Friendly, caring people

bilgeno

Jun 27, 2005
My recent experience is that not only in the view of a US foreign policy magazine the DR is a lost case, but this holds also true for human relations. Ok you will say I was in a touristic area, el Cortecito, near Punta Cana, yes. But I was already in many other touristic areas where people were friendly. Of course not everybody is unfriendly, at best they see tourists as a cash cow and after having taken just show indifference. I have shown a postcard without a stamp to a girl in an internet shop and asked where I can buy a stamp. The stupid bitch just said "photo" and that she does not understand. So either the average IQ in this village is 25 or some people are extremely unfriendly.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just maybe, you are a "LOST CASE".
Instead of using sign language, perhaps invest in a Berlitz book prior to your next trip. Learn basic Spanish and enhance your own "IQ".

A guide to Basic Sentence Structure for 9th grader's may help your English as well.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
"The stupid bitch just said "photo" and that she does not understand. So either the average IQ in this village is 25"

You make up your opinion based of one "stamp" person in one village, wow you must be very smart yourself! :tired:

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
bilgeno said:
The stupid bitch

why use derogatory phrases like that(esp. of a woman)?
maybe she does not know english, or did you talk to her in spanish?
someone can be ignorant and being ignorant is not something bad.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Pretty pathetic :tired:
Your in a Spanish speaking country remember, they weren't going to change the language just because you were visiting, pathetic.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
In case!!

bilgeno said:
The stupid bitch just said "photo"
I hope that you remember that your mom, sister(s), daughter(s) and wife(if any) are females.

I wonder what you would do if some STUPID JERK calls them stupid?.

Ps: and about the DR being a lost case, do all of us a favor and never visit again. Why return to a lose case country?. Go to the Moon next time!.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Music said:
Pretty pathetic :tired:
Your in a Spanish speaking country remember, they weren't going to change the language just because you were visiting, pathetic.
He has a point, although he expressed it in a nasty way. To be successful in the tourist industry, hotel staff should have a rudimentary understanding of the language of their clientele.

However, I'm not sure why the OP mistook the clerks lack of English as being unfriendly, which we all know is the antithesis of being a Dominican.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
then there's the case from the previous government administration, where one of the former President's croonies had a concession to sell official (inposdom) postcards to all the gift shops, but with fake express mail stamps on them! so that they never arrived at their destinations! Don't take my word for it, read all about, fresh (actually not so fresh) from the press: Listin

I also have to agree with Bilgeno, the DR is a lost case!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
bilgeno said:
My recent experience is that not only in the view of a US foreign policy magazine the DR is a lost case, but this holds also true for human relations. Ok you will say I was in a touristic area, el Cortecito, near Punta Cana, yes. But I was already in many other touristic areas where people were friendly. Of course not everybody is unfriendly, at best they see tourists as a cash cow and after having taken just show indifference. I have shown a postcard without a stamp to a girl in an internet shop and asked where I can buy a stamp. The stupid bitch just said "photo" and that she does not understand. So either the average IQ in this village is 25 or some people are extremely unfriendly.

Do you ask the "stupid bitch" in spanish?

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
bilgeno said:

bilgeno,

Remember, when you are in a country that is not the place of your birth, YOU are the foreigner and it's natural for you not to be understood. There are ways to communicate your needs, you just have to try different ways. But a UGLY, NASTY, and IMPATIENT attitude; that is a lanquage which is UNIVERSAL and you won't get much help that way!

Yvette

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Tamborista said:
Just maybe, you are a "LOST CASE".
Instead of using sign language, perhaps invest in a Berlitz book prior to your next trip. Learn basic Spanish and enhance your own "IQ".

A guide to Basic Sentence Structure for 9th grader's may help your English as well.

I don't think that english is this person first language.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
You have to remember, in this country many people don't know what a postage stamp is. Unless you live in a major city, may may never see a post office. Even in the major cities the postal system is not functioning. I am sure the girl had no idea that a post card is meant to be sent through the mail.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Why is the DR a lost case?

I have had my run-ins with nasty people on this island, especially in the tourist areas, only to be greeted by others who were incredibly genuine and kind. This is why you need to be a little bit more open-minded.
I live in NYC, so my tolerance is pretty high, but I can understand how that incident would get on your nerves-just don't paint a whole country bad because of one person.

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
Berzin said:
I have had my run-ins with nasty people on this island, especially in the tourist areas, only to be greeted by others who were incredibly genuine and kind. This is why you need to be a little bit more open-minded.
I live in NYC, so my tolerance is pretty high, but I can understand how that incident would get on your nerves-just don't paint a whole country bad because of one person.

it can get on your nerves but come on one cannot be so
close-minded and not realize that you're not in the US where most people speak english and know what a stamp is.

bilgeno

Jun 27, 2005
Thanks for all your helpful comments.

I really could not imagine that somebody does not know what a postcard and a stamp are there for.