Immigration Census

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
According to the news on the front page, the DR Government is going to do a census of all the foreigners living in the country so they can determine their statuses etc.

I have two observations:

(1) This is an excuse to round up the Haitianos without being accused of singling them out. A good friend of mine in the governments told me "we don't have an immigration problem, we have a Haitian problem".

(2) It will be a complete cluster like the one they conducted of the whole country 3 years ago. The people who conducted it did a lousy job. Oftentimes they were criticized because all they did was slap the sticker "Censada" on houses as they walked by. What will they do this time? Stand on a corner and ask everyone who walks by what their "status" is?

Comments welcome.

Scandall

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Scandall said:
According to the news on the front page, the DR Government is going to do a census of all the foreigners living in the country so they can determine their statuses etc.

I have two observations:

(1) This is an excuse to round up the Haitianos without being accused of singling them out. A good friend of mine in the governments told me "we don't have an immigration problem, we have a Haitian problem".

(2) It will be a complete cluster like the one they conducted of the whole country 3 years ago. The people who conducted it did a lousy job. Oftentimes they were criticized because all they did was slap the sticker "Censada" on houses as they walked by. What will they do this time? Stand on a corner and ask everyone who walks by what their "status" is?

Comments welcome.

Scandall

Hi Scandall! Two censuses ago, the two young ladies who knocked on our door to do the census had not been briefed on what questions to ask. They had a blank sheet of lined paper. After asking to borrow a pencil, the first question caused me to go into hysterics. "Do you have an ironing board?" This question formed the name of an (unpublished) book I wrote on strange and funny things that have happened to us in the DR! Canadian (still laughing) Bob....

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
And...

... if nobody?s home.. you might just return home and have the sticker on your door as counted...
That has happened to me. ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
canadian bob said:
Hi Scandall! Two censuses ago, the two young ladies who knocked on our door to do the census had not been briefed on what questions to ask. They had a blank sheet of lined paper. After asking to borrow a pencil, the first question caused me to go into hysterics. "Do you have an ironing board?" This question formed the name of an (unpublished) book I wrote on strange and funny things that have happened to us in the DR! Canadian (still laughing) Bob....

Please, pretty please, publish in a blog!!!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
canadian bob said:
Are you serious? Is it possible to "blog" by chapters, each being a separate event? Respectfully, Canadian Bob.

Of course you can... Look how others are doing, including myself..
I have a "Day-to-Day", and separate Stories that are stored and clickable so to speak by name of each story...

So Claro I am serious, and I think it can be the best of contribution to all of us, also for newbies looking for information the best possible is a piece of the reality... and most of the blogs provide that...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thre is little doubt that Scandall is right with his observations.

The story is that there is a growing feeling among Dominicans that the massive immigration of Haitians towards Dominican territory will eventually erace the Dominican national identity.
Now, to my -maybe out of date - way of thinking, I would like to know just what the Dominican National Identity is????

However, legislators like Peligrin Castillo and a few PRD people are quite serious about this issue, which is a concern because there are nearly as many Haitians as there are Dominicans, so they can't just "disappear" within a huge society.

The idea of "blending" the two countries, erasing the frontier, creating a new nation, while appealing to some non-Dominicans, could certainly contain the seeds of Serbian style "ethnic" cleansing. Hatillo Palma all over again.

Regarding the "other" foreigners living here, they can start at the different consulates where foreign nationals are registered. Then they can go to
DR1 and look at all the posts regarding residence papers--starting with CCCCCCC- and then to the beaches....

HB :D:D:D

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hillbilly said:
The story is that there is a growing feeling among Dominicans that the massive immigration of Haitians towards Dominican territory will eventually erace the Dominican national identity.
Now, to my -maybe out of date - way of thinking, I would like to know just what the Dominican National Identity is????

However, legislators like Peligrin Castillo and a few PRD people are quite serious about this issue, which is a concern because there are nearly as many Haitians as there are Dominicans, so they can't just "disappear" within a huge society.

The idea of "blending" the two countries, erasing the frontier, creating a new nation, while appealing to some non-Dominicans, could certainly contain the seeds of Serbian style "ethnic" cleansing. Hatillo Palma all over again.

Regarding the "other" foreigners living here, they can start at the different consulates where foreign nationals are registered. Then they can go to
DR1 and look at all the posts regarding residence papers--starting with CCCCCCC- and then to the beaches....

HB :D:D:D

LOL.. you are so right in my opinion... and then after having been at all your places that you suggested, they can in each city, go to places like Sams in POP, Rockys in SOsua etc etc and continue to register...
Heck Joanne at Sams or Marco at Rockys could do this faster for them!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
carina said:
LOL.. you are so right in my opinion... and then after having been at all your places that you suggested, they can in each city, go to places like Sams in POP, Rockys in SOsua etc etc and continue to register...
Heck Joanne at Sams or Marco at Rockys could do this faster for them!

They won't get that far. The effort to track foreigners other than Haitians will be minimal. I was talking to someone at work this morning (Government) and he suggested that this census would be "going to construction sites and rounding up Haitians". Rocky's will be safe. They don't want to put off the tourists or expats who live here and spend money.

Scandall

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Scandall said:
They won't get that far. The effort to track foreigners other than Haitians will be minimal. I was talking to someone at work this morning (Government) and he suggested that this census would be "going to construction sites and rounding up Haitians". Rocky's will be safe. They don't want to put off the tourists or expats who live here and spend money.

Scandall

I know that... Just joke, as the census would be more complete this way... People like Marco or Joanne knows more of the foreigners on the Northcoast for example, that any census person ever would.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
carina said:
I know that... Just joke, as the census would be more complete this way... People like Marco or Joanne knows more of the foreigners on the Northcoast for example, that any census person ever would.

I know you were joking...and you're probably right. We should make sure that Marco and the boys at Playa Vista don't start selling us out!

Scandall

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Scandall said:
I know you were joking...and you're probably right. We should make sure that Marco and the boys at Playa Vista don't start selling us out!

Scandall

LOL... They are too good for that!!
What would they be and what would they do without us???? ;)