jarabacoa directions

Brian

Jan 5, 2002
I need directions from PP airport to Jarabacoa on main highway and mountain road.Also when i get to Jarabacoa i need directions to Hotel Gran jimenoa.Thanks brian

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Brian said:
I need directions from PP airport to Jarabacoa on main highway and mountain road.Also when i get to Jarabacoa i need directions to Hotel Gran jimenoa.Thanks brian
I can't help you with the hotel directions, but it will not be hard to find, once you get to Jarabacoa, and I suspect you will see signs for it on the side of the road.
I suppose that you are refering to the Caretera Turistica Gregorio Luperon, when you mention the Mountain road, as the main highway through Puerto Plata also goes through the very same mountains, up to the same altitudes.
Anyhow, as the directions are long, and need to be precise, could you decide which road you want to take, then we'll give you the correct directions?
The Tourist road is full of potholes and has a zillion curves, but it will save you at least 30 minutes, if not more. The Duarte highway through POP is straighter and in better condition, but it has a lot more traffic, and I personally consider it to be more dangerous.
Take your pick, and we'll give you the details.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If you are departing from

PP (not Sosua), I would say drive times are about equal on the Autopista Duarte or the Carretera Touristica. I find the Duarte route much less stressful to drive than the mountain road, and IMHO, it is also easier to navigate through Santiago going that way. Whichever route you take to Santiago, you will then take the Duarte South, toward Santo Domingo. The turnoff to Jarabacoa is about 30 minutes from Santiago on the right, and it is pretty clearly marked. Then it's about a 20 minute drive on a pretty decent road to Jarabacoa. I can't help with the hotel either, but Jarabacoa is not very large. If you have trouble finding it, just ask a motoconchista to lead you there.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
sweetdbt said:
I find the Duarte route much less stressful to drive than the mountain road,
Most people would agree with you. Most people find that there are too many curves on the tourist road, as well as it is in poor condition.
The reason I prefer it, other than it saving me a half hour, is that one drives slowly through there, and if you do have an accident or incident, it is not likely to be that serious, whereas on the Duarte Highway through the mountains, you get those huge overloaded trucks climbing up the hill in 1st or second gear, and the frustrated drivers behind, will pass, even in blind corners, and a head on at that speed could be fatal.
On the other side, on the way down, these same big trucks get going so fast, with undermaintaind brakes, and they couldn't stop if they wanted to, so if you're driving through there at a slow pace, sightseeing, you're liable to have one run right over you.
Different strokes for different folks.

Brian

Jan 5, 2002
Rocky said:
Most people would agree with you. Most people find that there are too many curves on the tourist road, as well as it is in poor condition.
The reason I prefer it, other than it saving me a half hour, is that one drives slowly through there, and if you do have an accident or incident, it is not likely to be that serious, whereas on the Duarte Highway through the mountains, you get those huge overloaded trucks climbing up the hill in 1st or second gear, and the frustrated drivers behind, will pass, even in blind corners, and a head on at that speed could be fatal.
On the other side, on the way down, these same big trucks get going so fast, with undermaintaind brakes, and they couldn't stop if they wanted to, so if you're driving through there at a slow pace, sightseeing, you're liable to have one run right over you.
Different strokes for different folks.
gime me the mountain directions.please.Wjat about from cabarete side higway near jamao

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It will be much quicker from the Jamao road. Just turn at Sabaneta towards Moca. When you reach the end of the mountain road you will be at a dead end. Turn left and continue to Moca. You will make a right at the Prison to the Main part of Moca. When you reach a square with a lot of flags on it turn right. In about ten minutes you will reach the Main highway. Turn left towards S.D. When you come to the road to Jarabacoa just take it.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Brian,

After reading your OP again, I see that your departure point is the POP airport, not Puerto Plata city. The carretera tourista would be the most direct route, but the Jamao road is in much better shape, is equally scenic,and has the advantage of bypassing Santiago. I say go for it. SKY's directions sound right to me, but Rocky may want to elaborate/clarify.

From what I've been reading about the heat down there recently, heading for the mountains sounds like a good idea! I'll be arriving in Puerto Plata next Saturday, and after catching up with some friends there, I may go to Jarabacoa for a day or 2 myself.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Brian said:
Leave the airport and when you come to the main road take a right. Go past Montellano and make a left at the sign Santiago. Take that over the mountain to the second traffic light I think but you will have Hache on the right at the light. Make a left and take this to the La Vega/Jarabacoa exit. Go through La Vega and you will start climbing. Follow signs to Jarabacoa and ask for the hotel which I am not familiar with.

When you leave the airport you are just about in Sosua and NOT Puerto Plata. Going through the Navarete way is LOCO. Probably 45 minutes longer, no views and a boring road with traffic and more dopes to ruin your day.

Have a great time.

Escott

Loidin

Jul 9, 2005
Brian: After reading your OP again, I see that your departure point is the POP airport, not Puerto Plata city. The carretera tourista would be the most direct route, but the Jamao road is in much better shape, is equally scenic,and has the advantage of bypassing Santiago. I say go for it. SKY's directions sound right to me, but Rocky may want to elaborate/clarify.

I agree 100% with this direction!! Even, Jamao road has more signals... takingn this road will avoid Santiago at all, so it will be 15 minutes to get to Jarabacoa cross

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I hate to get into these pissing matches

BUT------->
Normally:

From POP airport, if you drive slowly and carefully the Carretera Tur?stica Luper?n would be the shortest and fastest way.

However, I went over that road last weekend with Snuffy and Texas Bill and friend Robert, and it was is pi$$-poor condition. As bad as I have seen in in over 20 years. No Sh!t...

SO, your best alternative would certainly be the road that goes through Jamao.

Directions:
Left out of the airport
Through Sosua and Cabarete
At first major, messy, trafficky intersection past Cabarete, go right.
Follow your nose up and over the mountains.
You come down to a "T"...TURN LEFT
Just past the Texaco station on your left you will have to Enter the Moca-Santiago roadway--"Carefully, please" watch for traffic from the right!
You go straight, actually, no turns, just head-on traffic going to Santiago.
This road goes down a little hill and comes to a stop light.
You CAN turn right at the stoplight and follow that road through the middle of Moca. It comes out by the "mercado" and the connecting road to the Autopista Duarte. (While traffic is a bit hectic, but only for about three or four block in the very center of Moca, it is pretty quick.
You turn right on the connecting road to the Autopista.

OR you go straight, back up the hill to the intersection, another "T", by the Fortaleza, and then turn right.
You will now skirt the center part of Moca and three or four stoplights later you come to a triangular intersection in the front of the local hospital (I think., thought it might be a public building, like a court, I forget). There are lights there and you turn to the right.

Which ever option you take, you will come to the Duarte Highway and make a left turn, going south east. BE REALLY CAREFUL.

?s you approach La Vega you will see the fork where you go to the right, down the incline and then right to Jarabacoa.

After you go up the mountain, past Buena Vista, Watch for sign on the left for the hotel.

Cordially, HB :D:D:D

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Excellent directions, Hillbilly, but it might be better for the OP to take option 2 through Moca, as it is a lot less confusing, and after going through Moca avoid the road South of Moca to La Vega, as it is a heck of a mess these days, almost unpassable.
At that triangular intersection you mentioned at the South end of Moca, one should turn right there at the traffic light, head out to the autopista Duarte, get east/southbound on it, (left turn), then the Jarabacoa turn off will come up in just a few minutes on the right hand side.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Aw Rocky, don't spoil the Fun!

Let him go throught the center of Moca!! It is more direct, even if he will have to experience a quick introduction to Defensive Driving 101, with motorcycles coming from all directions, but only for a few blocks...Moca ain't that big a place..:p:p:p

HB