villa vasquez

saraellen

Jul 15, 2005
Hi, I recently spent a few days visiting some wonderful people in Villa Vaszquez, near Monte Cristi, and had a few questions. What kind of jobs are available there, and what do they pay? (I kept hearing that there is almost no work available for the people there). How would I find out the unemployment rate in the town, and how much of the economy depends on remittances from relatives who have migrated to New York City? I'm trying to get a handle on the prospects for the young people who live in this town and are not able to emigrate. Thank you for your help, Sara

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sara: If you were in Villa Vaasquez

You were there on a mission for some church sponsored or doing some volunteer work.

There is little reason for anyone to go there, that is for sure.

The town is almost 100% dependant on agriculture and remittances. Ther is no industry, and very little commerce beyond day to day markets for food stuffs.

The nuns run a great little school there and they do play some good f?tbol and baseball up there.

One of the reasons that Law 28-01 was so important was that it would stimulate investments in industrial facilities that could have employed thousands of people from around the area.

Important interests ( Corripio, Lama, & Radiocentro) pretty much put a halt to that....

HB :p:p:p