Post to DR from UK

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Could anyone help? I have sent 3 letters to DR and none of them have got to the address. I contacted the UK post office who were no help at all. Any suggestions? Also on the subject of communication - my text messages dont seem to get any further than the Orange network in the DR and not to whom i am sending them to. Again i contacted my service provider O2 who confirmed that the messages reached Orange in DR.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Perhaps the recipient of the letters could go to the post-office that you mailed the letters to, and find if they are there. Mail delivery does not work too well here.

As far as text messages.. Can't say. Orange works fairly well but sometimes is not too reliable. There is the possibility that the person that you're contacting does not want to be contacted?

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Chris said:
Perhaps the recipient of the letters could go to the post-office that you mailed the letters to, and find if they are there. Mail delivery does not work too well here.

As far as text messages.. Can't say. Orange works fairly well but sometimes is not too reliable. There is the possibility that the person that you're contacting does not want to be contacted?

I dont think that is the case as he calls me everyday but it becomes very expensive. But thanks for your help.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
crazydaisy said:
Could anyone help? I have sent 3 letters to DR and none of them have got to the address. I contacted the UK post office who were no help at all. Any suggestions? Also on the subject of communication - my text messages dont seem to get any further than the Orange network in the DR and not to whom i am sending them to. Again i contacted my service provider O2 who confirmed that the messages reached Orange in DR.

Many thanks in advance

The local post office probably opened them looking for stuff of value and then threw them out. Your friend might go down and ask the postmaster if he can at least summarize what you wrote. Use e-mail for personal messages. I have found that text messages are hit and miss - have you checked if Orange in the DR has a web page to allow you to send free text messages?

I have the same issue with Nicaragua - I cannot send text messages though my cell company says it was sent, never arrives. But I go to either Enitel or Movistar's web sites for Nicaragua and there is a virtual cell phone allowing 120 character text messages to be sent to their subscribers for free. I use it to tel my friends to look for e-mail in their Yahoo! accounts, saving them time going and finding nothing otherwise.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
ricktoronto said:
The local post office probably opened them looking for stuff of value and then threw them out. Your friend might go down and ask the postmaster if he can at least summarize what you wrote. Use e-mail for personal messages. I have found that text messages are hit and miss - have you checked if Orange in the DR has a web page to allow you to send free text messages?

I have the same issue with Nicaragua - I cannot send text messages though my cell company says it was sent, never arrives. But I go to either Enitel or Movistar's web sites for Nicaragua and there is a virtual cell phone allowing 120 character text messages to be sent to their subscribers for free. I use it to tel my friends to look for e-mail in their Yahoo! accounts, saving them time going and finding nothing otherwise.

True..so true..
Go for messengers, maybe Skype or simular that is free online calls, and of course emails...
Mail gets here, and then again mail don?t get here.. you never know.
For calls, there are many places all over DR who have cheap international calls now, if you don?t want to use computers.
Here in POP many places, such as Dotcom and Sams for example, offer calls for 8 cents to Europe and 5 cents to US/Can a minute. ( dr cents ).

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Cheaper phone calls

Hi there

Try purchasing a 'Speak and Save' phonecard from the UK. CAlls work out to around 4p per minute. I have never got a text message to send to the DR, however, I can recieve texts from the DR. That's orange to orange.

Have sent post via Royal Mail special deliver and it does get there although takes a few weeks. Best bet is to use a courier such as parcel force or fedex

If you want any more info, pm me

Take care

Emma

AmandaLou

May 27, 2005
postal service

I sent a parcel to a friend of mine in PP via Royal Mail recorded delivery, it got to Jamaica and then came back to me so I had to pay again and that time it got there. I did send it care of the hotel he works at so I feel it was a little safer but I wasn't convinced it would get there. The whole fiasco took over five months from me putting the parcel in the post the first time to it getting there! I have also sent letters to home addresses that never get there, no valuables just letter and copies of photos. I rely on e-mail on a weekly phone call to keep in touch now, it's safer.

Text wise I've never had any luck so I gave up trying.

Amandalou :bunny:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
crazydaisy said:

Many thanks in advance
The mail system in the DR is notoriously bad. You may want to try faxing your letters to a local Codetel or Tricom office.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your sankies can't read anyway

So why worry? :D:D:D:D

Actually, use of International Express Mail is fairly efficient, at least it has been for me.

Of course if your guy was intelligent (almost an oxymoron in your case) he would have an EPS or a Business Maill address in Miami for his letters from his different fish to reach him, but then he would have to pay for them to get to him and he does not pay for much, does he???

HB :D:D:D OOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
The company I work for sends my salary cap every month by regular mail from the main office in Denmark. This year I'm only missing the May envelope while the June envelope arrived after only 6 days! (New record) Of course these envelopes don't look like they contain anything of value which may be why they arrive at the destination.

However I did receive the company xmas gift by regular mail as well. It was two months underway though. It had two designer watches and I was really surprised the package made it. Usually if something of value, package or letter, has to be send here, I have people use UPS, FedEx, DHL etc. It's expensive, but again if you want your stuff to get here and get here fast it's the only way to go.

Re. text messages: I have the same problem. My messages reach the recipients in Denmark while I don't get whatever they send to me. :confused:

Skype and Gmail is what I use to communicate with the world. Free and reliable.

May 12, 2005
Hillbilly said:

Actually, use of International Express Mail is fairly efficient, at least it has been for me.

Of course if your guy was intelligent (almost an oxymoron in your case) he would have an EPS or a Business Maill address in Miami for his letters from his different fish to reach him, but then he would have to pay for them to get to him and he does not pay for much, does he???

Perhaps sankybanky.com can branch out to letter and package delivery. But if its money being sent then Western Union or other similar company should suffice, thereby eliminating the need for written correspondence that will only go unread. Save the cost of stamps and airmail. I'm sure the money can be used to help pay for " his mother's life saving operation."

chella

Aug 19, 2004
no probs for me

i send mail all the time and it always gets there no problem....it takes about 1-2 weeks none of this special delivery lark ...they pick it up at the post office and everythings there..
if u can id try and send emails or texts through the internet.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Hillbilly said:

I wanted advice not abused. !!! If you feel you cant contribute without resorting to sarcastic remarks please keep your own feelings to yourself. Also whether he pays for for anything has bog all to do with you - so i wont even dignify that with an answer. My head is strong and i am no fool ask planner. Please dont judge someone by your own twisted thoughts without at least getting to know them and the facts first.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Hillbilly said:

It amazes me how much time you must have on your hands. Has anyone ever told you 'GET A LIFE'. For someone to be so judgemental on others - there must be something lacking in their own life...

Hillbilly - Ain't ya getting none????!!!

LadyGx

May 7, 2005
re: mail and tex messages

Hi,
Just thought i'd add to the comments, the mail from the U,K takes about 3months to arrive to D.R I have only a few times sent photo's to my partner their and he tells me never to send anything from U.K. as the post is bad at their end. As for the tex messages my boyfriend always gets mine, I'm not to sure whether he's paid extra to except them on his phone as when I have tried to send them to his mother's phone they never go thro and he says her phone wont except them. Sorry I can't be of more help. Try the calling cards they are the best value,
LadyGx