Hurricane trivia

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
According to the Unisys hurricane web site, since 1950 there have been only three hurricanes in July: Anna (1961), Alma (1966) and Bertha (1996). None of these three are said to have reached more than category 2 strength. Note Dennis reached Category 4 strength, and Emily seems to be following in the track of Dennis although as it makes its way through the Caribbean it is yet to be seen whether it will swerve to the north through Hispaniola or stay south. Forecasters say that if it stays to the south, it will pick up strength.

Furthermore, a tropical wave south off Cape Verde is what could become Hurricane Franklin, which would make it a record for July, with six named storms this early in the season.

Hurricane season in the Caribbean and Florida is like boarding a rollercoaster and hanging tight for the ride.

Tourists will be concerned, but chances of getting caught in one still are slim. As we tell on the DR1 Hurricane Page, anyone can come to the Caribbean and enjoy beautiful sun and blue skies, but those that may experience the fury and beauty of a hurricane can consider themselves fortunate, you have witnessed one of nature?s most spectacular shows.
Now with airlines offering waivers on their flight change fees, hang tight and see if your flight will fly. See http://dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

You know, dr1 was started on the tail of a Hurricane. I almost didn?t take the flight to the world congress in Barcelona where I learned all about starting dr1 because a hurricane was headed our way. Thanks to the Internet I was able to know before the local TV and radio media let us know that it would be okay to leave. I think dr1 wouldn?t have been what it is today if I hadn?t attended that Congress, so hurricanes are very much a part of dr1.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
There has never been a hurricane related tourist injury or fatality in the DR in recorded history. Actually, I've heard stories from tourist caught in a hurricane in the DR, who wouldn't change the experience for nothing in their lives.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Dolores said:
According to the Unisys hurricane web site, since 1950 there have been only three hurricanes in July: Anna (1961), Alma (1966) and Bertha (1996). None of these three are said to have reached more than category 2 strength. Note Dennis reached Category 4 strength, and Emily seems to be following in the track of Dennis although as it makes its way through the Caribbean it is yet to be seen whether it will swerve to the north through Hispaniola or stay south. Forecasters say that if it stays to the south, it will pick up strength.

Furthermore, a tropical wave south off Cape Verde is what could become Hurricane Franklin, which would make it a record for July, with six named storms this early in the season.

Hurricane season in the Caribbean and Florida is like boarding a rollercoaster and hanging tight for the ride.

Tourists will be concerned, but chances of getting caught in one still are slim. As we tell on the DR1 Hurricane Page, anyone can come to the Caribbean and enjoy beautiful sun and blue skies, but those that may experience the fury and beauty of a hurricane can consider themselves fortunate, you have witnessed one of nature?s most spectacular shows.
Now with airlines offering waivers on their flight change fees, hang tight and see if your flight will fly. See http://dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

You know, dr1 was started on the tail of a Hurricane. I almost didn?t take the flight to the world congress in Barcelona where I learned all about starting dr1 because a hurricane was headed our way. Thanks to the Internet I was able to know before the local TV and radio media let us know that it would be okay to leave. I think dr1 wouldn?t have been what it is today if I hadn?t attended that Congress, so hurricanes are very much a part of dr1.
Going back only to 1995
2004 Alex 7-31
2003 Claudette 7-08
Danny 7-16
1997 Bill 7-11
1996 Bertha 7-05
Ceasar 7-24
1995 Barry 7-05
Erin 7-31
Archives{weather underground}

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Thanks for the correction, the Unisys source may have been just referring to hurricanes hitting a specific area. Your research would then indicate that hurricanes in July are not so rare.