I looked at holland
a lot of rules, and rules for the rules
the goverment just did what they liked
and you don't have a life

i am still on holiday and it feels good

Cirilo

Mar 17, 2005
me and the DR

I arrived in the DR in 1999 for a university placement, I was working for an NGO in Santo Domingo for 2 months. Then back to my country to finish my university.

6 months after, I decided to come back with my bag and my laptop for an adventure : go to DR with no job and no money and try to make my life here. I has not been easy at the beginning, but after 6 years, I have a webdesign agency and my girlfriend and I are running a hotel.

So I guess I just felt in love with this country, even if it's not easy everydays !

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
FYI: The Dominican is a person and not a place.
Most of us refer to it as the DR.
In my case, I had heard good things about the DR & Costa Rica.
My girlfriend, who I was moving here with, had vacationed here, liked it, so I came down and took a look, also liked it, so that settled the DR/Costa Rica debate.
Glad it worked out this way, as I hear that Costa Rica is not as gringo friendly as it used to be.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Rocky said:
FYI: The Dominican is a person and not a place.
Most of us refer to it as the DR.
In my case, I had heard good things about the DR & Costa Rica.
My girlfriend, who I was moving here with, had vacationed here, liked it, so I came down and took a look, also liked it, so that settled the DR/Costa Rica debate.
Glad it worked out this way, as I hear that Costa Rica is not as gringo friendly as it used to be.
The" Dominican" is also a place that Americans refer to, for short, just like Dominicans call the United States..."The States". I am not offended by the later and I don't beleive that the Dominican people are offended either, but the Americans that live there seem to be.
This has been brought up a million times.........and goes nowhere

May 31, 2005
ggn420 said:
The" Dominican" is also a place that Americans refer to, for short, just like Dominicans call the United States..."The States". I am not offended by the later and I don't beleive that the Dominican people are offended either, but the Americans that live there seem to be.
This has been brought up a million times.........and goes nowhere
It may be referred to as the Dominican but it does not make it right. When you say the states you are talking about many states such as the united states. The Dominican is not talking about anything.

Sorry to go off topic. Now go on. I cannot answer the post because I am Dominican.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Dragonfly32837 said:
It may be referred to as the Dominican but it does not make it right. When you say the states you are talking about many states such as the united states. The Dominican is not talking about anything.

Sorry to go off topic. Now go on. I cannot answer the post because I am Dominican.
No one is saying it is right, anymore than calling the US the states is right. It is typical SLANG just like Spanglish.....It will never go away.

May 31, 2005
ggn420 said:
No one is saying it is right, anymore than calling the US the states is right. It is typical SLANG just like Spanglish.....It will never go away.
Slang is something that is well known. I have not heard people call the Dominican Republic the Dominican enough to call it slang.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Peace Corps, 1962

Met someone on August 16, 1963.
Got married in December 1965.
EOS

HB :D:D

And, yes, she met all of HB's Three Golden Rules and much more.....:p:p:p

RE: "Dominican" . It's an adjective, while "states" is a noun...EOS, again..OOOOHH yeah!!!

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Hillbilly said:
Met someone on August 16, 1963.
Got married in December 1965.
EOS

HB :D:D

And, yes, she met all of HB's Three Golden Rules and much more.....:p:p:p

RE: "Dominican" . It's an adjective, while "states" is a noun...EOS, again..OOOOHH yeah!!!

wow long time in DR.... that's great.

i read somewhere that you teach at pucm univ... what do you teach there and were you a teacher in the states or how did you go from peace corps to professor?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Was a teaching assistant at Fairleigh Dickinson before PC

History, Geography, Statistics as Applied to Social Studies.

Retired

Still teach at PUCMM--Western Civ.

HB

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
I was living in San Antonio, TX, when I received an offer to work in Santiago (Zona Franca) and I thought Santiago-Chile. When the headhunter mentioned Santiago-DR, I hesitated about the offer. After a few conversations with the employer and headhunter, I decided to come here on a trial basis and that was 1 year ago.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Wag said:
I was living in San Antonio, TX, when I received an offer to work in Santiago (Zona Franca) and I thought Santiago-Chile. When the headhunter mentioned Santiago-DR, I hesitated about the offer. After a few conversations with the employer and headhunter, I decided to come here on a trial basis and that was 1 year ago.

if i may ask what kind of job?

i wish i could work in DR and live over there. i live, work in nyc in software design/test and have degree in accounting.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My very first time in this country, I found "home". I returned to the country of my origin and made a point of visiting here as often as I could, in fact 13 times in 3 years. Some day I would move here....

SOme day came sooner then expected. I had become disillusioned with my business and sold it. Now what am I going to do, I thought????

I sold everything and moved. Slowly I am recreating myself, my lifestyle, a business, in fact a life!

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
THE GAME said:
if i may ask what kind of job?

i wish i could work in DR and live over there. i live, work in nyc in software design/test and have degree in accounting.

It is related to the Apparel Industry. Until recently most of the work here was only labor related, meaning, the US would ship all the components to make a garment, they would sew it and ship it back charging only for labor.

Now, the US is moving more of their operations to the contractors and will eventually only manage "brands" (like Levis's) having the contractors deal with everything else from purchasing the Raw materials to Distributing directly to retail stores.

I am helping them with the transition.

Needless to say I am getting paid what I would get paid in the US for the same job, but the benefits here are .... well..... very well documented all over this board. Even better now that I am recently divorced and still in my 30's...

*Raises a presidente beer*

Cheers!!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wag said:
Needless to say I am getting paid what I would get paid in the US for the same job, but the benefits here are .... well..... very well documented all over this board. Even better now that I am recently divorced and still in my 30's...
All the perks of living in the DR and a US salary.
That's the way to travel.