Blackouts and Internet

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey all. Was wondering what you do to maintain internet service with the fluctuation of the power service. Does this affect the DSL/Cable service-how reliable is the connection? Some of what I do is net based and even for a very short time cannot afford to lose a connection.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is only one way to fight this

You have to have an inverter and a few batteries.

The inverters provide a seamless switchover from local power to your battery power.

However, if business is that important, then you should also have reliable, standby power in the form a a small genset. How large or small that will be depends on your living style and house. Anything over 6 Kilos should run a medium sized house. We are talking diesel, of course. You can figure in the neighborhood of RD$100K for a good one. There are used ones that will give years of service if properly maintained.

Cordially,

HB :D:D

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hillbilly said:
You have to have an inverter and a few batteries.The inverters provide a seamless switchover from local power to your battery power.

Also, take into account that an automatic inverter, which is permanently connected to the grid, even without a blackout, represents an extra RD$ 1.000 - 3.000 added to your monthly electricity bill. Also, the battery life is determined in charging cycles. For example, for batteries with a life of 500 cycles, if you have 5 short 'apagones' during the day as routine, then your will have to replace your batteries within 100 days.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sorry Mirador,But You "Cycles" Advice Is Not Correct!

Many of us here in the DR have had our batteries for years.and thousands of "Cycles" without any problems.I suggest that you don't have an invertor with batteries,or that you better check your system if you do! CCCCCCCCCCc

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Mirador is partially right.
He is talking about the deep cycles: that's when the battery is completely empty. Something that will not happen (when used normally) in 95% of the cases.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrf said:
Hey all. Was wondering what you do to maintain internet service with the fluctuation of the power service. Does this affect the DSL/Cable service-how reliable is the connection? Some of what I do is net based and even for a very short time cannot afford to lose a connection.
From what I understand of your question, it's not the power back up at your end that you are concerned about, as much as Verizon's.
I can only tell you about the Sosua area, as it may vary in other parts of the country.
The power fluctuations and black outs do NOT interfere with the DSL, 99.9% of the time.

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
Rocky said:
From what I understand of your question, it's not the power back up at your end that you are concerned about, as much as Verizon's.
I can only tell you about the Sosua area, as it may vary in other parts of the country.
The power fluctuations and black outs do NOT interfere with the DSL, 99.9% of the time.

same in Puerto Plata... when my generator kicks in, my broadband keeps on-a-rockin'.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Mirador said:
Also, take into account that an automatic inverter, which is permanently connected to the grid, even without a blackout, represents an extra RD$ 1.000 - 3.000 added to your monthly electricity bill.
Wow, up to US100 a month just to power the back-up system.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Inverter

Thanks for the responses. Do many apartment "complexes" have a back up system for power? I will not be staying in or buying a house there-but will be looking for an apartment to rent-will I still have to buy an inverter? is that the safest? How much do they usually cost?
Thanks again.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrf said:
Thanks for the responses. Do many apartment "complexes" have a back up system for power? I will not be staying in or buying a house there-but will be looking for an apartment to rent-will I still have to buy an inverter? is that the safest? How much do they usually cost?
Thanks again.
If the apartment or house you rent uses a generator for power back up, then all you would need is a UPS, for the period of time it takes for the generator to start up.
You can get one for less than 40 bucks.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky said:
If the apartment or house you rent uses a generator for power back up, then all you would need is a UPS, for the period of time it takes for the generator to start up.
You can get one for less than 40 bucks.
I was a bit mistaken on the price.
I just phoned the computer store, here in Sosua. and the Omega 650, our favorite UPS, now sells for 1,650 pesos, which translates to approx. $57 US.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rocky said:
I was a bit mistaken on the price.
I just phoned the computer store, here in Sosua. and the Omega 650, our favorite UPS, now sells for 1,650 pesos, which translates to approx. $57 US.

I heard there's a shop in town giving away free inverters, on the condition you buy the set of eight batteries that goes with it.