SunCamp - Appartments near Puerto plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Damiaan de Vrie said:
The view and position of the camp is so beautifull and the canadian people who work there as well as the nearby village people are so kind and friendly.
I always wondered what became of the village people...

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Tropical House = Suncamp = Sunset Dream = Dianne Pellerin...

and perhaps more names; who knows?

Read Rocky's links and do your own search but be vewy, vewy careful.

Gregg

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Yikes!

Thanks for that eye opener, Rocky. You and Ken, I think, are the best sources for practical information and history on the North Coast.

sarner

Jul 15, 2005
Suncamp and Diann Pellerin

My boyfriend and I just returned from a trip to the Dominican Republic in which we stayed at Suncamp Apartments for a week. We spent our week riding horses and sight seeing and relaxing. We booked our trip through Hidden Trails and did not know the name of where we would stay until after we had paid fully and the trip was non-refundable. When we learned the name of where we would stay, I naturally looked it up on-line, curious about where we would be staying. The only reference I could find initially was on this website, and everything I read was just awful. I became really nervous before we arrived, and was completely prepared to hate the place and to encounter all kinds of trouble and problems with Diann.

Instead, she was incredibly friendly and helpful. We flew into Santiago in the middle of the night and were unsure of how we would get to her apartments. She arranged for a Munoz cab driver to pick us up at the airport--and he even waited an extra hour and a half because our plane was delayed and some of our luggage was lost so we had to put in a claim. Juan, the cab driver, had the key to our apartment and helped us in. In the morning, we met Diann for the first time. She called Santiago Airport for me so I could make arrangements for our luggage to be delivered. She had a huge jug of potable water delivered to our room. She ordered an english speaking cab driver to take us into Puerto Plata to exchange money, pick up groceries, and just sight see. Everyday after riding horses, we would go and talk to her and tell her about what we had done and where we had gone--and she was genuinely interested. She also arranged for one of her other tenants to take us into Puerto Plata. I wanted to ride the cable car and go to the Amber Museum, and check out Playa Dorada. The guide was a great idea as he was able to keep our costs to a minimum (cab drivers will over charge tourists by massive amounts!). She never asked for additional money for any kind thing she did for us (the water did cost a pittance--but it more than lasted us the week! And she sold us an international phone card that was only 100 pesos--about 4 American Dollars).

The apartments themselves were simple and nothing fancy, but functional and pleasant--and I can only suggest that if, for 250 American Dollars a WEEK, you are expecting the Hyatt Regency, you shouldn't be allowed to travel alone anyway. One comment on a previous string states that the apartments are not fit for American and European people, and yet I (as a spoiled American) would argue that they are better than what more than half the world's residents live in every day of the year. I was at first a little put off and unsure about not having windows, but rather screened iron bars. However, it came to make sense to me as Air Conditioning is impractical in the Dominican Republic (outside of resorts) due to the frequent power outages, thus, windowless homes get a breeze and thereby remain reasonably cool in a very hot climate. I also noticed as we rode throughout the country side, that the vast majority of Dominican Homes were built the same way. Many of the iron bars employed in many homes were extremely attractive and decorative and I came to look forward to "Dream House Hunting" based on the design of the iron bars!

Much fuss has also occurred over the location with several people complaining about it's distance from town and having to go through the Bateay (unsure of spelling). By car, it was only 2 minutes to the Playa Dorada Resort Complex, and about 5 minutes into Downtown Puerto Plata. I enjoyed the location as I found the air more breathable at Suncamp and in Munoz than I did in Puerto Plata. We were also able to relax with quiet if we chose, but also to go and avail ourselves of crowds when desired. As for the "dangerous bateay", I have no idea what all the hoopla is about. My boyfriend and I caught the wrong cab one day and ended up having to walk from the main highway the 2 kilometers to Suncamp (about a 20 minute walk), hiking right through the Bateay, as well as the village of Munoz. The only thing that happened was that a couple of small Haitian children tagged along with us, thrilled to practice their english on us, and asking us occasionally if we could spare a Peso. Some Haitian adults chased the kids off and apologized to us, and some others waved at us. We actually hung out one evening in the Bateay--a colmida owner made us dinner at her house, and then we all hung out outside listening to music and chatting. The children had a great time practicing English on us and were charmingly silly--as most children are. The adults were cordial and curious.

In regards to the other tenants at Suncamp--there was a Canadian Physical Therapist who was lovely, a missionary lady I never met but saw come and go, a Dominican man who lived in New York City but is now living there and he was a riot and loves pool, a Scottish traveler who had spent a few weeks wandering around the Dominican Republic and spent the last at Suncamp resting and preparing to go home, a couple who were magicians living in Paris, France and who were travelling with their 2 small children. I know I am missing a few people, but my point is that they were all wonderful and warm, helpful when needed, and pleasant.

I would strongly recommend staying at Suncamp Apartments to anyone who is not expecting something flashy with a lot of room service. If your idea of a vacation is lying on a beach having drinks delivered to you, Suncamp isn't the place for you. If you are outgoing and want a genuine taste of Dominican Culture and "Real Life", Suncamp is fabulous. My only advice would be to load up on Mosquito Spray because they do come out around 5 in the afternoon and they are hungry little fellows!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sock Puppets?

I find it curious that both Damiaan de Vrie & sarner have only one post apiece.
As for the price of 250 bucks per week, well, you can get a luxury condo in Sosua for $200, so I don't see how anybody could consider this being a good deal, when you are miles down a dirt road,in, from what I understand, undermaintained apartments.
I smell sock puppets.

sarner

Jul 15, 2005
I smell a muckraker

Rocky,

1. I only have one post because this was my first trip to the Dominican Republic--I do not have the vast knowledge of the country that so many of you do. My point in posting was that, before I went to the Dominican Republic, and wanted information, I relied heavily on this site as it is a good one for up-to-date information. Because my trip was already paid and non-refundable, I decided to "Brave It" after reading so many negative things about Suncump (tropical house, etc.). My post was simply to state that I did not find it to be awful, and actually found it to be a pleasant and enjoyable experience.

2. The price of 250 American Dollars a week includes not just the apartment, but also 5 days of horseback riding with a guide, including 1 overnight trip in which we were guests in the home of a Dominican Family (who are paid for the space, as well as for the meals they prepare us out of that $250--it cost us no extra). I believe the rates were cheaper for just renting the space.

3. $200 for a luxury condo in Sosua is, I'm sure, a good deal, if what one is looking for is a luxury beachy no real contact with culture kind of vacation. I prefer a less sanitized view of the countries I visit. I did make clear in my post that Suncamp would not be for everyone--ie. people seeking sanitized vacations. If that was what I was seeking, I most assuredly would have stayed in one of the many resorts that are so plentiful in the Dominican Republic.

4. Obviously your math skills are a little short as you believe that Suncamp is "miles down a dirt road". It is actually 2 kilometers from the main highway--that is only 1 1/4 miles.

5. Of course, you would know that, as well as the state of the apartments, if you had ever been there, which your second to last comment makes abundantly clear that you have not been. This leads me to wonder why you should consider yourself such an expert on the place. It also leads me to wonder why you seem to have such loathing for a place you've never even been. I smell a muckraker.

Rocky said:
As for the price of 250 bucks per week, well, you can get a luxury condo in Sosua for $200, so I don't see how anybody could consider this being a good deal, when you are miles down a dirt road,in, from what I understand, undermaintained apartments.
I smell sock puppets.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't know what a muckraker is, so maybe I am one.
I appreciate your explanations and adding in that there were additional services that helped justify the price.
As for the condo for 200, it's no special deal.
I was refering to my own condo that I rent, and it's fairly priced, no more, no less.
If you have read the posts that I pasted in, you will find that others who had been there, amongst their other complaints, mentioned that the apartments were in poor condition.
Being 2 kilometers, or 3, or 4 down a dirt road, just doesn't make much difference.
One way or another, you're isolated and not likely to want to walk that distance in the midday hot sun, nor late at night in the dark.
I have nothing to do with Dianne Pellerin's bad reputatation.
She did that, all by herself.
I have never met her, but I have met people who were victimized by her.
We gave her many opportunities to respond to the accusations that were being made against her, and she choose to nerver respond.
If what you say is true about you & your vacation, I'm glad you had a good time.
I'm sure you understand the skepticism, when 2 unknown posters appear on this board with rave reviews about a place that normally gets complaints of the worst kind.

Nov 5, 2004
Rocky said:
I smell sock puppets.

Funny...that was the first thing I thought when I read it also.... :tired:

You know what the say great minds think alike :D:D

Usually first time posters don't even know what sock puppet means...

thematrixq

Jul 8, 2005
Satisfied Repeat Customer of Suncamp

I am a satisfied customer of Suncamp. I have stayed there on two occasions ...earlier this year for a month and for three months in 2003.

Diane has always made me feel welcome and has been the most gracious hostess to me. I enjoy the quiet and peaceful natural setting of Suncamp and I enjoy being a neighbor the people of Munoz instead of a turista. There is internet and recreation on the site. When I'm there I like to go to the disco and eat the best fried chicken in the DR at Miriam's Restaurante across from the disco.

It takes about 10 minutes to get to town where I food shop and sitesee. I take a weekly day trip to Sosua and Carberete to have lunch on the beach.

I highly recommend Suncamp and I will be happy to provide any additional information to those interested. I also have many pictures from my two visits that I'm willing to share....Please contact me for further information

I will be returning in December to see my friends and to enjoy the weather and rest and relaxation.

Shelton thematrixq@yahoo.com

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yuck! Dirty Socks...

I've never been to this place... But I've been on this board for a while... We never get a trip report from anyone that has stayed there. Just every few months, we get someone who sings the praises of this place, in marketing style language, in the living forum or somewhere else..... Then soon after, another one pops out of the woodwork, confirming what the first one said... Each time, the postcount of the poster is 1 or 2... Each time, the establishment has a new name. Sure makes me wonder and wrinkle my nose :ermm:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This has come about because they wanted to pay for advertising on DR1.
We told them we are not interested and that they needed some good reviews from real people before we would consider them.

They are just making matters worse by posting this one-off stuff.
I guess they still don't get it. Oh well, I guess they are going to continue to learn the hard way.

ace

Apr 11, 2004
Rocky said:
I smell sock puppets.
Rocky, I will be on the northcoast from Sept.1 to 15 I am not interested in staying at a AI anymore. I allready purchased my plane ticket. I am looking for a place to stay in Cabarete or Sasua, I like to find one of those luxury condos for around that price. If you can point me in the right direction it would be helpfull. I have sent numerous e-mails to place online with no response.Sorry to go off topic .
Thanks for any help.

thematrixq

Jul 8, 2005
Robert said:
This has come about because they wanted to pay for advertising on DR1.
We told them we are not interested and that they needed some good reviews from real people before we would consider them.

I have used this site for years but have never posted. I have stayed at Suncamp and had a positive experience. Do you have problem with a person that is trying to build thier business? You state that you have asked or real people before you consider them....I'm real!!!

Please answer why all of the negativety?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ace said:
Rocky, I will be on the northcoast from Sept.1 to 15 I am not interested in staying at a AI anymore. I allready purchased my plane ticket. I am looking for a place to stay in Cabarete or Sasua, I like to find one of those luxury condos for around that price. If you can point me in the right direction it would be helpfull. I have sent numerous e-mails to place online with no response.Sorry to go off topic .
Thanks for any help.
Sent you an e-mail.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
thematrixq said:
I have used this site for years but have never posted. I have stayed at Suncamp and had a positive experience. Do you have problem with a person that is trying to build thier business? You state that you have asked or real people before you consider them....I'm real!!!

Please answer why all of the negativety?

It might have to do with people's experiences?

I'm all for people building their businesses.

What I'm against is people changing their business name three times to shake the bad rap and a bunch of newbies posting reports all of a sudden.

When the boot fits...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
On two occassions I have visited this place. I would not recommend this to anyone, ever. I was inside two of the units. I would not stay there therefor I would not suggest others stay there.

I spoke with 2 separate groups on my first visit and each person said they were shocked at the location, the facilities and the lack of cleanliness. They felt mislead.

Inside I found the units to be poorly furnished, dirty and not overly secure!

The location is stunning. Being right on a river it is truly beautiful and has potential. But, I would not stay there.

sarner

Jul 15, 2005
Responding to several messages

Rocky--Thank you for responding--the second one came across a lot nicer (no offense). I just wanted to let you know that I had read those posts you pasted in--before responding, but also before I even went to the DR. Also read other posts that weren't complimentary. The thing that stands out about them to me after going was that not one of them is from a person who stayed there, but from people who knew someone who stayed there. And not to discredit them personally, it's just that we all know how a story gets embellished the more it gets repeated. I would put a lot more stock in them if they were coming from people who had actually stayed there. Now, having stayed there, I just can't say I found it or her to be as awful as those posts imply. While so many of the regulars of this site have complained about a few of us newbies posting positive things, I am just amazed not to see anyone who has actually stayed there say anything negative. You also mentioned that the distance is a long way to walk--I already said it wasn't far to walk, but anyway, there are cabs that take you to the city center of Puerto Plata for 10 pesos each way. This is not an undue expense, and it is only a few minutes by car.

PeachezNCream 84--You mentioned that first time posters don't usually know what a sock puppet is. For the record, I'm a first time POSTER, not a first time VISITOR. I did a great deal of reading about the DR on this site before going there. But anyway, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand it's meaning.

Chris--You object to the new posts because you say you never get a trip report from someone who has stayed there. That's funny. I believe there were 3 of us trying to say that we had stayed there, and all that's been done is a fun game of BASH THE NEWBIE. I HAVE STAYED THERE--and I HAD A GREAT TIME. And I'm not a marketer nor is my language marketer style--I've simply relayed a few of my trip experiences. For the record, I am a bartender in upstate New York.

Robert--I'm a bit disappointed in you as a site "arbitrator" if you will. Your own message states that you told Diann Pellerin that she needed positive comments in order to advertise on your site. But when positive comments are posted, you reject them saying she is just making things worse. I'm not sure how she is making things worse just because I had a great vacation in her apartments. So much for impartiality. I'm also surprised that in past strings you have allowed so many personal attacks to occur. I can only surmise that those were made by friends.

I will, however, concede the point that there is a huge difference between vacationing somewhere, and living somewhere. On the other hand, could I live at Suncamp while securing a job and finding a house to live in? Absolutely! What I do know is that for me, staying in Puerto Plata would have been nerve-wracking. It reeked of sulfur and vehicle emissions and was loud. I am a country girl. But then, that is why I went to the Dominican Republican on a horse-back riding trip. We were in the mountains most of the time, enjoying pleasant scenery, and pleasant people "off the beaten (tourist) track".

Status
Not open for further replies.