Samana Airport...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Can someone give me the details on this airport? Where exactly is it being built and when is expected completion date? Also, I am interested in any information on development plans around Playa Rincon?

Thanks.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Good Question

They have showed International Airports (2) for some time on the map I have, but I don't think either one is open or built. Correct me if I'm wrong....had no options other than LasTerrenas last Mar. They show Arroyo Baril on the south coast, and the Samana Int. up north in El Catey. You hear so many conflicting reports, no one seems to know what's going on.

Berto

Jun 20, 2003
Samana Airport: always opening next week!

ggn420 said:
They have showed International Airports (2) for some time on the map I have, but I don't think either one is open or built. Correct me if I'm wrong....had no options other than LasTerrenas last Mar. They show Arroyo Baril on the south coast, and the Samana Int. up north in El Catey. You hear so many conflicting reports, no one seems to know what's going on.

Since August of 1996 (my first of many visits), the Samana Airport has been opening "next week." If you express any scepticism about this, the person (usually someone selling property) will swear they themself stood on the completed runway.

Buy it now. Best to get in early, before the tourism boom!

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
Berto said:
Since August of 1996 (my first of many visits), the Samana Airport has been opening "next week." If you express any scepticism about this, the person (usually someone selling property) will swear they themself stood on the completed runway.

Buy it now. Best to get in early, before the tourism boom!

you're not going to respond to the hotel article? runway is paved and terminal is going up. see earlier articles, photos under "airline info" section on page 2. it's happening, cynics be damned.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
BrasdeLait said:
you're not going to respond to the hotel article? runway is paved and terminal is going up. see earlier articles, photos under "airline info" section on page 2. it's happening, cynics be damned.
Which location is it going in, the north or south?

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
ggn420 said:
Which location is it going in, the north or south?

from dr1 news july 19, 2005

Investment in airports
Airport operation concession holder Aerodom said that it is investing US$253.9 million in the construction, expansion, and renovation of several airports. Company president Abraham Hazoury and Executive Director Astrid Diaz Menicucci also stated that on 1 December 2005, Aerodom would start operating the new north satellite. They declared that they are complying with the investment program included in the contract signed with the DR government. They informed that work on El Catey Airport in Samana is advanced and a large part of the landing strip is finished and paved. Work on El Catey Airport is expected to finish in 2007, according to the two main Aerodom executives

matt77y

Jan 4, 2003
Sorry, maybe my English is not good enough to fully comprehend what this excerpt really means. Does it mean that the operation of El Catey is expected to start in December 2005 or in 2007?

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
matt77y said:
Sorry, maybe my English is not good enough to fully comprehend what this excerpt really means. Does it mean that the operation of El Catey is expected to start in December 2005 or in 2007?

IMF contract stipulates that it must be complete by 1st quarter of 2007 but for sure they will try to finish by november of 2006 so that they don't lose out on the winter season of 2006-2007.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
BrasdeLait said:
from dr1 news july 19, 2005

Investment in airports
Airport operation concession holder Aerodom said that it is investing US$253.9 million in the construction, expansion, and renovation of several airports. Company president Abraham Hazoury and Executive Director Astrid Diaz Menicucci also stated that on 1 December 2005, Aerodom would start operating the new north satellite. They declared that they are complying with the investment program included in the contract signed with the DR government. They informed that work on El Catey Airport in Samana is advanced and a large part of the landing strip is finished and paved. Work on El Catey Airport is expected to finish in 2007, according to the two main Aerodom executives
Thanks, good info!!