Help on residency forms

tropical

Nov 20, 2004
www.facebook.com
I am going to start the process of filing a petition for my dominican husband. Of those of you that have done the process can anyone please enlighten me. I must sent copies of marriage certificate & any prior divorces. Can they be just regular copies or do they have to be legalized. In DR they have certified & legalized. Also do I need to include on the names of my husbands children from a previous marriage even though I will not be including them in the petition.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We'll need to know where you are from.
tropical said:
I am going to start the process of filing a petition for my dominican husband. Of those of you that have done the process can anyone please enlighten me. I must sent copies of marriage certificate & any prior divorces. Can they be just regular copies or do they have to be legalized. In DR they have certified & legalized. Also do I need to include on the names of my husbands children from a previous marriage even though I will not be including them in the petition.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Loidin

Jul 9, 2005
Nelly said:

By the way, certified and legallized and anything else would be good to start... this is the country of God where everything is possible... lol

tropical

Nov 20, 2004
www.facebook.com
Nelly said:

I'm a naturalized american citizen. I sponsored the spouse of a nephew years ago. We did all of the paper work ourselves. The application says to submit those marriage & divorce copies but it doesn't say anything about legalizing them. I just want to be sure so that I don't get the application back & because of those minor issues.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Your papers should of course be already legal I think you need a legal transcript.

Nevertheless, in case you are considering a name change or applying for a visa for one of the spouses, you may consider validating the marriage certificate at your consulate in the DR. If this is your case, ask your hotel if they can help you handle this part as part of the marriage package or for an additional fee. This process needs to be carried out by the corresponding foreign-based authorities or in the DR as follows:

First you will need a legal transcript of the marriage act that is issued in Spanish. This needs to be done by an official legal translator (authorized by the Supreme Court of Justice). Then have the transcript legalized by the Attorney General Office (Procurador General de la Nacion) and by the Legal Department (Legalizaciones) of the Ministry of Foreign Relations (in Santo Domingo). Next step is to take it to the corresponding consulate where they will verify the signature of the Ministry of Foreign Relations, validating the marriage certificate in the foreign language. This procedure could take a month.

You'll find this in Legal section

Also click here for more info on spouse sponorship.

Good luck. ;)

yaidani

Feb 23, 2005
Visa Journey

I am in the process of doing the same thing myself. You will find a lot of information if you check out http://www.visajourney.com

That is a forum that is dedicated to family-based immigration.

Good luck to you.