Hilton Santo Domingo

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
Hi there! I just read an add for this hotel and was wondering where exactly on the malecon is it? It says on their website is in the malecon center on G. Washington #500. Is this right on the intersction with M. Gomez ?? Enquiring minds want to know ! Going back in Sept. and they have comparable rates to my base hotel, El Napolitano. Thanks in advance. E

May 31, 2005
It's by El Napolitano and Intercontinental. El Malecon really is not that long. Anywhere you go on El Malecon is close enough.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I wouldn't call it by El Napolitano.

It's maybe 200mts from the corner of Maximo Gomez going towards Lincoln.
I was under the impression it's not open yet.

May 31, 2005
I did not mean that it was by it. I just meant to say that El Malecon is not that long and it would still be nearby.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Dragonfly32837 said:
It's by El Napolitano and Intercontinental. El Malecon really is not that long. Anywhere you go on El Malecon is close enough.
Not close enough to walk. I'm guessing that The Hilton is about 1.5-2 miles from The Intercontinental.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Bok said:
What year?
According to their website, they are accepting reservations starting July 12, 2005. It looks like they may actually open tomorrow. We will see.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
I just returned yesterday from the D.R. There were many workers outside the Hilton Hotel, working feverishly in attempts to get the hotel ready to open by tomorrow, 7/12. Did not look as though they could do it, but my opinion was formed while riding by on G. Washington Ave.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Passed by this afternoon. Still a lot of workers, material and equipment present outside. Probably the same stuff 'KoD' saw.

But who says it has to be completely finished to open?

Better call and check before you make your reservation, gardito

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
My friend just made a reservation for July 13th. I'll post a report as to whether they actually open.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
No problem here. Going to be in-country sept. 30 thru oct. 4. Anyone around then, first round is on me. E

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Apparently yesterday's report in the DR1 travel news was a bit premature. My friend who had a reservation for today (made earlier in the week) was turned away. They said they are hoping to open on Friday.

It's incredible that a hotel chain of the Holton's stature could screw it up so badly.

Hilton opens in Santo Domingo

Hilton Santo Domingo opened to the general public today, 12 July. It is the Hilton?s 14th hotel in the Caribbean. Located on the Caribbean Sea-fronting Malecon boulevard, the hotel has 228 sea-view rooms throughout its 21 floors that make it the tallest in Santo Domingo. Hilton Santo Domingo was designed to cater to the needs of the business sector. It has a meeting room area of 17,000 square foot fully equipped with the latest technologies. General manager Charles Muller invites all to visit the newest hotel in the Dominican Republic. ?We have trusted that the growing potential of a country like the Dominican Republic to operate a property at the standard of Hilton Santo Domingo and above all we are pleased to contribute to the development of upscale tourism in the city of Santo Domingo,? he stated. ?Our staff is without doubt the best resource of Hilton Santo Domingo. Our team and I ensure truly incomparable stays for all our guests and visitors. We invite you to put our services to the test,? he said.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
We published the note in the travel news because we got a notice from the management saying they were open. The hotel doesn't have to be fully operational to open. There is what is known as "soft opening". In the Dominican press they had large color advertisements announcing their opening also. Maybe it is a way to force the contractors to finish.

Will drop by to see for ourselves and post an update.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Dolores said:
We published the note in the travel news because we got a notice from the management saying they were open. The hotel doesn't have to be fully operational to open. There is what is known as "soft opening". In the Dominican press they had large color advertisements announcing their opening also. Maybe it is a way to force the contractors to finish.

Will drop by to see for ourselves and post an update.
I'm sorry. :nervous: My intent was not to be critical of DR1. I realized that DR1 was posting a release that Hilton supplied. My criticism was of Hilton whom could not honor a reservation that was made two days prior to the intended stay.

Hilton is one of my favorite hotel chains, but it seems they can't get it right in the DR. (I've also been incredibly disappointed with the Hilton Canoa Coral).

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
It seems like they've actually opened. After turning my friend away yesterday, they've called him today, to let him know they have a room.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Update: As Dolores mentioned, The Hilton is not fully functionally. July 12th was their "soft" opening. My friend said his stay was awful. In addition to most of the amenities not being available, they were constantly testing the alarm systems. He doesn't advise anyone to stay in the hotel until they have their "hard" opening on September 8th. Hopefully by then they will get it right!

Last edited: