Getting re-adjusted to Dominican life

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
My dad who is an early 60's retiree moved back to the DR last year after being in Canada for the better half of three decades. He decided he would go back to the old barrio he grew up in in Santo Domingo and found it to be the same or worse than when he left after the war. From there he moved to a very nice upscale house in the Zona but is still having problems adjusting. So without boring everyone to death I basically would like some opinions as to witch part of the country would best suite him. He is basically Canadianized, a welder, machanic, plumber, likes to run and keep busy.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
He needs to be in the north coast where you have a mix of foreigners and locals. Lots of Canadians and Americans to talk to ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
He needs to be in the north coast where you have a mix of foreigners and locals. Lots of Canadians and Americans to talk to ;)

Agree completely!
You are so wise Anna!
I think you need to be here too!

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Anna - I do believe for every american, there are 3 canadians on the north coast. it seems everyone we've met in the last year are from Canada.

I truly believe it's because of the great direct flights they can get. They often pay less than I pay flying from the South.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
irishdomician said:
My dad who is an early 60's retiree moved back to the DR last year after being in Canada for the better half of three decades. He decided he would go back to the old barrio he grew up in in Santo Domingo and found it to be the same or worse than when he left after the war. From there he moved to a very nice upscale house in the Zona but is still having problems adjusting. So without boring everyone to death I basically would like some opinions as to witch part of the country would best suite him. He is basically Canadianized, a welder, machanic, plumber, likes to run and keep busy.
If its not too much trouble, what exactly is impeding his adjustment?

General ambiance? Unfamiliarity?

If he misses Canada, then there is little that can be done. Maybe he should spend a weekend in Constanza to get a feeling of the cold (although he probably does not misses the cold of the north).

If he just wants to have a nice mix of Dominicans and Canadians or foreigners, then follow Anna's advice. He should be in the north coast.

However, if what he is having trouble is adjusting to life in the ZONA COLONIAL, then he should consider moving to quieter areas of the city like Los Cacigascos or Buena Vista, etc. If he can afford an apartment or house along Avenida Anacaona would be nice, right across from the Parque Mirador del Este.

If what he wants is to feel more "suburban ala Canada", then (and if he can afford it) something in a gated community would suit him nicely. Many gated communities here have that North American feel, though its still clear that you are in DR.

Nal0whs said:

If he misses Canada, then there is little that can be done. Maybe he should spend a weekend in Constanza to get a feeling of the cold (although he probably does not misses the cold of the north).

If he just wants to have a nice mix of Dominicans and Canadians or foreigners, then follow Anna's advice. He should be in the north coast.

However, if what he is having trouble is adjusting to life in the ZONA COLONIAL, then he should consider moving to quieter areas of the city like Los Cacigascos or Buena Vista, etc. If he can afford an apartment or house along Avenida Anacaona would be nice, right across from the Parque Mirador del Este.

If what he wants is to feel more "suburban ala Canada", then (and if he can afford it) something in a gated community would suit him nicely. Many gated communities here have that North American feel, though its still clear that you are in DR.

God I hate gated communities. BUT its still good advice.

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Nal0whs said:

Things just drive him crazy like when the power cuts out and when he lived in the old barrio he couldn't run anymore cause twice his house got cleaned out twice while he was running, you can't own anything of value in there. So then the move to the Zona and its nice but loud, very busy, expensive...... I think that hes happy to be their(DR) but deosn't care for the people very much.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
irishdomician said:
Things just drive him crazy like when the power cuts out and when he lived in the old barrio he couldn't run anymore cause twice his house got cleaned out twice while he was running, you can't own anything of value in there. So then the move to the Zona and its nice but loud, very busy, expensive...... I think that hes happy to be their(DR) but deosn't care for the people very much.
It sounds like he needs a gated community, as other posters have suggested.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
He may just need a quieter area......

either in SD or some place like Juan Dolio.
He'll also need to have accomadations that have either 24/7 power via generator or inversors.
Getting out of the "inner" city into a more residential area would be beneficial or a smaller town like Juan Dolio where he can run without having to worry about his house being cleaned out would probably do the trick!
We spent several years getting our apt. in Juan Dolio "renovated" and outfitted to the comforts we were accustomed to in Canada and love the fact that JD is close enough to both SD and San Pedro to allow us to enjoy the "bigger city" supermarkets, movie theatres, etc. without actually having to live with the smog,heat, dust, noise etc.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
How about?

Splitting his time between the Dr and Canada? Six months of winter in the sun and back to Canada for the things he enjoyed and was active with for the other six months.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
irishdomician said:
Yes, he should think about moving to a quieter area and/or into a suburban place, probably gated community.

People here on DR1 seem to be negative towards gated communities, but they are not all that bad. For one thing, they are clean, beautiful, safe, some even have a worldclass golf course.

There are plenty of places across Santo Domingo where he can buy an apartment in a complex that has a planta full and power outages will be a thing of the past for him.

If the heat is a problem for him (after a while it begins to get to you), then central air conditioning would be a good thing to have.

Or, he should move to a slightly more affluent area, since these areas get better electric service and of course, having a handy planta or inversor just fills the gaps.

He needs to be around people that he can be comfortable with and the beautiful thing about this country is that we got all types of people, literally. All he has to do is search in the right places.

This country is not what it used to be, today anyone can create whatever lifestyle they want and can afford. If you want a lifestyle that is a minuature first world, it's readily available. If he wants a simpler life, that is available also. As he has probably noticed, our supermarkets are packed with items from all over the world, all types of technologies are available, all the comforts are available and anything else he could ever want is readily available. So, his lifestyle really depends on him and how much is he willing to spend.

If he spares no expense, then the sky is the limit.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
johne said:
Splitting his time between the Dr and Canada? Six months of winter in the sun and back to Canada for the things he enjoyed and was active with for the other six months.
That's a good idea, irishdominican, your father should think about this option.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Nal0whs said:
Yes, he should think about moving to a quieter area and/or into a suburban place, probably gated community.

People here on DR1 seem to be negative towards gated communities, but they are not all that bad. For one thing, they are clean, beautiful, safe, some even have a worldclass golf course.

There are plenty of places across Santo Domingo where he can buy an apartment in a complex that has a planta full and power outages will be a thing of the past for him.

If the heat is a problem for him (after a while it begins to get to you), then central air conditioning would be a good thing to have.

Or, he should move to a slightly more affluent area, since these areas get better electric service and of course, having a handy planta or inversor just fills the gaps.

He needs to be around people that he can be comfortable with and the beautiful thing about this country is that we got all types of people, literally. All he has to do is search in the right places.

This country is not what it used to be, today anyone can create whatever lifestyle they want and can afford. If you want a lifestyle that is a minuature first world, it's readily available. If he wants a simpler life, that is available also. As he has probably noticed, our supermarkets are packed with items from all over the world, all types of technologies are available, all the comforts are available and anything else he could ever want is readily available. So, his lifestyle really depends on him and how much is he willing to spend.

If he spares no expense, then the sky is the limit.
Sheesh, the guy was saying that he found the Zona Colonial expensive... How about reading what his story is and reacting to that instead of making like he can afford "Sky is the Limit".

Let me quote "Things just drive him crazy like when the power cuts out and when he lived in the old barrio he couldn't run anymore cause twice his house got cleaned out twice while he was running, you can't own anything of value in there. So then the move to the Zona and its nice but loud, very busy, expensive...... I think that hes happy to be their(DR) but deosn't care for the people very much."

What I find interesting is that a Dominican "doesn't care for the people very much". Can you say dysfunctional? Can you say uncivilized? Very similar to what I posted but the only difference is that "I like the people" and just acknowledge that they are dysfunctional and uncivilized. Again, there are loads of Dominicans that I love and respect but these people are the majority that we are speaking about and the ones that AZB and Robert speak about are just the privilaged few with the 92,000 US Dollar SUV's.

So how about them apples!:)

Escott

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Nal0whs said:
That's a good idea, irishdominican, your father should think about this option.

It has already been suggested but he never wants to come back here for more then a week or two.

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Escott said:
Sheesh, the guy was saying that he found the Zona Colonial expensive... How about reading what his story is and reacting to that instead of making like he can afford "Sky is the Limit".

Let me quote "Things just drive him crazy like when the power cuts out and when he lived in the old barrio he couldn't run anymore cause twice his house got cleaned out twice while he was running, you can't own anything of value in there. So then the move to the Zona and its nice but loud, very busy, expensive...... I think that hes happy to be their(DR) but deosn't care for the people very much."

What I find interesting is that a Dominican "doesn't care for the people very much". Can you say dysfunctional? Can you say uncivilized? Very similar to what I posted but the only difference is that "I like the people" and just acknowledge that they are dysfunctional and uncivilized. Again, there are loads of Dominicans that I love and respect but these people are the majority that we are speaking about and the ones that AZB and Robert speak about are just the privilaged few with the 92,000 US Dollar SUV's.

So how about them apples!:)

Escott

Good road apples. Okay I maybe I shouldn't have said he doesn't care for the people, you taking that as people in general, and me meaning the people he has met and been around so far. So all I'm saying is he knows Santo Domingo and thats it, there's probably a better place for him to be and I'm just asking peoples opinions. I didn't have any intention of insulting anyone!

Luperonsailor

May 1, 2005
Living and fereting out info

irishdomician:
Insults are in the ear of the listener. I live here now, for about 4 years and I have trouble finding general information, like, I need to find a source to buy H2O2-35% food grade hydrgen peroxide. They use it in processing cheese and as fertilizer. I was told to check with local chemical suppliers and cheese manufactures. The telephone book flusters me. Can any one give me a little help. Luperonsailor

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Tell Him To Move To Sosua!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a "walking around"kind of town! You can walk,or "run" almost everywhere.The "Foreigners meet for breakfast,coffee,drinks,etc.everyday.Very social and friendly group.And they welcome"Strangers"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC