Punta Cana News?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
On a radio show this morning (91.3 MHz) I heard about disturbances in Punta Cana involving transport companies and even affecting the airport there.
Anyone who can elaborate?

m'frog

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Taxistas

Yes, there is a disturbance. One of the two taxi companies in the zone has blocked off the road between Veron and Bavaro, a major inconvenience. The road is part of the route from Bavaro to Punta Cana airport.

It is unconfirmed by PJT at this time, but the action appears to be related to the company wanting a taxi monopoly of this tourist zone.

This action should be short lived, the government will not put up with this senseless behavior.

Regards,
PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT observed this afternoon groups abandoned taxis at the roadside at the Cabeza de Toro crossroad and on the Veron to Bavaro road. National Police and Amet were at the Veron - Bavaro road loading the taxis on to the Amet flatbed tow truck.

The impound area at the National Police station and nearby empty lot at the Veron crossroads were filled with more than fifty Sitratural taxis.

Talk with the locals is that the demonstration to block traffic was an act by the taxistas who want a service monopoly on the area.

Regards,
PJT

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
According to what my husband told me, the hotel owners and local authorities got together a brought over a tractor and pretty much cleared the road with it. I have a feeling the taxi drivers won't be in much of a good humour after getting a couple of units mushed up pretty bad... :S When I went through last night, the road was completely cleared and the empty lot on the corner looked like a car dealership with all the taxi units parked there.

jfunk1

Jul 16, 2005
Taxi update?

Any update on taxi situation? We were on bus to airport yesterday during event. Delayed 2 hours and plane also delayed waiting on passangers. We heard that there was a taxi or two on fire and that all drivers were arrested, then military showed up with bulldozers etc. to move all then abandoned taxis. It was a bit of mass confusion when we were finally allowed through and all we saw were various military running up and down road, many different police, and a lot of taxis that had appeard to have been just pushed off of the road (at that time). We had a great time in Punta Cana, just a very interesting (and long) ending. Especially when you have two children along. :glasses: