help

sarita

May 5, 2005
my son is registered as being dominican but i also want him to have british citizanship. (im britsh) ;) i called the british consulat and they told me to get a nacimiento (or something like that) anyway i got it and took it to the office in puerto plata. when i got to the british consulate and explained to them that i want him to have british citizanship they checked his birth certificate and my birth certificate and then gave me a passport form to fill in. does this give him citizanship? if not why did they give it to me because although i would like him to have a british passport his british citizanship is more important. also what papers does he get with british citizanship? hes 11 weeks old on tuesday and has to be registered as british before he is 6 months old. as everything takes so long over here i woud like to get it done as soon as possible. hope someone can help. ps his father is dominican and we live close to puerto plata.(just incase this information is needed)

thanx

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I believe passports are only issued to citizens, but to be sure, why didn't/don't you ask the consulate the question?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Your son is British by birth (actually dual citizen). A Passport has to be issued for proof of citizenship. This is done by your providing proof of your citizenship. When he reaches 18 he can renounce one of his citizenships if he chooses.
The point is he is already British, just needs a passport issued to prove it.