mosquito problem

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
aside from the usual two legged pests..with all the rain..is there a mosquito problem in the dr..i just recently returned from mexico (playa del carmen) and they sure had a problem going on there..in all of my trips to that region over the years this was the first time that it has happened. in the dr ..i hear that the monti cristi area always has a mosquito problem..and that's supposed to be the dry region of the dr. ??

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'm not sure what you mean by a mosquito problem? Yes, we have mosquitos and when it is wet, we have more mosquitos than when it is dry... At least that is what it feels like. But, I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary lately.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
then that's ok chris..in mexico they were spraying with these big , noisey,smoky machines..people were still getting chewed on..so at some point the little critters must get out of hand ...but..in the dr i have never seen that. thanks

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, I've seen that when I lived in Florida. Never seen this spraying in the DR, but some of the older residents may have seen it. I'm reminded of some stories that Hillbilly tells about spraying here in the early days.

May 31, 2005
I just spray on lots of deet. And that's just me. Most people I know just go without insect repellent. They are used to it. I should be used to it since I live in Florida but I'm not. I hate mosquitoes. I use my repellent when in Florida and when in the Dominican Republic. :tired:

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Dragonfly32837 said:
I just spray on lots of deet. And that's just me. Most people I know just go without insect repellent. They are used to it. I should be used to it since I live in Florida but I'm not. I hate mosquitoes. I use my repellent when in Florida and when in the Dominican Republic. :tired:
I guess dragonflies are imune to insect repellent ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dragonflys = "Caballitos"

Dragonflys are an important biological contron of mosquitos. They feed on mosquito larvae....

In West Virginia, we called 'em "Snake Doctors" 'cause they always seemed to be around snakes...

HB :p:p:p

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I have an old man, who works in our livingarea, and I get my galleria fumigated about every 6 weeks or so.. depending on when he comes.
The man keeps track on those things himself, and the cost is about 100 pesos.
I only fumigate the galleria, and outside around the house.
Have no insects, mosquitos at all!!!

May 31, 2005
Jruane44 - I guess you are right. LOL
Hillbilly - That's interesting. I did not know that dragonflies eat mosquitoes.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ugh..on my last trip a mosquito kept me up for nights on end!! JUST when i would be drifting off...the bugger would hover near my ear.

I just learned to shut the windows...put the ac on...and spray my head with deet!.

NOt sure if a couple of skeeters rates as a "problem" tho.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
I use a natural repellant that works better than deet!!

It contains contains peppermint, lemongrass and citronella oils, vanilla and water.

Smells great and keeps the mozzies AWAY!! And I can use it on my 4 year old without worrying about her getting it in her eyes, mouth ect.

Stay well,
Amy

May 31, 2005
amy2761 said:
It contains contains peppermint, lemongrass and citronella oils, vanilla and water.

Smells great and keeps the mozzies AWAY!! And I can use it on my 4 year old without worrying about her getting it in her eyes, mouth ect.

Stay well,
Amy
Is that something that you buy already made or do you have to buy the ingredients and mix it yourself?

smoky

Jul 6, 2005
@ amy: pls send me info about your natural repellent!
and the old man who pest around for 100 RDS: on the northcoast? send me his phonenumber....

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
smoky said:
@ amy: pls send me info about your natural repellent!
and the old man who pest around for 100 RDS: on the northcoast? send me his phonenumber....

In POP... there are several old men, having divided POP in parts, where they walk around their areas.. They just come when it is time.. I have never ordered, he yells when he is here, asks if anyone needs fumigation.
Check in your area with the neigbours or so, someone will know who walks your street!