Electronics sent to the DR

Nov 5, 2004
My family is looking into renting one of thoes crates to send me my stuff down to the DR. Just one of thoes small ones, with clothes that won't fit in my baggae allowence, my small TV...and a few other little things. It costs around $80-100 cdn for the medium sized one.

When Electronic things are being sent down, (like my little TV) will the DR charge extra for it? It is not as if I will sell it, it is for personal use...

We got the idea from a lady my mom is friends with she sends her family in the Barbados things every few months in these little crates that cost only about $50....but when we checked with the same company they would charge us $500 for the same thing, because when sending to the DR they said it makes a stop in Florida, so has to go through US customs as well...

This other company from Toronto is owned by a Domincan and is much cheaper. I will pass on company name and contact info to anyone who is intrested...

However they do not ship very often..only once every few monmths. The next shipmet is in August.

But back to my question...do I have to pay extra (or will my family) have to pay extra for any electronics I recieve?

Thanks all

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
PeachezNcream84 said:
My family is looking into renting one of thoes crates to send me my stuff down to the DR. Just one of thoes small ones, with clothes that won't fit in my baggae allowence, my small TV...and a few other little things. It costs around $80-100 cdn for the medium sized one.

When Electronic things are being sent down, (like my little TV) will the DR charge extra for it? It is not as if I will sell it, it is for personal use...

We got the idea from a lady my mom is friends with she sends her family in the Barbados things every few months in these little crates that cost only about $50....but when we checked with the same company they would charge us $500 for the same thing, because when sending to the DR they said it makes a stop in Florida, so has to go through US customs as well...

This other company from Toronto is owned by a Domincan and is much cheaper. I will pass on company name and contact info to anyone who is intrested...

However they do not ship very often..only once every few monmths. The next shipmet is in August.

But back to my question...do I have to pay extra (or will my family) have to pay extra for any electronics I recieve?

Thanks all
You WILL have to pay a duty, which can only be paid by the RECEIVING party.The amount charged will be partially determined by what you list and values on your Customs paperwork. I can only say that I shipped 2 english/spanish converters to the DR, the duty was more than the worth, go figure......customs.....they DO make their own rules. Good Luck

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
PeachezNcream84 said:

Thanks all

Hiya Peaches , I am Sending 2 TV's and A few Other things ! I am in Nova Scotia , Will they Pick up and SHip from here ?

If So, Please Send me his name ASAP. I am leaving to Relocate there on the 16th. I would have it ready for him .

Nov 5, 2004
jojo2130 said:
Hiya Peaches , I am Sending 2 TV's and A few Other things ! I am in Nova Scotia , Will they Pick up and SHip from here ?

If So, Please Send me his name ASAP. I am leaving to Relocate there on the 16th. I would have it ready for him .

Okay..I'm working late, but I will send it to you as soon as I get home.

Only thing is..as I said..he does not ship whenever you want..he sends everything down at one time every few months..he just sent one, and is not sending a shipment again untill August.

So if you have som family memebers who can get everything ready for you...

Just bring what you need untill August and then wait for the rest.

Where in the DR are you relocating too? I leave for the DR on the 17th!!! :)

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
My advice:

Sell everything where you are now
Buy new stuff here, with garantee (or something like that)
Than it cannot damage during the transport, and you have at least equipment that can be serviced in this country

Customs can be a BIG pain-in-the-***, (and that is a soft expression) if you can avoid it ... avoid it.., i hear that sometimes it goes correctly and smooth, but that never happend to us.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
PeachezNcream84 said:
Okay..I'm working late, but I will send it to you as soon as I get home.

Only thing is..as I said..he does not ship whenever you want..he sends everything down at one time every few months..he just sent one, and is not sending a shipment again untill August.

So if you have som family memebers who can get everything ready for you...

Just bring what you need untill August and then wait for the rest.

Where in the DR are you relocating too? I leave for the DR on the 17th!!! :)

That Is perfect ! I can Have it al ready whenever he is set !

Ill Be In Sabaneta , Cabarete Area On the 21st (My Birthday )

I am In No Rush to have my Things there . I have a House rented and I am all set !

Joe

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Peachz we didn't finish our conversation that we started this weekend so I forgot to add my two cents. Being on DR1 for the last 6 years, I wouldn't bother sending anything that you can't fit in your suitcase. You end up paying more than the stuff is worth in some cases or things seem to disappear as others have reported.

If you do insist on shipping anything follow what Pib wrote in this thread. It's full of good advice for personal as well as commercial importing.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21056&highlight=moving+household+goods

Last edited:

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
DunHill said:
My advice:

Sell everything where you are now
Buy new stuff here, with garantee (or something like that)
Than it cannot damage during the transport, and you have at least equipment that can be serviced in this country

Customs can be a BIG pain-in-the-***, (and that is a soft expression) if you can avoid it ... avoid it.., i hear that sometimes it goes correctly and smooth, but that never happend to us.
GOOD ADVICEbutttttt some people won't listenLOL

Nov 5, 2004
Thanks for the links Anna

Well..I don't really have much to sell..and I'm not moving permantly yet. Just for 6months- 1 year.

But...Instead of bringing my huuuuge suitcase STUFFED with clothes and paying $80 overweight on it to the airport..might as well pay the $100 get the container..and get my mini TV...(which would not be worth it to sell..but is about 3 or more times more expensive to purchase in the DR)..and some bigger things that are harder to bring in my suitcase....

Like a few bottels of my fav. shampoo and bath stuff that they don't have in the DR...just things like that....all my extra pairs of shoes..and any little things that I forget to bring.

I don't have anything that I would have shipped to me that is worth selling.

It's just stuff that we thought would be easier to send then to carry....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I understand what you are saying dear but it's the duty you have to pay on these things that can be more than what they are worth and what they cost new.

DUTY, TAXES, PROPINA,

If your TV is only worth 100.00 but they decide it's worth 300 they will charge you duty and taxes on the 300. Get it? ;) And hopefully it gets there in one piece.

Who needs a TV in the DR? :laugh:

Ok I won't say anymore. :cross-eye

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Not worth shipping those things.
You might end up in paying taxes here to get your stuff out that is way too much, as the items are listed here with a certain value.

This happens often with people shipping, when we get packages by mail, when we get things by DHL etc.

It does not matter what your parents pay there, that price is settled.
But it is not as easy as you just go and get your stuff out here, all declared items are checked and subject of TAX.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
ggn420 said:
You WILL have to pay a duty, which can only be paid by the RECEIVING party.The amount charged will be partially determined by what you list and values on your Customs paperwork. I can only say that I shipped 2 english/spanish converters to the DR, the duty was more than the worth, go figure......customs.....they DO make their own rules. Good Luck
Simple.......duty exceeds cost......Hummm
Buy Dominican!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Couldn?t agree more ggn420!!!!

ggn420 said:
Simple.......duty exceeds cost......Hummm
Buy Dominican!

I know a person here in POP who just weeks ago desided to ship her microwave from Canada here. Everyone told her not to, but she desided she knows best.
Plain micro, about 30-50 canadian.
Shipping 50 cdn.
TAXES USD 112.

Add to that the struggle with the customs, the time this takes, the trips there...
Microwave in POP about 2600-3500 pesos depending on which one, new.
Not new, at a compra venta, I?d say about 1500 pesos..

Go figure. :cross-eye

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
carina said:
I know a person here in POP who just weeks ago desided to ship her microwave from Canada here. Everyone told her not to, but she desided she knows best.
Plain micro, about 30-50 canadian.
Shipping 50 cdn.
TAXES USD 112.

Add to that the struggle with the customs, the time this takes, the trips there...
Microwave in POP about 2600-3500 pesos depending on which one, new.
Not new, at a compra venta, I?d say about 1500 pesos..

Go figure. :cross-eye
La verdad....I didn't mention the cost was around 10US each, and 1Lb. shipping via UPS to the hotel55US. Total rip-off.Never again. They could have bought in SD for 20....Hummmmm

Nov 5, 2004
So you are all saying..even though the guy that owns this company is Dominican..and tells my mom there will me no extra charge to me when I pick it up..he is wrong?

If I am jsut sending nothing electornic then...only clothes and shoes and shampoo stuff....

You are all saying I will ahve ot pay more??

I am not arguing..I know you are all tehre and ahve been through it..just trying to make sure...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Now you got it.

Sure they guy says it won't cost any more as far as his end goes but he forgot to tell you about duty and taxes and stuff. :bandit:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
PeachezNcream84 said:
So you are all saying..even though the guy that owns this company is Dominican..and tells my mom there will me no extra charge to me when I pick it up..he is wrong?

If I am jsut sending nothing electornic then...only clothes and shoes and shampoo stuff....

You are all saying I will ahve ot pay more??

I am not arguing..I know you are all tehre and ahve been through it..just trying to make sure...

Peachez you are not a resident of DR, and if the customs deside this is not for personal use, and you come with your not valid touristcard, they might put luxury tax on the items you mention, it is between 20-40 % of the value of the goods. They set the value.
You might end up paying tax even if it is for personal use.
If it is sent in your husbands name, as he is a resident of DR, it will most surely be considered import.

Taxes etc is not the responsibility of the shipper, so this company have no need to inform you about it. They also would gain nothing in telling you what might or might not happen when you clear your goods.

My advice: Just drop the whole idea.

Nov 5, 2004
carina said:
Peachez you are not a resident of DR, and if the customs deside this is not for personal use, and you come with your not valid touristcard, they might put luxury tax on the items you mention, it is between 20-40 % of the value of the goods. They set the value.
If it is sent in your husbands name, as he is a resident of DR, it will most surely be considered import.

Taxes etc is not the responsibility of the shipper, so this company have no need to inform you about it. They also would gain nothing in telling you what might or might not happen when you clear your goods.

My advice: Just drop the whole idea.

Ok..I hoenstly belive you...
but one question...how the hell are old clothes and shoes considered luxury???? (and if I pick it up in the time i have my tourist card, can they charge?....OH! And can I buy a NEW tourist card?)

So the guy who told my mom I will not have to pay ANYTHING whenI pick it up..does not know what he is saying?They will for sure charge me for a small bin of clothes and shoes (if I don't send my TV)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
PeachezNcream84 said:
Ok..I hoenstly belive you...
but one question...how the hell are old clothes and shoes considered luxury???? (and if I pick it up in the time i have my tourist card, can they charge?....OH! And can I buy a NEW tourist card?)

So the guy who told my mom I will not have to pay ANYTHING whenI pick it up..does not know what he is saying?They will for sure charge me for a small bin of clothes and shoes (if I don't send my TV)

Peachez, here you never ever now.
For a 15 day tourist card you would be considered not needing that amount of clothes, shoes etc.
It might not look old to them.

Send what you want, be prepared to have cash, and don?t be unhappy if it turns out to be expensive.

The guy who told your mom, told her what he believed she wanted to hear.
He is not responsible for the DR customs, and if you get to pay he will just say, "really, I had no idea.." and his life goes on.

Example: Foreign shoes are about 4000 pesos and up here. 40 % tax on that....
This is why we who live here permanently do not ship things from back home...

Nov 5, 2004
carina said:
Peachez, here you never ever now.
For a 15 day tourist card you would be considered not needing that amount of clothes, shoes etc.
It might not look old to them.

Send what you want, be prepared to have cash, and don?t be unhappy if it turns out to be expensive.

The guy who told your mom, told her what he believed she wanted to hear.
He is not responsible for the DR customs, and if you get to pay he will just say, "really, I had no idea.." and his life goes on.

Ok I asked my mom in more detail about the convo, and showed her this thread.

She said for $180 for the medium sized crate (don't know what size that is yet) as logn as we let him know if there are any electoronics...it will not cost more..we just need to let him know...and it will be $180 (cdn) to be delieved to YOUR DOOR. You do not need to pick it up..etc...

No way this could happen? Too good to be true?

I don't know..he says no shipment going out untill August..maybe someone personally takes and delievers it that is going then anyways. I don't know.

But a reputable company refered my mom to him.