Are Dominican Females Crazy?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Watch out for these swindlers
Dozens of women have been swindled out of their purses by Haitian "witch-doctors" who promise to bless the bags and change the owner's luck from rags to riches. This has happened all over Santo Domingo, according to the Listin Diario. Most of the complaints were filed at the Department of Monetary Crimes at the Prosecutors Office, at the National Police headquarters in Santo Domingo. A total of 1,556 complaints were filed in the first half of this year. Assistant prosecutors for the National District, assigned to the department, issued arrest warrants for several Haitians who are now in jail for swindling dozens of gullible women who had gone to their "spiritual centers" to obtain "charms and witchcraft" to ensure that their husbands remained faithful. In another case, a doctor from the wealthy Piantini district of Santo Domingo was swindled out of US$10,000 by a Brazilian woman who told him that his son, who is studying at the University of Salamanca in Spain, would be killed if he did not hand over the money. During the first half of the year, the assistant prosecutors assigned to Monetary Crimes arrested 701 persons for various acts of trickery, and 107 are currently in prison under preventive custody.
DR1 News

Why do they think that Haitians witch docs can cure their poverties when these voodoo docs cant even cure their own Haiti.

These women very much deserve to get ripped off.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Read the article once more and delete the word 'females' from the thread title. Gullibility and ignorance appears to cross the gender - and educational/class - divide, if we are to believe what it says. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It's a "Dominican" thing.

I have seen women in the countryside go ballistic because they found some crossed twigs outside their doorway. Convinced it was the "work" of a witch, one woman forced me to go get another "witch" to take the curse off....(Understand that by "force" I mean she, her husband and the entire family would abandon the farm if this was not done, and I needed them there.)

On another occasion, I was "asked" to hire a witch or shaman to do some "work" on about 70 acres of yuca that we had planted. The cost was infintesimal-a lot of what goes on in the countryside is not profit based.-and, while neighboring fields of yuca were seriously infested by the "flota" mine were not. Luck? Maybe.

HB :D:D:D

They probably (not gender specfic) get swindled the same way billions of dollars have been swindled from americans in the US by programs like The Psychic network or the mom and pop Psychic houses in every town. BAsically they are Witches.

People always want answers they could answer and solve themselves

You give a witch a fancy name, like Psychic, and then its legitimate and nobody says nothing.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I understand the mystical type pressure these people use...

Maybe a topic for a different thread, but are there gypsy (romany) people in DR making money in a similar fashion? 3 years ago right before I went to DR for 3 months I out of curiosity went to one of those $5 palm reading in Queens (the curiosity came from this girl with the most hypnotic blue/green/brown/gray eyes who was staring at me as I about to go on the subway called me over with her eyes).

Anyway, inside of this cramped apartment a huge gypsy lady read my palms and said I would be in dire trouble if she did not ?create? these 9 candles for me. I was about to fly out to DR and my job was ending so my life was in flux so I reluctantly gave her $60 I had on me (I never returned with the $30 I still ?owed? her).

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Our Haitian gardner in The Bahamas, after working for us for 12 years without a sick day, called in sick because he claimed someone put an 'obeah' or curse on him. The next day he was found dead and there was no apparent cause of death. Coroner ruled he died of 'natural causes.' He was about 40 years old.

I don't believe in that chit but that made me wonder.

Conchman said:
Our Haitian gardner in The Bahamas, after working for us for 12 years without a sick day, called in sick because he claimed someone put an 'obeah' or curse on him. The next day he was found dead and there was no apparent cause of death. Coroner ruled he died of 'natural causes.' He was about 40 years old.

I don't believe in that chit but that made me wonder.

Maybe the coroner is under the Bruja's payroll to give a natural causes report :nervous:

What are ways someone can be killed and it be reported as natural causes?
I'm pretty sure there are several ways.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
linamia said:
Yeah we Dominicanas are totally wackos we put spells on men who start post about our sanity :devious:

My sister-in-law is some kind of fortune teller in her area of Sosua. Each day she goes to a house with other fortune tellers type people and they read peoples tea leaves, palms, etc. She told me that she gets around 50 people a day! I don't know what she charges but she supports the whole family quite nicely. I think its very popular amoung the local masses.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
sancochojoe said:
They probably (not gender specfic) get swindled the same way billions of dollars have been swindled from americans in the US by programs like The Psychic network or the mom and pop Psychic houses in every town. BAsically they are Witches.

People always want answers they could answer and solve themselves

You give a witch a fancy name, like Psychic, and then its legitimate and nobody says nothing.

Finally a voice of reason.

I used to live with this chic in germany (born and raised in Bayreuth), and she would never made an important decision, without first consulting her spiritual counselor who happened to be a blond woman with clear eyes that read cards for a living. And all along I thought you had to be dark skinned or have african ancestry to be a witch. Foolishness is universal.

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We put spells on ourselves every day with our negative talk.
"I can't do that" "Don't spill the milk" "I'm so unhappy" etc.
Although it's different from what we've been taught, we can put a positive spin on all of our thoughts and what we say.
"I'm gonna make it happen" "Drink the milk" "Spending time with my friend makes me happy" etc.
That stuff about putting spells on people. Well, if you get talked bad to, give yourself the power to accept or reject the idea.
I know it's been in the culture of the DR and other places for a long time. We can have confidence in ourselves.
Didn't Yoda say something like "No try" "You either do or you don't" I do ...
mkohn
may the source be with you

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Joe is right. Those that think this stuff is unique to the DR are forgetting about Nancy Reagan and how she planned President Gipper's every move by first consulting a "psychic." LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Or how about all the US sports stars with their supersitutions?

Yeah, supersitution is in no way limited to the DR. But I admit I did see odd stuff while living there. For example, after her house was robbed, one middle class Dominican I know with an advanced degree from the US hired a psychic (she refused to call him that, said he was "a sensitive") to "cleanse" her home of "bad spirits" by spreading unnamed stuff around the house and giving her an aloe vera plant to "guard" the main doorway. :rolleyes: I couldn't believe it. When I asked her why, with her level of education, would she indulge in such stuff, she just responded, "well, it can't hurt." :tired:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
linamia said:
Yeah we Dominicanas are totally wackos we put spells on men who start post about our sanity :devious:
Yeah, gotta watch out for those dominicanas and their spells -- can be quite potent and impossible to shake off. ;) :cheeky:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
mkohn said:
We put spells on ourselves every day with our negative talk.
"I can't do that" "Don't spill the milk" "I'm so unhappy" etc.
Although it's different from what we've been taught, we can put a positive spin on all of our thoughts and what we say.
"I'm gonna make it happen" "Drink the milk" "Spending time with my friend makes me happy" etc.
Thank you Jose Silva. :)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
That's it!!

Keith R said:
and giving her an aloe vera plant to "guard" the main doorway.

Wow! Never thought I'd get the explination for it .... always wondered why someone would plant aloe at the entrance door to our apartments, as well as to the left side of our balcony. Interesting ....

Stay well,
Amy

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We're selling our house, someone suggested burying a statue of St. Joseph in the front yard.
Not gonna happen.
That aloe thing is interesting.
What about feng shui?
Anybody see any connection between that kind of stuff in the DR?
mkohn
Who is Jose Silva?
:)

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
linamia said:
Good thing that I don't believe in tha stuff.....Hey Lina, did I mention how beautiful I find thee?

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
mkohn said:
We're selling our house, someone suggested burying a statue of St. Joseph in the front yard.
Not gonna happen.
That aloe thing is interesting.
What about feng shui?
Anybody see any connection between that kind of stuff in the DR?
mkohn
Who is Jose Silva?
:)

Just remember the aloe plant has to be a gift from someone to you for it to bring luck. My wife keeps hoping that someone will gift her one.