Mama juana

poochie77

Jun 21, 2005
Hi all!
I bought some Mama juana when I was in punta cana last month. Does anyone know how to prepare it. I put honey and rum but it just doesn't taste the same. Do you have to add red wine as well?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
My last batch I added raisons and honey and some red wine and after soaking in the raisons and honey for about two weeks I poured it into the bottle with herbs. I have also found that some molasses gives it a kick but still add honey.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mamajuana

mamajuana is corruption of the word 'damajuana' an anglicism derived from an English word for a glass container, a glass balloon, known as a 'demijohn'. It is never spelled 'mama juana'.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Mirador:

Where is it never spelled 'mamajuana'??? :nervous:

Because in DR it's ALWAYS spelled MAMAJUANA... :eek:

Some people get so technical about everything!!! I think you NEED some MAMAJUANA... :bandit:

poochie77: I was taught by my Dominican fiance, that the perfect way to prepare MAMAJUANA is to pour 1/2 liter of red wine, 1/2 liter of honey and as much rum (BRUGAL, preferably) as the bottle will take! The roots have to have been 'cured' prior to that, meaning that you have to repeat that process a few times, and leave the liquid in with the roots for a week at a time, until when you taste it, it tastes sweet and intoxicating!!! ;)

Good luck!!

MQ

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Mirador said:
mamajuana is corruption of the word 'damajuana' an anglicism derived from an English word for a glass container, a glass balloon, known as a 'demijohn'. It is never spelled 'mama juana'.

try again

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
carlos said:
try again

Ok, I'll try... The correct spelling is 'mamajuana' not 'mama juana', just like you don't spell 'maria juana', but 'marihuana'. Now where's my bong? ;)

By the way, my etymology of mamajuana is correct.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Also, let me add a little history. Just like smoking pot, mamajuana originated as a medicinal potion, there are different recipes for different ailments... the reason for the predominant bitter taste... Somewhere along the line someone decided to exploit the potion as a recreational beverage...

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Mirador said:
Also, let me add a little history. Just like smoking pot, mamajuana originated as a medicinal potion, there are different recipes for different ailments... the reason for the predominant bitter taste... Somewhere along the line someone decided to exploit the potion as a recreational beverage...

lol

:)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Mirador:

Yes, your etymology was right!! :rolleyes:

Now, go have some mamajuana or smoke some pot, and LIGHTEN UP!!! :eek:

MQ

daisyone

Aug 16, 2003
poochie77 said:
Hi all!
I bought some Mama juana when I was in punta cana last month. Does anyone know how to prepare it. I put honey and rum but it just doesn't taste the same. Do you have to add red wine as well?
Hi Poochie.
I add the most sickening sweet (cheap) red wine to the rum & honey. It balances nicely. Try Mogan David blackberry..it seems the best for me.
Daisy ;)

poochie77

Jun 21, 2005
Thanks

Thanks guys, I guess it just needs time cause it's tasting a lot better with age! Cheers!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MAMAJUANA

1) The reason that mamajuana tastes bitter the first time you make it is because the wood, leaves and spices inside are too new.(green)

2) Generally, one would put cheap gin in the bottle for approx. 6 weeks to get the bitter out, then pour it out and make your first mix. Often times, the first batch is a bit bitter anyhow, and you should consider getting it out of the bottle into another bottle so as to stop the process. The second batch will be smoother, and so on. As time goes on, the longer you leave it in the bottle, the smoother it gets. I have run into some stubborn bottles that took as much as 3 months to "cure".

3) The mix.... Approx. 90% dark rhum, 8% honey, 2% cheap red wine and some people add a couple of secret ingredients. (small box of raisins is good)

4) There is no set rule about how sweet you make it. The best thing to do is make up 3/4 of the bottle, shake well, and adjust it to taste. It will taste more or less the same when fermented-aged as when you first make it. The difference is that it will be a whole heck of a lot smoother.

5) The bottles seem to last forever, and just get better and better. I don't think there is any limit as to how long they last. As time goes on, you will find that the mix ages very quickly. My bottles age the mix overnight.

Enjoy, Marco.

poochie77

Jun 21, 2005
is it best to finish the bottle or keep topping it up as you drink?
You might have a couple of drinks one week and then not have any for a week or 2?

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Fill Your Bottles First!!

Just a note of interest. Dominican Customs will not let you take an empty bottle out of the country, by empty I mean without any liquid in it. When you buy it in it's raw state, you should add your wine and rum before you go to the airport. It is considered an agricultural product in its raw state, a big no no.
You might get by at some airports, but Punta Cana is one of the worst, first thing they ask you. I remember 2 years ago in POP airport, filling bottles so we could get to our boarding area. I assume this applys to other countrys as well as the US.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Nelly said:
you can't bring the dry stuff into Canadian airports
Of coarse the vendors will tell you a different story..............
At the Customs check point at PC there was a 55 gal drum half way full. I think most everyone gets sucked in at least once LOL
Good thing the stuff comes cheap.

poochie77

Jun 21, 2005
I didn't have a problem leaving punta cana airport with an empty bottle of mamajuana. now back to my question, should I keep topping up the bottle as I drink or finish it and make a fresh batch?