes later the table (outside) was covered in ants!!

The ants here are everywhere, especially outside, I find if I leave something sweet on a table outside it's minutes before it's covered in ants. Now, as my mind wanders, I'm thinking, are there lots of ants in the sugar cane fields between Sosua and POP? Do they eat sugar cane? Cause they sure as hell eat mango! And what pesticides are used to prevent them eating all of it, if indeed they do eat sugar cane.

And how come ants dont get fat????

Stay well,
Amy

Wonderdog

Apr 25, 2005
amy2761 said:
Ants ..... ok, got this thought after I gave my daughter some mango to eat - 5 minutes later the table (outside) was covered in ants!!

The ants here are everywhere, especially outside, I find if I leave something sweet on a table outside it's minutes before it's covered in ants. Now, as my mind wanders, I'm thinking, are there lots of ants in the sugar cane fields between Sosua and POP? Do they eat sugar cane? Cause they sure as hell eat mango! And what pesticides are used to prevent them eating all of it, if indeed they do eat sugar cane.

And how come ants dont get fat????

Stay well,
Amy

kekekekeke! That's a good question. I think I read that many ants are now turning to a low carb lifestyle, which is causing a problem in the Sweet N' Low fields east of Santiago.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Scandinavia

Just came back after spendig 3 weeks in Scandinavia on vacation.
It is funny, one of the things that crossed my mind was - Where are the ants?? I could leave stuff out, over night, and nothing... No ants...

Nov 5, 2004
Ants are my biggest problem in the DR.

I HATE ants with a PASSION!!!!!!!!! I am not afriad of them...I jsut really really really hate ants. Especialy thoes little tiny ones in the DR, that swarm everywhere.

My can of ant killing spray (forget what its called) is my best friend, and one of my biggest expenses while I am there.

I am obsessed with killing them...before I go to bed I spray all around the doors and windows to make sure they don't come in. Any ants that come into my room, have picked the wrong room to enter...they will all be dead as soon as they are spotted!!!!!!!! :D

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Killing ants!

PeachezNcream84 said:

I HATE ants with a PASSION!!!!!!!!! I am not afriad of them...I jsut really really really hate ants. Especialy thoes little tiny ones in the DR, that swarm everywhere.

My can of ant killing spray (forget what its called) is my best friend, and one of my biggest expenses while I am there.

I am obsessed with killing them...before I go to bed I spray all around the doors and windows to make sure they don't come in. Any ants that come into my room, have picked the wrong room to enter...they will all be dead as
soon as they are spotted!!!!!!!! :D

The best solution to ants is borax powder. We bring it down from Canada, but it may be available in DR pharmacies.They eat it & also take it home to all their folks & become dehydrated & die. For spiders and cocroaches , use "catnip", sprinkle it behind stoves& fridges etc. It interferes with their breathing & they will go elsewhere! Canadian Bob.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
PeachezNcream84 said:

I HATE ants with a PASSION!!!!!!!!! I am obsessed with killing them...before I go to bed I spray all around the doors and windows to make sure they don't come in. Any ants that come into my room, have picked the wrong room to enter...they will all be dead as soon as they are spotted!!!!!!!! :D

Whoooa there! Slow down on the anger Peaches ... by the way, do you know you?re breathing in that insecticide all night long? May not seem like a big deal but it is pretty serious.

Stay well,
Amy

Nov 5, 2004
amy2761 said:
Whoooa there! Slow down on the anger Peaches ... by the way, do you know you?re breathing in that insecticide all night long? May not seem like a big deal but it is pretty serious.

Stay well,
Amy

haha..you wouldnt know it from that post, but I am generaly a fairly calm person. I just HATE ants.

Ya..Carlos mentioned that to me once..so I usually try to air out the room after..but desperate times call for desperate messures... :nervous:

Canadian Bob...thanks I will try that :)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Dont mean to harp on this,

PeachezNcream84 said:
Ya..Carlos mentioned that to me once..so I usually try to air out the room after..but desperate times call for desperate messures... :nervous:

But airing out the room doesnt help at all. The spray doesnt just evaporate, the chemicals are absorbed by whatever they touch and they stay there till washed off with soap and water.

Stay well,
Amy

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
the proliferation of ants in your garden could have something to do with the acidity (pH) of the soil. I know for a fact that fences, walls, tree trunks etc. painted with a slurry of calcium carbonate (lime) keeps ants away, because ants loose their footing on this material. Also, and maybe, a calciumc carbonate solution) sprayed on your soil could help. It's worth a try!

Nov 5, 2004
amy2761 said:
But airing out the room doesnt help at all. The spray doesnt just evaporate, the chemicals are absorbed by whatever they touch and they stay there till washed off with soap and water.

Stay well,
Amy

I didn't know that..Carlos always said we can just air the room out and come back when it doesn't smell anymore.

Thank you for telling me that. I'll be more careful with it...as long as I have some way to kill thoes darn ants ;)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
PeachezNcream84 said:
I didn't know that..Carlos always said we can just air the room out and come back when it doesn't smell anymore.

Thank you for telling me that. I'll be more careful with it...as long as I have some way to kill thoes darn ants ;)

lol - I'm sure there's a safe way to do it. I'm a little hyper-sensitive to these things because of my daughter .... and my brother is always educating me regarding practices I thought were totally safe, turns out, most of them are NOT!!

Stay well (looking forward to the 5th)
Amy

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I never heard about the one using catnip for spiders/roaches. I happen to have a big bottle of it next to the computer (for our cats) and I think there might be a problem bringing it in thru customs.

Kind of looks (alot) like reefer.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have the answer for you.....

If you take a roll of Pennies and spread them around the counter the Ants will leave ang go next door, works like a charm.

Gringo

Status
Not open for further replies.