Movie Theater at Playadorada in Puerto Plata

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what time the movies start at the
theater at Playadorada in Puerto Plata?

Does anyone know what spanish movies are currently playing?

Thanks.

Nov 5, 2004
It changes fairly often....

Althought they are usually quite a bit behind North America in what are new movies....

However it is wayyyy less then it even costs you to rent a movie in NA...

LOL..other then that I don't know what is playing..and would like to know as well...but don't expect it to be up to what we are playing in NA

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
2 cines in POP

Puerto Plata have 2 cinemas, Cinemar in Playa Dorada and Cine Roma in Puerto Plata ( calle Beller ).

Usually there are no Spanish movies, or Dominican.
Mainly the usual movies, with Spanish dubbing or subtitles.
They change on Thurdays, don?t know what is on now.
Last week was Assault on Precinct 13, The interpreter and something else.
Movies in Cinemar are usually a few weeks ahead.

Tickets are 70-100 pesos depending on hour, and if in the city or in Playa Dorada.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
TimInDR said:
i'll be in playa dorada tomorrow.... will try to get all of the pertinent info.

on a related question: has anyone been to this theater? is it nice inside?

Its a good movie theatre.
They also have ads outside supermercado Tropical in the city, informing what is showing..I just forgot to look..

Nov 5, 2004
TimInDR said:
i'll be in playa dorada tomorrow.... will try to get all of the pertinent info.

on a related question: has anyone been to this theater? is it nice inside?

It is like our 5-7 year old "dollar theaters" in Canada...half the seats have springs sticking out and it is in need of repair. But nevertheless I would rather pay that then $15 a movie here!!!!!!!! (Plus $5 for a bag of popcorn and $4 for a pop!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: I'd rather see them a bit old in POP for 1/4 of the price...or less....

ALSO...IT'S FREE AIRCONDITIONING!!!!!!!!!! :D

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
PeachezNcream84 said:
It is like our 5-7 year old "dollar theaters" in Canada...half the seats have springs sticking out and it is in need of repair. But nevertheless I would rather pay that then $15 a movie here!!!!!!!! (Plus $5 for a bag of popcorn and $4 for a pop!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: I'd rather see them a bit old in POP for 1/4 of the price...or less....

ALSO...IT'S FREE AIRCONDITIONING!!!!!!!!!! :D

That would be Cine Roma in POP... but they have a/c.
The theatre in Playa Dorada is far better than you describe.

Nov 5, 2004
carina said:
That would be Cine Roma in POP... but they have a/c.
The theatre in Playa Dorada is far better than you describe.

No..I didn't know there was a "Cine Roma" in POP you will have to tell me where...

Either that or you have to go to a regular Noth American movie thearter..LOL :) when was the last time you went??

The theaters in Playa Dorada remind me of the "dollar theaters" I went to when I was 10 yrs old....lol...

All I know is it's REALLY cheap for a movie (compaired to Canada) it has cheap snacks...and you can buy BEER for a MOVIE..now I tell you...if you can sell a can of pop for $4 in Canada..you can sell beer in movies for like $7 -10...but nooo...it's Canada!!!! :p

Anyways...movies are in English...with Spanish subtitles...if the Dominicans watching don't know english they will laugh at a different time then you in the movie...if you understand both it is even funnier.

Only thing I have wanted to see but haven't is thoes new Dominican moveis that were out last year...like something "Los Locos"..de something something something...

Has anyone seen the new Dominican movies and how are they?

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
A ticket is 100 pesos.

Cine Roma prices below, Cinemar in Playa Dorada is a little more expensive though.
Popcorn 20-25-30 pesos.
Water 15 pesos.
Sodas 25 pesos.
No beers for sale at the cinemas.

Nov 5, 2004
carina said:
A ticket is 100 pesos.

Cine Roma prices below, Cinemar in Playa Dorada is a little more expensive though.
Popcorn 20-25-30 pesos.
Water 15 pesos.
Sodas 25 pesos.
No beers for sale at the cinemas.

I thought it was cheaper then that...but Carlos paid so I wasn't sure.

When did they stop selling beer?

They had Presidentes in the fridge thing along with all the pop and water...after you pay for your ticket and on the way into the theater.

I will be very dissapointed if they stoped selling beer for the movies :(

I love popcorn and beer in a nice airconditioned theater. LOL..who cares about the movie? ;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The theater in Playa Dorada is actually fairly comfortable. I was there a week ago! It is 100 pesos a ticket. The movies change weekly it seems but every once in a while one movie will stay for more then a week but it is never the one I want to see.

No more beer at the theatre! But the popcorn is not bad! And the Air Conditioner is pretty good, in fact, sometimes too good and I take a sweater with me.

Make sure to pick your seats carefully, some of them are a little wobbly. AND don't sit in front of me please, it blocks my view....LOL

After we will wander down to Hemingways to have a cold one!!!! Not a bad night in paradise....

YOu can call the theatre to find out what is playing! GOOD LUCK trying to understand what the heck the guy is saying. He does repeat everything in english and spanish but I can't understand either! Sounds like a frustrated MC in front of a crowd of 1,000's of people.....

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Movie

The theatre at Playa Dorado is fine although the popcorn sucks. A safe place for the kids to go as a group and not be harassed. Last time I went there were several groups of teen and preteen girls enjoying themselves.
Activites for that group are hard to come by in the area unless it's church oriented. Prices are affordable and movies are fairly current.
The downtown POP flick is a different story, well worn and little maintainence.
When you walk between seats you stick to the floor, (gum? soda? or?) a little TLC would go a long way.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Jerry K said:
The theatre at Playa Dorado is fine although the popcorn sucks. A safe place for the kids to go as a group and not be harassed. Last time I went there were several groups of teen and preteen girls enjoying themselves.
Activites for that group are hard to come by in the area unless it's church oriented. Prices are affordable and movies are fairly current.
The downtown POP flick is a different story, well worn and little maintainence.
When you walk between seats you stick to the floor, (gum? soda? or?) a little TLC would go a long way.

Popcorn is only a dollar and when you have been away for three weeks, its not so bad.

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
i stopped by the theater yesterday. they are showing:

"the pacifier" with vin diesel

some movie i've never heard of called "melinda and melinda" or something similar.

and XXX part 2 with ice cube

times during the week were 7:15, 7:30, and 7:45 respectively and during the weekend all of the movies started at 9 something. sorry if that's a little vague, but didn't have a pen with me.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I saw Melinda,Melinda yesterday. It is a romantic comedy directed by Woody Allen. Very funny, most poeple (all 10) were laughing. Worth the 100 pesos.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
HOWMAR said:
I saw Melinda,Melinda yesterday. It is a romantic comedy directed by Woody Allen. Very funny, most poeple (all 10) were laughing. Worth the 100 pesos.

That?s actually so true.. I have been only 1 (one ) time at a movie here when it was actually over half the cinema full.
That was to see a movie produced here on the island.
Otherwise so exactly as you say... It?s about 10 or less...
What a business to own a movietheatre here!!! :tired: