Benefits of living in 3rd world country.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
For the people who consistantly complain about daily life in DR, here are some benefits in living in a 3rd world country.

I own a 1500 dollar tag watch which has broken down 3 times already. In USA they were charging me an arm and a leg to fix it. It was simply worth giving it away. I went to pakistan and fixed it for a few dollars. Works great. Now about the battery issues. I used to get the battery changed every 3 yrs in USA for 25 dollars. I was told that there was a silicon seal that has to be put in and the watch has to be tested in pressurized water.
I had the watch opened up in pakistan and I saw with my own eyes that there was no silicon seal anywhere except the regular rubber ring seal.
No problem. This time I needed the battery changed so I had decided to take the watch to the street watch repir guy in santiago and have him change the battery right before my eyes.
It took him around 2 minutes to open up the back, change the battery and reseal the back. The whole job cost me 3 dollars. 3 dollars vs 25 dollars is a big differance.
The other day my car seat broke down and fell backwards. Turns out a metal bar had been broken in the seat's back. I took it to a street mechanic who took out my seat, welded the metal together and reinstalled the seat back into my car.
Total job: 30 mins of work and total cost: less than 7 dollars.

Now who was the genious that insists that we should educate the poor dominicans and bring their educational standards up to developed countries level? Are you nuts? You want to pay 25 dollars to change your watch battery or pay 100 dollars to have your car seat repaired?
I love DR just the way it is.
AZB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
AZB said:
For the people who consistantly complain about daily life in DR, here are some benefits in living in a 3rd world country.

I own a 1500 dollar tag watch which has broken down 3 times already. In USA they were charging me an arm and a leg to fix it. It was simply worth giving it away. I went to pakistan and fixed it for a few dollars. Works great. Now about the battery issues. I used to get the battery changed every 3 yrs in USA for 25 dollars. I was told that there was a silicon seal that has to be put in and the watch has to be tested in pressurized water.
I had the watch opened up in pakistan and I saw with my own eyes that there was no silicon seal anywhere except the regular rubber ring seal.
No problem. This time I needed the battery changed so I had decided to take the watch to the street watch repir guy in santiago and have him change the battery right before my eyes.
It took him around 2 minutes to open up the back, change the battery and reseal the back. The whole job cost me 3 dollars. 3 dollars vs 25 dollars is a big differance.
The other day my car seat broke down and fell backwards. Turns out a metal bar had been broken in the seat's back. I took it to a street mechanic who took out my seat, welded the metal together and reinstalled the seat back into my car.

Now who was the genious that insists that we should educate the poor dominicans and bring their educational standards up to developed countries level? Are you nuts? You want to pay 25 dollars to change your watch battery or pay 100 dollars to have your car seat repaired?
AZB
Pssssssst... You would make 100,000 US dollars more a year if you worked in the "OTHER" place. The 25$ would be easier to pay than the $3 bux here.

Sorry to bother you with bs abstractions like facts and spoil your day my brother. Carry on! LOL

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's make this very simple so the 5 year olds amongst us understand.
Anymore BS or off-topic posts in this thread will be deleted along with that posters access being changed to moderated status. What does that mean?
Every post you make will be looked at and approved or deleted by a moderator or myself before it's seen by the rest of the board.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
AZB said:

AZB
Hummmm, I don't know what happened to the previous threads, I guess we're starting from scratch. Why are so many Americans, Canadians, and Europeans so willing to give up their lives at home to move to a third world country? One of the poorest next to Haiti, with an unstable government,unstable economy, with the peso floating all over the place,tons of poverty,crime,hustlers and hookers,street vendors that won't leave you alone,an education system that you have to pay for(in most cases)a medical institution that barely exsists,no insurence, ira's, social security, or moneys to live on assuming that you are not in the position to save, or did not bring a little stash with you. The weather, summer in the winter, hell in the summer, tropical storms and hurricanes. It seems that there are other better options for long term retirement. Why don't more people relocate to the US Virgins or Puerto Rico if your from the states, the dollar is stable and English, a big plus for the non speaking Spanish.
Curious to know why you relocated, why you left your country, and why you picked the DR. Assuming you don't have a nest egg, what will people do when they get old and can't work, there health starts to fail with no insurence, and no family members from home to help. Seems like it's a daily struggle for most of us, no matter where you live today, what happens when the partys over?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Original Poster's Comments

Robert said:
Let's make this very simple so the 5 year olds amongst us understand.
Anymore BS or off-topic posts in this thread will be deleted along with that posters access being changed to moderated status. What does that mean?
Every post you make will be looked at and approved or deleted by a moderator or myself before it's seen by the rest of the board.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

O.P. suggests that it would not be beneficial to raise the standard of education so that he will benefit by a sub standard way of life( education wise) in a third world country. So is this thread one that disputes or agrees with his comments? Only asking for direction -because the thread is flawed to begin with(Comparisions to wage and costs vs. the U.S.????) Personally, I think the comments made by the o.p. are a bit insulting and self-serving but what do I know I don't live there.

JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I think that...

ggn420 said:
Hummmm, I don't know what happened to the previous threads, I guess we're starting from scratch. Why are so many Americans, Canadians, and Europeans so willing to give up their lives at home to move to a third world country? One of the poorest next to Haiti, with an unstable government,unstable economy, with the peso floating all over the place,tons of poverty,crime,hustlers and hookers,street vendors that won't leave you alone,an education system that you have to pay for(in most cases)a medical institution that barely exsists,no insurence, ira's, social security, or moneys to live on assuming that you are not in the position to save, or did not bring a little stash with you. The weather, summer in the winter, hell in the summer, tropical storms and hurricanes. It seems that there are other better options for long term retirement. Why don't more people relocate to the US Virgins or Puerto Rico if your from the states, the dollar is stable and English, a big plus for the non speaking Spanish.
Curious to know why you relocated, why you left your country, and why you picked the DR. Assuming you don't have a nest egg, what will people do when they get old and can't work, there health starts to fail with no insurence, and no family members from home to help. Seems like it's a daily struggle for most of us, no matter where you live today, what happens when the partys over?

the previous posting were deleted because the topic drifted off to one that was only focused on whether or not the OP was a racist in some of his comments. ie: UBH-- so here we are again discussing the cost of a battery change or the back seat of his car and how great it is that it cost so little in his 3rd world country and not Atlanta Ga. Who wee, let the debate begin and maybe we'll learn the answer to some of your questions.

JOHN

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
johne said:
O.P. suggests that it would not be beneficial to raise the standard of education so that he will benefit by a sub standard way of life( education wise) in a third world country. So is this thread one that disputes or agrees with his comments? Only asking for direction -because the thread is flawed to begin with(Comparisions to wage and costs vs. the U.S.????) Personally, I think the comments made by the o.p. are a bit insulting and self-serving but what do I know I don't live there.

JOHN
He was doing good.......until the last paragraph.LOL

katty

Mar 14, 2003
you sound pretty ruthless to me

ggn420 said:
You do not even have clue. Some of the things you say are so right but, then again in my opinion, I read your message and you are so

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I don't understand

katty said:
You do not even have clue. Some of the things you say are so right but, then again in my opinion, I read your message and you are so

your posting. Can you be clearer with your point?

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
johne said:
the previous posting were deleted because the topic drifted off to one that was only focused on whether or not the OP was a racist in some of his comments. ie: UBH-- so here we are again discussing the cost of a battery change or the back seat of his car and how great it is that it cost so little in his 3rd world country and not Atlanta Ga. Who wee, let the debate begin and maybe we'll learn the answer to some of your questions.

JOHN
John, Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the DR. I have been going there for 12 years, started with some business we do in Santiago, and then vacationed every year since. We bought a small piece of property there, and after reading several forums, and traveling the country, observing..... I had considered the move myself, but now am doing a little more homework.
Who knows if I'll ever have the answers I'm looking for. Have to wait and see which way the wind blowssssss

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I hear you

ggn420 said:
John, Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the DR. I have been going there for 12 years, started with some business we do in Santiago, and then vacationed every year since. We bought a small piece of property there, and after reading several forums, and traveling the country, observing..... I had considered the move myself, but now am doing a little more homework.
Who knows if I'll ever have the answers I'm looking for. Have to wait and see which way the wind blowssssss

and I think your post was an honest search asking for some intelligent answers. Lets see which way the wind bloooows. For starters dont understand the first response--think she is missing part of her answer(?)

JOHN

katty

Mar 14, 2003
yea i can

johne said:
your posting. Can you be clearer with your point?
why are you so down with this country? The people that decide to live here is their choice. There are jobs if they want to work but they decide not to do the work as the haitis (sp) do it cheaper. OK were does that bring the people of DR to

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Insulting

I found this to be one of the more insulting posts I have read.
How shallow and callous.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
couldn't have said it better

jrf said:
I found this to be one of the more insulting posts I have read.
How shallow and callous.

and could add---- degrading? Wonder what the relatives of these people ,living in major cities in the U.S. ,think of the poster's comments?

JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Read my posts before replying and do your sleeping

katty said:
why are you so down with this country? The people that decide to live here is their choice. There are jobs if they want to work but they decide not to do the work as the haitis (sp) do it cheaper. OK were does that bring the people of DR to

in bed and not while replying.
Where do I say this? Helllloooo? Still don't understand your response even after last nite's sleep. Perhaps later in the day I might some sense of your gibbrish.

JOHN

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
ggn429..whomever you are..you hit the nail on the head with your laundry list of reasons of why someone would not want to move to the dr...matter of fact..out of that list..the medical care issue is the part that made me rethink
retiring to any third world country..let alone the dr. in particular.there lack of a emergency medical response team.the other issues i can deal with..i grew up in new york city and was married to a hurricane. i'm confused as to why a guy from pakistan would start a thread like this?? a move from pakistan to the dominican republic is like switching seats on the Titanic.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
maybe

paddy said:
ggn429..whomever you are..you hit the nail on the head with your laundry list of reasons of why someone would not want to move to the dr...matter of fact..out of that list..the medical care issue is the part that made me rethink
retiring to any third world country..let alone the dr. in particular.there lack of a emergency medical response team.the other issues i can deal with..i grew up in new york city and was married to a hurricane. i'm confused as to why a guy from pakistan would start a thread like this?? a move from pakistan to the dominican republic is like switching seats on the Titanic.

bigger fish in smaller pond?

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Good Luck

paddy said:
Fact is "the truth hurts" Where do all the posters go when there up against a brick wall? If you are independently wealthy with a nice nest egg, you still can't buy your health. It will be interesting to see where all these people are in 20 years. How many will return to their country, or better yet, will their country let them back in. Government policies have "changed" since the initial arrival of the expats during the sixties, when the banana and tobacco industries were booming and controlled by the foreigners.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
talk about not seeing the forest because of the trees..in this case palm trees.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
paddy said:
a move from pakistan to the dominican republic is like switching seats on the Titanic.
Well, I don't think you know me well. I moved from pakistan to a bigger pond called USA. Educated there and grew up like everyone else who lives in a big city. Then I moved to a smaller pond because I am still a small fish.
So lets hijack this thread the right way. Why do we all move to this horrible country if the life is so great in the 1st world county?
Its all too simple.
We move here for peace of mind and stressfree lifestyle.
The 1# killer in USA is stress. You have diseases in USA that people in other countries haven't even heard of. Many folk live hand to mouth in many major cities in USA. Some folks make over 100,000 dollars / yr and still struggle to make ends meet. So many lonely folks among so many other lonely folks living in major cities of USA. So many men who have no contact with the opposite sex. Women running the show in the house while the husbands carry the babies behind them. Both sexes have confused their rolls in society. There are more miserable folks living in USA in one state alone than in the whole dom rep island. There is more crime in one state alone than the whole island here. There are more people in jails in one state alone than folks in jail in the whole island here. The list is endless. Tell me who is happy in USA? For every one person who claims to be happy in USA there are thousands who are miserable. many don't know they are miserable beacuse they don't know what its like here in the caribbean. Once they come here for vacation, they end up marrying a street hooker and give up their 60 thousand / yr job to live in a wooden shack in some barrio with their domincian soulmate / sankie. Why do you think people do that?
In Dr, we have ideal weather and natural beauty. 7 yrs of my residency and I have never been hurt by a hurricane. I live inland. I have seen more tornedos in Georgia alone than anything of the same scale in my area (santiago).
For every problem in this island, we have 10 solutions. If you have long blackouts in your area, then get a power inverter. I have lights 24/7. If you have water shut downs, get a water tank on your roof. I always have water 24/7. If your wife bitches too much, replace her with a younger prettier wife. Hell, better take crap from a hotshot model than from a fatso 40 plus loud mouth. Hahahahaha
Bring enough money to live well or get involved in some work that produces alot of money. You don't even need a lot of money to live better than USA. If you make 200 dollars / day, you can live really well in most parts of this island.
There is everything here, good schools and universities. All depends on you and your budget. The more sugar you add, the sweeter it gets. So my message is: come prepared and blend in. You will live a longer stressfree life here than in USA. I almost have no problems in this island. I can pay my rent 10 days late and no problems with my credit history. hell, I have no credit history. I can make all sorts of traffic violations and I get no points on my license. there is no point system at all in place. I can go out every night and it makes no differance on my work schedule. I only work 4 1/2 days / week. I go to beach regularly and enjoy life 24/7. We have BBQ's and parties every week somewhere. There are no problems in this country if you socialize with the right type of people. You can get everything here that you could imagine getting in USA.
Now I have friends who are rich in USA but do they have time to enjoy their lives? I think not. They take one week out of a whole year and spend money like crazy but then for the rest of the year, they work like slaves. Their lives revolve around their work and their possessions. Most are not even happy.
I am not a big fish in a small pond. I was a small fish to begin with and now I fit in here perfectly. I don't claim to own 50 apartments in USA and then dream about coming to DR from there. I live here exactly where you all want to be at. I consider myself already retired.
AZB