First Timers

AliW

Jul 19, 2005
Arriving early August for 2 weeks holiday with husband and children (aged 4 and 8). Sure to have a ball, but typical worried mother and wondering if I should be packing something I haven't or thinking of rainjackets!

Staying in Puerta Plata Village in Playa Dorada. Read as much as I can on it and had some mixed reviews. Hey, its booked now, sure the rum with help the days go by.

Any snippets of info would be really useful. Sure it will be very different to the North East of England!!

Many Thanks
Ali

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Very light rainjackets may be good to have. Remember, it does not really get cold here when it rains. It remains warm.. A good sunscreen and hats for the kids would also be good.

AliW

Jul 19, 2005
Thanks Chris

Chris said:
Very light rainjackets may be good to have. Remember, it does not really get cold here when it rains. It remains warm.. A good sunscreen and hats for the kids would also be good.

Thanks, consider me off to the Metro Centre (local shopping mall) to get stocks of rain coats. Plenty suncream and hats already.

Really looking forward to it. Been to Thailand in rainy season and expecting similar weather climate, but good to hear from an expert.

Many Thanks
Ali

Dama Descarada

Sep 20, 2004
If you have extra space in your case...

This isn't a 'must pack' - but I always bring little toys and candy with me whenever I visit the DR...the kids love candy - what kids don't? (Most of the parents won't say no either ;) ) And I remember about 15 years ago my sister travelled down to POP with her family (my nephew would have been maybe 5 years old) and he ended up sharing most of his toy car collection with the little Dominicanos on the beach. The kids were delighted, and my nephew had some little friends to play with every day, which made my sister happy.

Aside from candy, I usually pick up some little cars, stickers, bubble blowers, small games, etc and give them to little kids I see on the beach, malecon, guagua, where ever. And I am sure you will be impressed with the behaviour of these little people - I have never seen such well behaved children in my life! Far cry from the little monsters I see here in Toronto!

I also bring something small but girlie for my maid - I always leave a cash tip, but I bring her perfume samples, nailpolish, just girlie things that sometimes they cannot afford to buy for themselves. And it is appreciated - you can tell by the looks on their faces.

Playa Dorada is a nice area (though I have never stayed at Puerto Plata Village), but be sure to get off the resort and see Puerto Plata as well as Sosua. Dominicans are very kind people, and very hospitable. Take the time to visit their shops (everyone wants you to 'looky looky'), especially if you enjoy art. I cherish the very beautiful oil paintings and sculptures that I purchased there last year.

I wish you a wonderful stay in the DR, I will be arriving on the 6th for a week, so we may run into each other!

Have a safe flight!
DD

AliW said:
Arriving early August for 2 weeks holiday with husband and children (aged 4 and 8). Sure to have a ball, but typical worried mother and wondering if I should be packing something I haven't or thinking of rainjackets!

Staying in Puerta Plata Village in Playa Dorada. Read as much as I can on it and had some mixed reviews. Hey, its booked now, sure the rum with help the days go by.

Any snippets of info would be really useful. Sure it will be very different to the North East of England!!

Many Thanks
Ali