SunVillage Beach Resort in Puerto Plata July 31 - Aug 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejblove

Jul 17, 2005
Hello everyone!!!

I am new here and I have been reading through a lot of previous threads to see if I could answer some of my own questions...... I must compliment everyone on here. You guys are so helpful and informative even when people ask the same questions over & over & over again (kinda like I am about to do ;) )

I am from NYC and have countless of Dominican friends and tomorrow is Dominican Pride day in the city w/ a parade and festival .....

My sister & I are booked at the Sun Village Beach Resort starting July 31 and we depart August 5. I think I just want someone to tell me that we shouldn't worry too much about hurricanes & tropical storms since Puerto Plata usually doesn't get hit and/or if it does it will be gone in a day.

Does anyone know the resort? I have been around the caribbean and stay in moderate places - definitely can not afford the top notch places - and I am always satisfied! I read some negative things about our resort but their complaints don't seem all that concerning to me i.e. lots of stairs, public beach use, ok food.

We were thinking about going to Ocean World for a day - just the $55 admission charge. Is this worth it?

Also - I reserved us spots on a catamaran day tour through Freestyle Catamaran. Does anyone know this excursion? is this worth it? The cost is $72, you get lunch and snorkeling and a day on the water. If this seems high, can someone recommend another boating/snorkeling day tour that we can do (we haven't put $ down yet for this)

AND if there is anything I need to know about the area, resort, excursions, locals, etc... just let me know.

I do not speak Spanish, but can understand it enough I THINK. Is this going to be a real problem there?

Other than hurricanes, what is the typical temp & humidity the first week of August are we going to be 'soupy'?

Thanks so much -
EJ

Special K

Feb 6, 2005
Catamaran

The freestyle catamaran trip is worth the money. We paid about the same amount. All the rum you can drink, good snorkeling, good music, tasty lunch, friendly staff. Bring gravol if you tend to be seasick, there were a few on our boat that wished they had. Don't forget the sunscreen, a few looked pretty burnt.

daisyone

Aug 16, 2003
ejblove said:
Hello everyone!!!

I am new here and I have been reading through a lot of previous threads to see if I could answer some of my own questions...... I must compliment everyone on here. You guys are so helpful and informative even when people ask the same questions over & over & over again (kinda like I am about to do ;) )

I am from NYC and have countless of Dominican friends and tomorrow is Dominican Pride day in the city w/ a parade and festival .....

My sister & I are booked at the Sun Village Beach Resort starting July 31 and we depart August 5. I think I just want someone to tell me that we shouldn't worry too much about hurricanes & tropical storms since Puerto Plata usually doesn't get hit and/or if it does it will be gone in a day.

Does anyone know the resort? I have been around the caribbean and stay in moderate places - definitely can not afford the top notch places - and I am always satisfied! I read some negative things about our resort but their complaints don't seem all that concerning to me i.e. lots of stairs, public beach use, ok food.

We were thinking about going to Ocean World for a day - just the $55 admission charge. Is this worth it?

Also - I reserved us spots on a catamaran day tour through Freestyle Catamaran. Does anyone know this excursion? is this worth it? The cost is $72, you get lunch and snorkeling and a day on the water. If this seems high, can someone recommend another boating/snorkeling day tour that we can do (we haven't put $ down yet for this)

AND if there is anything I need to know about the area, resort, excursions, locals, etc... just let me know.

I do not speak Spanish, but can understand it enough I THINK. Is this going to be a real problem there?

Other than hurricanes, what is the typical temp & humidity the first week of August are we going to be 'soupy'?

Thanks so much -
EJ
Hello EJ.
I've been to Sun Village a few times. Its a great resort. The staff there are very friendly and helpful. Food is not bad at all..the resort is well maintained and the pools are beautiful. I wish I could say that there wont be any tropical storms, but I'm not from the DR and dont really know. This site has a weather section that keeps us up to date.
We are going to Sun Village on the 8th of August and will be staying a week. I cant wait! When you are there, be sure to go to the local souveniere huts along Cofressi beach. When you go to the beach from the resort, go RIGHT (toward ocean world),walk a short distance, you will see them. Look for 'Eddy the Cheap's hut. He's a terrific guy and will give you the best prices. (Tell him Chuck and Ann from PA will be down soon to see him please.)
Have a wonderful time.
Daisy :)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Sun Village is a very nice resort! You will enjoy it. Yes there are stairs but it sounds like you are young enough to handle them!!!

YOu most likely will not face a hurricane or tropical storm! However you will see some cloudy weather and likely a tropical shower or two. So, bring a small umbrella and shoes you don't mind getting wet! Yes, it is most likely to be humid but we almost always have a breeze so you dont' feel it is badly.

Bring mosquito repellant with high DEET content - over 22%! With the rain and humidity mosquitos are a fact of life right now. Kind of like New York if I am not mistaken.....

Freestyle Catamaran is worth every peso (or dollar) you spend. It is a wonderful trip, go and enjoy it. Make sure you take high spf sun screen for that day!

Ocean world is quite remarkable. It is just down the road from your hotel!

If you want to experience the night life outside the hotel just send me a PM and I can give you more info...

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
As far as tours are concerned, don't reserve or pay before you get here. I am not familiar with access to sales reps at Sun Village, but at Paya Dorada many reps sell the same tour. The hotel based reps are usually higher than those located in the Plaza. At the plaza you can usually negotiate the price by the rep discounting his commission, especially if you more than two people or interested in multiple excursions. Book you Ocean World and other tours through the same rep and he surely should discount it as he has room to play with his commission. In fact, insist on a discount. Also, be sure that the reservation can be modified depending on the weather.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
ejblove said:

.EJ

$55 Admission ($40 kids) to Ocean World includes the following:

1) Bus transfers from Sun Village
2) Lunch Buffet (drinks extra)
3) Snorkeling in Snorkel Reef Aquarium (equipment & instructions included)
4) Rainforest/Bird Sancturary/Tiger Pool Exhibits
5) Sea Lion Show
6) Shark feeding Show
7) Observation of Dolphin and Sea Lion interaction programs
8) Use of Dolphin Beach

ejblove

Jul 17, 2005
Thank you all - keep em coming....

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my posting so far. I really appreciate all the tips, advice & info.

Please keep it coming. Thanks so much.
EJ

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HOWMAR while I understand what you are saying, the sun village is not close to the "plaza". So this probably won't work for them. What the Reps sell is not always the same as what is sold at the Plaza and outside the hotels. AND not all reps sell the same product.

reservations: I've never heard of any reputable company not either refunding or changing reservations because of weather!

There are many many different excursions here! Understand what you are buying and from who you are buying it!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
planner said:
HOWMAR while I understand what you are saying, the sun village is not close to the "plaza". So this probably won't work for them. What the Reps sell is not always the same as what is sold at the Plaza and outside the hotels. AND not all reps sell the same product.

reservations: I've never heard of any reputable company not either refunding or changing reservations because of weather!

There are many many different excursions here! Understand what you are buying and from who you are buying it!

I agree. The point I was making is that everthing is negotiable. Always compare apples to apples. A true "Monster Truck" tour is the same. Not a generic truck tour. As far as Ocean World is concerned. $55.00 is what the tour operator wants and is the same as you would pay at the gate. Tell him he has to drop his commission rate for multiple tickets or you'll buy at the gate. I have seen people buy 4 tickets from a tour rep. for $50.00 each. If you buy through someone who is reputable, yet has competition, you can save money. For example CB Tours (CB stands for C. Brugal of the Brugal empire) is a stable company to deal with, yet has to be competitive with all the other tour operators. A hotel-based tour rep. has no competition and charges accordingly.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Point made and I agree. Make sure you compare apples to apples.

In some ways though the reps are facing competition. Forums like this help to facilitate the "correct" information getting out there. Things are starting to change but still the Tour Operators want to build a wall around their clients. I understand why but I don't necessarilly agree.

Here is what I believe:

1. You do NOT have to buy from your rep. You have choice.

2. It IS safe to leave the resort. Use your common sense and read DR1 first.

3. All excursions are not the same. Make sure you know what you are buying and who you are buying it from. Ask for recommendations, read websites, do searches.

4. Do your homework before you get here. Do NOT listen to rumours. Do NOT believe everything you read or are told....

calbano

Aug 11, 2005
planner sunvillage

Planner . sinse so much changed in 25 yrs including my age lol. let me ask you. I hate excursions , did the dolphins in hawaii but looking for relaxing atmosphere in pop out side resort. Read plently of places to go if your in your 20's but im in the 50's :( any ideas???? coming the 6th hope i here reply soon. you can yahoo me at calbano also if easer...
Thanks for aLL THE HELP ON DR1

Status
Not open for further replies.