A weekend in Jarabacoa

maharashii

Jul 1, 2005
I only have a few more weeks here before I transfer go back to the states (and then Africa!) so I'm trying to make the most of my weekends. Last weekend I decided to go to Jarabacoa with some coworkers to see some mountains.

We caught a guagua to Santo Domingo (only 85 pesos - cheap and painless). From there we took a taxi to the Caribe Tours bus station to get tickets to Jarabacoa (150 pesos). The woman at the boleteria was very concerned that we didn't have reservations, but eventually sold us tickets. Lucky for us it appears that we bought the last seats.

About 2 and a half hours later we arrived at the Caribe office in Jarabacoa. We were immediately beset with adventure tour operators. Bad sign, though they were all friendly enough.

We arranged for a taxi at the nearby taxi window to take us to our hotel, el Gran Jimenoa. He wanted 120 pesos. It may seem silly but we wouldn't give him more than 100, which still seemed high. We later asked at the front-desk and they told us that we really shouldn't have to pay more than 80 for a ride into town.

The hotel was in a great location a few kilometers from town. It was right on a fast flowing river with lots of trees, a nice restaurant, and fairly decent rooms (hot water, mostly clean, semi-working a/c). When we called a few days earlier, were quoted 1125 pesos a night for a room with two beds, breakfast included. More on this later.

We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant, where the food was very excellent, though a bit pricey. Dinner and a drink will probably run about 500 pesos per person. At least they make strong cuba libres.

Saturday morning we got up and planned to go hiking. Based on the info in our Rough Guide, we decided to go up El Mogote, which was described as "the best dayhike in Jarabacoa" taking around three hours round-trip. We hopped in a taxi and asked him to take us to la entrada del Mogote. This one cost us 160 pesos (80 into town, 80 to el Mogote). He dropped us off right at the side road heading up to the mountain, and asked me if I knew where I was going. I told him I didn't really know, and he pointed to a pretty distant looking peak, and said "all the way" in broken English.

Undiscouraged, we set off up the road. About 10 minutes later we came upon a monastery and the trailhead. The first hour and a half on the trail wasn't too difficult, but it wasn't too scenic either. We eventually came to a flat spot with a nice view of the surrounding hills. We passed some folks coming down who said it would be another hour and a half to the saddle peak, and that it would be much steeper.

They weren't kidding - the next hour and a half was really steep. No mountaineering or anything, but it was a good hike. I'm not in great shape these days (5 years behind a computer desk and about 50lbs overweight) and I really struggled. My friends did much better, but it was still pretty strenous. Note - two bottles of water is NOT enough. I'd try to bring at least 1.5-2 liters if I were to do this again.

I stopped at the saddle peak, just beyond the cow gate, where I took this shot:
DSCN1356-Una_Vaca_El_Mogote%20-%20600x800-1.jpg
. The mist was rolling in from the mountains, and the views were fantastic. All in all it took us almost four hours to get here. A fit hiker could do it faster for sure, but there is no way to make it in three hours round-trip. My friends continued up another 20 minutes to the main peak where the watch tower is located.

The first part of the walk back down on the steep trail was brutal. Make sure you have good shoes and socks for this.

When we reached the bottom it was starting to get dark. We couldn't find any taxis or motoconchos on the road back to town. We stopped and talked to some locals and got the phone number of a taxi service and directions to a pay phone. When we found the phone, of course, it wasn't working. A family next to the pay phone decided to lend us a hand and drove us into town in their camioncita. I gave the guy 45 pesos for gas, though he didn't ask for any money. That night we ate pizza at the pizzeria personal (not sure if that is the name, but they that's what the sign said on the delivery moped). The food was pretty decent there.

After dinner they called a taxi for us, and we paid 80 pesos to get back to the hotel for a much needed rest. It was an early night.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
maharashii said:
I only have a few more weeks here before I transfer go back to the states (and then Africa!) so I'm trying to make the most of my weekends. Last weekend I decided to go to Jarabacoa with some coworkers to see some mountains.

We caught a guagua to Santo Domingo (only 85 pesos - cheap and painless). From there we took a taxi to the Caribe Tours bus station to get tickets to Jarabacoa (150 pesos). The woman at the boleteria was very concerned that we didn't have reservations, but eventually sold us tickets. Lucky for us it appears that we bought the last seats.

About 2 and a half hours later we arrived at the Caribe office in Jarabacoa. We were immediately beset with adventure tour operators. Bad sign, though they were all friendly enough.

We arranged for a taxi at the nearby taxi window to take us to our hotel, el Gran Jimenoa. He wanted 120 pesos. It may seem silly but we wouldn't give him more than 100, which still seemed high. We later asked at the front-desk and they told us that we really shouldn't have to pay more than 80 for a ride into town.

The hotel was in a great location a few kilometers from town. It was right on a fast flowing river with lots of trees, a nice restaurant, and fairly decent rooms (hot water, mostly clean, semi-working a/c). When we called a few days earlier, were quoted 1125 pesos a night for a room with two beds, breakfast included. More on this later.

We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant, where the food was very excellent, though a bit pricey. Dinner and a drink will probably run about 500 pesos per person. At least they make strong cuba libres.

Saturday morning we got up and planned to go hiking. Based on the info in our Rough Guide, we decided to go up El Mogote, which was described as "the best dayhike in Jarabacoa" taking around three hours round-trip. We hopped in a taxi and asked him to take us to la entrada del Mogote. This one cost us 160 pesos (80 into town, 80 to el Mogote). He dropped us off right at the side road heading up to the mountain, and asked me if I knew where I was going. I told him I didn't really know, and he pointed to a pretty distant looking peak, and said "all the way" in broken English.

Undiscouraged, we set off up the road. About 10 minutes later we came upon a monastery and the trailhead. The first hour and a half on the trail wasn't too difficult, but it wasn't too scenic either. We eventually came to a flat spot with a nice view of the surrounding hills. We passed some folks coming down who said it would be another hour and a half to the saddle peak, and that it would be much steeper.

They weren't kidding - the next hour and a half was really steep. No mountaineering or anything, but it was a good hike. I'm not in great shape these days (5 years behind a computer desk and about 50lbs overweight) and I really struggled. My friends did much better, but it was still pretty strenous. Note - two bottles of water is NOT enough. I'd try to bring at least 1.5-2 liters if I were to do this again.

I stopped at the saddle peak, just beyond the cow gate, where I took this shot:
DSCN1356-Una_Vaca_El_Mogote%20-%20600x800-1.jpg
. The mist was rolling in from the mountains, and the views were fantastic. All in all it took us almost four hours to get here. A fit hiker could do it faster for sure, but there is no way to make it in three hours round-trip. My friends continued up another 20 minutes to the main peak where the watch tower is located.

The first part of the walk back down on the steep trail was brutal. Make sure you have good shoes and socks for this.

When we reached the bottom it was starting to get dark. We couldn't find any taxis or motoconchos on the road back to town. We stopped and talked to some locals and got the phone number of a taxi service and directions to a pay phone. When we found the phone, of course, it wasn't working. A family next to the pay phone decided to lend us a hand and drove us into town in their camioncita. I gave the guy 45 pesos for gas, though he didn't ask for any money. That night we ate pizza at the pizzeria personal (not sure if that is the name, but they that's what the sign said on the delivery moped). The food was pretty decent there.

After dinner they called a taxi for us, and we paid 80 pesos to get back to the hotel for a much needed rest. It was an early night.
Sounds like a great trip, minus the typical taxi rip-off(which seems to be everywhere you go) That's the way to see the REAL dominican. Great picture too, a good post for Lonely Planet "On the Road"

clara

Jan 6, 2005

What happened at the hotel? You left us hanging!

maharashii

Jul 1, 2005
Hey, I can't spend all day posting on the 'net ya know ;)

So Sunday morning we get up and check out of the hotel. To our shock, the bill came up to 8500 pesos for two rooms for two nights, or twice what we were expecting. We argued with them for quite a bit, but they were adamant that the rates were fixed and we must have misunderstood. I'm still not sure where the miscommunication occurred - I thought we were very clear when we asked about the rates, but none of us are native Spanish speakers so it's possible that they misunderstood the question. The hotel was nice, but had we known what we were paying we would have been much picker about the dripping air conditioner, plugged up bath tub, etc. In reality we probably would have gone and stayed somewhere cheaper.

Anyhow, so that got the day off to a rough start, but we forged onward. The last bus back to Santo Domingo leaves at 4:30PM, so we had some time to kill.

We decided to head over to Rancho Baiguate (one of the "adventure" bases) to see what we could do. For $1500 pesos they offered whitewater rafting, including breakfast, lunch, and two beers. We'd already had breakfast so we took the trip, with a 10% discount. They issued us wetsuits (the water was cool, but I don't really see that they were necessary), paddles, life preservers, and helmets. We set off for the Jaque river in a bus. Altogether there were around 30 people in 7 rafts.

The river was fun. It was mostly class 2 with a few class 3 rapids. Nothing too dangerous or crazy, but good for an adrenaline rush. One raft flipped, ours lost a couple passengers, we did some swimming, and a good time was had by all. Total time to do the trip was around 4 hours, including preparation, transportation, and rafting. After we returned to the rancho, they offered photos for sale and we watched a video of the trip (also for sale).

Before we left, we called ahead from the front desk to make a reservation with Caribe Tours. We got a lift back into town on the Rancho Baiguate truck and bought our tickets at the window.

We returned about 20 minutes before the bus was scheduled to leave, only to find that all the seats were taken. The bus driver had allowed passengers with tickets on an earlier bus to board the last bus out. He argued with us at the door to the bus for several minutes, with half the party on the bus and half of us waiting outside. He kept telling us it wasn't his problem and that we had to go talk to the ticket counter. Of course there was no way I was getting off the bus - the driver was inching away from the lot and was ready to take off. We argued for a bit more, and then finally accepted our fate. He allowed us on board and we took up spots sitting in the aisles for the 2.5 hour ride.

I've been on plenty of buses where they sold more tickets than they had seats, but that's usually found on 2nd class buses. I was pretty irked at Caribe Tours, but we were in no position to argue.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While the reports was certainly an A for reporting

Your tactics for getting the reservation were close to "F"

You should have used a native Dominican to get you the rate, gotten a confirmation number and a personal contact. Jarabaco is still starting to learn about tourists aand how to deal fairly with them. Baiguate is by far the more savvy place.

Your reporting will most certainly serve as a warning for others to be on the watch out. I think you did us all a good service..

If you want an exotic beach (Punta Rucia) and are willing to travel a bit, you can stay for like RD$700 a nite with breakfast-no A/C but a nice fan...place is Gernam run. Food is good.

PM me if you want to try it, and I'll give you directions on how to get there.

HB :D:D

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:
You should have used a native Dominican to get you the rate, gotten a confirmation number and a personal contact.
I agree with you on getting a local to make the reservation, they often get special prices. However, I'd be surprised if any hotel in the DR gives out confirmation numbers. (Heck, the concept of a confirmation number doesn't even work when I rent a car from a major rental company in the DR).

The lesson learned should be to reconfirm the price before checking into a hotel. The same logic would apply to renting a car, getting into a taxi, etc.

maharashii

Jul 1, 2005
We did confirm the rate before checking in, but we were asking how much for 2 rooms for 2 nights - basically the total. They said 4250 pesos. When we went to check out it was 4250 pesos per room. They showed us a rate sheet that had 4250 per room as well. I figure that either they deliberately misinformed us so that we would make the reservation and check-in, or they somehow misunderstood when we asked for the total for 2 rooms for 2 nights. In any event, next time I will be sure to ask for the tarifa and do my own multiplication. I usually don't stay in these touristy places so maybe I've just gotten rusty.

Also, this was at the Gran Jimenoa. We only stopped by Baiguate for the rafting thing.

As for Punta Rucia - I'd love to visit there, but I'm not sure I can do it in a weekend. I'm all the way on the southern coast, about an hour and a half west of Santo Domingo. I imagine it would take a good 8-10 hours to get all the way to Punta Rucia.

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
What the Gran Jimenoa Charged You is 100% Consistent With Their Published Rates

maharashii said:
We did confirm the rate before checking in, but we were asking how much for 2 rooms for 2 nights - basically the total. They said 4250 pesos. When we went to check out it was 4250 pesos per room. They showed us a rate sheet that had 4250 per room as well. I figure that either they deliberately misinformed us so that we would make the reservation and check-in, or they somehow misunderstood when we asked for the total for 2 rooms for 2 nights. In any event, next time I will be sure to ask for the tarifa and do my own multiplication. I usually don't stay in these touristy places so maybe I've just gotten rusty.

If you go to the rate section of the Gran Jimenoa's website located at http://www.granjimenoa.com/ you will discover that the weekend rate for a double room is RD$2,125. So, 2 rooms for 2 nights would be RD$8,500, the exact amount you were charged. (I am assuming that you had 2 people staying in each of the two rooms.) It is more likely the "misinformation" was due to language problems rather than intentional deception.

By the way, did you uncover a less expensive alternative that you can recommend?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Punta Rucia

From where you are to Santo Domingo 1.5 hrs
Sto Dgo to Santiago..1.5 hours
Santiago to Punta Rucia 1.5 hrs

Total 4.5 hours + a hours for beer and food stops.

Let me know.

HB :D:D:D

miguelito

Feb 16, 2005
Neil de CT said:
If you go to the rate section of the Gran Jimenoa's website located at http://www.granjimenoa.com/ you will discover that the weekend rate for a double room is RD$2,125. So, 2 rooms for 2 nights would be RD$8,500, the exact amount you were charged. (I am assuming that you had 2 people staying in each of the two rooms.) It is more likely the "misinformation" was due to language problems rather than intentional deception.

By the way, did you uncover a less expensive alternative that you can recommend?
I have been in Jarabacoa at March. We stayed at 2 Rivers Rancho.
They called it cabano, but it was a very nice house/villa with the large back yard with BBQ. Inside was a living room with the bar, kitchen outside, big master bedroom, junior bedroom and children bedroom. 4 adults and 4 children could stay there very comfortable. And for everything I payed
2000 RD per night. But I have a Dominican wife, do you?

clara

Jan 6, 2005
Miguelito:

Do you have telefono/contact info for this 2 Rivers Rancho? Thanks.

Clara

miguelito

Feb 16, 2005
clara said:
Miguelito:

Do you have telefono/contact info for this 2 Rivers Rancho? Thanks.

Clara
I will call my wife at Santiago and let you know tomorrow if she still have it OK?

miguelito

Feb 16, 2005
miguelito said:
I will call my wife at Santiago and let you know tomorrow if she still have it OK?
Sorry Clara!
The # is lost. All I can tell you, the 2 Rios Rancho is located at avenida Confluencia, all the way down, near the point, the 2 rivers merge together.
If you interested, I will PM you the telephon # of my wife. You can call her in Santiago and she will give you more detailed directions and description.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
miguelito said:
Sorry Clara!
The # is lost. All I can tell you, the 2 Rios Rancho is located at avenida Confluencia, all the way down, near the point, the 2 rivers merge together.
If you interested, I will PM you the telephon # of my wife. You can call her in Santiago and she will give you more detailed directions and description.

Are sure you are not talking about http://www.ranchobaiguate.com/rancho2/inicio.htm
because it is located near la confluenza de Rio Jimenoa y Rio Yaque del Norte

or this might be the place: If you can speak Spanish, contact Amalfis Castillo de los Santos or her husband Jerineldo De los Santos. They have furnished Cabanas near the Confluenza ( about five minutes from Jarabacoa ) 809-574-2918.My wife knows them well but is not sure if they speak any English, Jerineldo may speak some because he was a Dominican York for a few years.

Last edited:

miguelito

Feb 16, 2005
bob saunders said:
Are sure you are not talking about http://www.ranchobaiguate.com/rancho2/inicio.htm
because it is located near la confluenza de Rio Jimenoa y Rio Yaque del Norte

or this might be the place: If you can speak Spanish, contact Amalfis Castillo de los Santos or her husband Jerineldo De los Santos. They have furnished Cabanas near the Confluenza ( about five minutes from Jarabacoa ) 809-574-2918.My wife knows them well but is not sure if they speak any English, Jerineldo may speak some because he was a Dominican York for a few years.
Not sure, but it is possible. The Jerineldo guy could not speak any english at all thou. What is the Dominican York?