Driving from Santo Domingo to Samana

davidypatri26

Jul 8, 2005
I will arrive at the airport on Sunday about 3 PM. Would like to rent a car and drive to Samana. What is the easiest and fastest way to get there?

I do speak Spanish...also can you recommend a hotel near the port?

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
davidypatri26 said:
I will arrive at the airport on Sunday about 3 PM. Would like to rent a car and drive to Samana. What is the easiest and fastest way to get there?

There is no easy way....I would start by getting a GOOD map. You could go 4east to 103north to Sabana de la Mar and catch the ferry over. Looks like the Shortest version.
I'm sure others here can give you good advice......
Good luck

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
davidypatri26 said:

the easy way but the longest way is through Autopista duarte. ;)

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Someone told me the ferry to Samana is not running anymore so you better ask before you take this route. I always take carretera Duarte. From Duarte, you can cut thru Piedra Blanca, Cotui, Pimentel. Or you can continue on carretera Duarte to San Francisco and on to Nagua, Sanchez, etc.

Juniper

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I believe

the ferry from Sabanita de Mar is in operation, but it won't help you anyway, since it is a passenger-only ferry; no cars.

Loidin

Jul 9, 2005
The best way is charter a plane (for example: Aerodomca 809.567.1984 ventas@aerodomca.com) to leave u in Samana airport (Arroyo Barril), then take a taxi to let u at any hotel even if is at Do?a Docia (at the back of the churchs) for RD$500 pesos with hot water until the morning come down...

Otherwise, drive your vehicle by Duarte Autopista til Piedra Blanca, turn right and start rolling going to Maimon, turn right to Cotui, after this, keep eyes in the big green signals that tells u where to turn. In general it's a good trip if u do it in the day it takes about 3 1/2 hours in private vehicle.

First make a plan of your trip, town by town so u dont get losed asking for long distance towns...
  • * Duarte high road, turn in Piedra Blanca to right in direction to Maimon
  • * In Maimon in the first light, turn right to Cotui, In Cotui passing the park , head to Pimentel (San Francisco de Macoris).
  • * From Pimentel cross, head right to Castillo, in El Abanico Cross, head to Nagua.
  • * Taking care with the curves in Nagua, head right directly to Samana
Just make sure to ask for direction at the gas stations or any place where u feel secure, ask for the next town, never ask for long distances places, the most experienced driver can get lost with the way we give directions.

Good luck and enjoy your trip! I do love driving in the night!!

davidypatri26

Jul 8, 2005
How about driving from La Romana to Samana?

Loidin said:
The best way is charter a plane (for example: Aerodomca 809.567.1984 ventas@aerodomca.com) to leave u in Samana airport (Arroyo Barril), then take a taxi to let u at any hotel even if is at Do?a Docia (at the back of the churchs) for RD$500 pesos with hot water until the morning come down...

Otherwise, drive your vehicle by Duarte Autopista til Piedra Blanca, turn right and start rolling going to Maimon, turn right to Cotui, after this, keep eyes in the big green signals that tells u where to turn. In general it's a good trip if u do it in the day it takes about 3 1/2 hours in private vehicle.

First make a plan of your trip, town by town so u dont get losed asking for long distance towns...
  • * Duarte high road, turn in Piedra Blanca to right in direction to Maimon
  • * In Maimon in the first light, turn right to Cotui, In Cotui passing the park , head to Pimentel (San Francisco de Macoris).
  • * From Pimentel cross, head right to Castillo, in El Abanico Cross, head to Nagua.
  • * Taking care with the curves in Nagua, head right directly to Samana
Just make sure to ask for direction at the gas stations or any place where u feel secure, ask for the next town, never ask for long distances places, the most experienced driver can get lost with the way we give directions.

Good luck and enjoy your trip! I do love driving in the night!!

Is it easier? What is the most easiest route?

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
davidypatri26 said:
Is it easier? What is the most easiest route?
Where are you going to, and from where? You have three different threads, La Romana, Santiago, and SDQ, all to Samana???????

davidypatri26

Jul 8, 2005
Change in plans

I was originally going from Santo Domingo to Samana. But the flights are too expensive and the time is not to good. So am planning on flying into LRM tomorrow and driving over to Samana.

Loidin

Jul 9, 2005
davidypatri26 said:
I was originally going from Santo Domingo to Samana. But the flights are too expensive and the time is not to good. So am planning on flying into LRM tomorrow and driving over to Samana.

Charters are easier from LRM or Punta Cana airports to El Portillo in Las Terrenas, after all, that is Samana!!

From LRM to Samana it's about 7 or 8 hours driving via SDQ, then taking the route mentioned before...

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
You are definetly better off chartering a flight from La Romana to El Portillo. It will actually be more expensive to rent the car, drive all the way to Samana (consider the gasoline expense) and then drive back to return the car. Cost of rentals in the DR are at par with cost in the US.

Yep, I would definetly fly. You can rent a car in LT and the whole trip would still be less expensive than renting the car and driving from La Romana. You would safe yourself the aggravation and you will get to spend more quality time visiting the beaches in Samana which are georgeous

Juniper

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Fly Fly Fly

davidypatri26 said:
It is only 65US from SDQ to Las Terrenas via Aero Domca, a car rental will cost you much more, and don't forget the insurance, which you want the max if you're going that far. you can also fly out of LaRomana for less. Charter flights will cost around 600US. and you have to have 5 others to go. Six passenger twin prop. Not the cheapest way, for sure.