Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Corrupt Law Enforcement Officials

There was a thread started in April '05 entitled, "Arrests in Sousa." This thread was closed, and I DO NOT want to dig up old dead bones, but one of the gentlemen wrongfully accused wrote at length, in a follow-up thread, the truth of the situation which exposed so much corruption in the law enforcement system. My question is: Does anyone know if this gentleman and the other gentleman (there were two men accused) and their families have finally gotten their lives back to normal? And have any of the corrupt officials been relieved of their duties?

I know this kind of corruption happens in every country at some level, but this particular story has been on my heart since April.

Yvette
    Last edited by yvette; 07-12-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dead bones

I vaguely remember the story.

How much of it was true or not I just cannot say.

It is true, however, that the Police in the Dominican Republic are corrupt as is the Army, Navy, & Air Force. They almost have to be with salaries for patrolmen in the US$150 per month level.

Of course the number of educated, well-trained policemen is almost nil, so what can we expect.??

And corruption is a way of life in most, if not all, Latin American countries. It started back in 1492 and hasn't been remedied yet, nor will it be in our lifetimes.

Yet, there are some very law abiding people, a group of law abiding businesses, and a lot of people who dream of a law abiding system in general. It just has not happened yet.

Those of us who live here adapt to the situation and avoid getting into situations that will require interacting with the Police at all costs.

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

HB,

Your answer was complete and informative about the corruption in law enforcement in the DR, I just hope those two families I referred to have their normal lives back. Again thanks.

Yvette

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you for asking.

Yes we do have our lives back.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by diego
    Yes we do have our lives back.
    diego,

I shall breathe a BIG sigh of relief! Thanks for responding, and may you and your family continue to be blessed!

Yvette