Hotel Moorea Beach

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Going to this hotel from July 18 to 21...Didn't even know it existed...found it here on DR1...

Anyone have any information? Is it a good choice?

Tony and I just want to get away from the crowds for a few days....so we thought of Saman?...

But...are there any places we could go dancing at night if we wanted to?

Hillbilly...you are the expert on DR...What do you think?

Thanks!!!

MQ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If it is the one I think it is

It is in Las Galeras, close to Eddy and Nicole's place.

It is very nice. I ate there once and the food was good.
They are friends of my son's (Julio Manuel)

It is run by a German and his Dominican wife, if memory serves.

You will be walking around the place and everything is so close, so enjoy this a lot.

HB :D:D:D

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Yes!!

I knew you would come through, HB...

Yes, it's in Las Galeras...I thought from the pics it looks really nice and relaxing, I don't mind walking around...but I really like to go dancing...

Is there anything around there? Or close by? Can we take a taxi?

Thanks again...

MQ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is an AHMSA Marina hotel there

And some other places, but Las Galeras is not a big place. I am sure you will find plenty to do...

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The hotel has new management. A young French couple -- Diane and Cyril. It's a small, personal hotel. Has the plus that you can stock up on food and prepare bare minimums in your small kitchen. Because Cyril does Internet work, he can offer his guests a good wireless connection to the Internet. Was there recently to use the connection when on work in Samana.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting!!

What happened to Gerhard and his wife? I am not even sure if that is his name.

I do remember that he and his dogs were haveing bitter disputes woth Eddy...

Thanks for the update D. Good to see the place taking ona new life.

HB :D:D

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks, Dolores and HB

DR1 is indeed a wonderful place full of information...I found out that there are 2 'Dominican discos' close by where we can dance the night away if we so choose...

Cyril answered my request for a room, only $45 per room/per night!!! Breakfast can be included for an extra $5 per person...this is awesome!!!

Can't wait to be there!!!

MQ

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
MQ, what made you choose that hotel?

Musicqueen said:
Going to this hotel from July 18 to 21...Didn't even know it existed...found it here on DR1...

Anyone have any information? Is it a good choice?

Tony and I just want to get away from the crowds for a few days....so we thought of Saman?...

But...are there any places we could go dancing at night if we wanted to?

Hillbilly...you are the expert on DR...What do you think?

Thanks!!!

MQ

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Robert...to tell you the truth...

I don't know...I was looking in the directory here on DR1 for a hotel in Samana, and after seeing the prices of the AI's, (way too much! and for the same things) I decided to check out the 'new' smaller hotels...

The pictures they have on their website of the rooms and the surroundings look beautiful, although I just realized that they don't have air conditioners in the rooms, only fans.

But for the price, $45 USD x room, x night for 2 people, plus $5 each for breakfast if wanted, I thought it was a great deal. It gives us a chance to go and 'explore' (if you can do that in Samana) the different little restaurants in town.

Why do you ask? Please, let me know if it's not a wise decision, I don't want to waste my time if it's not worth it...

MQ

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
It gives us a chance to go and 'explore' (if you can do that in Samana) the different little restaurants in town.

You will be in Las Galeras. in the Samana peninsula. The town (30km+ or -) od Santa Barbara de Samana is usually referred to as Samanea just because....

Moorea Beach used to be owned by a German fellow, Bernhardt(sp?) & his wife was Greek. They had a beautiful baby girl & 2 butt ugly dogs who chewed up Andy B's dog while I was there & Andy wasn't. Nice little hotel, with swimming pool on a quiet street in a quiet village. Don't figure on a menu then going to the store. It doesn't work that way unless things have really changed. Go to the store first & see what they have, then plan your menu. There were several decent small restaurants in 2003, probably still are. I trust you are familiar with DR discos. Las Galeras style is Basic & LOUD, but man, can those kids dance. Try to establish the price of drinks, it tends to vary by server ( or Puta).

Everything is walking distance in LG & damn near everything is negotiable. Kick back & enjoy. Wish it were I, but this year's budget is blown for Malta, to visit a couple we met in LG!!! & of course to give La Bruja her fill of historical sites. Stan. PS we lived close by for 6 weeks, then 8 weeks, never had A/C, only a fan. No problem.

Last edited: