Getting married in Sousa

J

J.Pavich

Could someone please help me with what is required for Canadian citizens to get married in the Dominican Republic.

H

Helen

You need:1)Original Birth Certificates 2)Valid Passports 3)Solemn Declaration of Single status 4)2 witnesses (with proper ids-as mentioned) Note:Doc #3 must be in spanish & certified by an official. Your best bet would be to obtain that doc at the cdn consulate located in puerto plata on san felipe no 29 (2 blks from central park).they are open from 8:30-12:30pm m-f and each letter costs 600 pesos. If you get married in a resort,i.e. hotel, you just need all the mentioned documentation & the arrangements can be made by the hotel for the justice of the peace. However, if you want to get married outside of the "hotel" pkg environment, you'd have to attend a justice of the peace office for an appointment. Dont do it in puerto plata cos it's a long wait, try sosua or imbert. Hope this info helps. I just got married in August so all details are still fresh in my mind. Good luck & if you require more info, email me.

D

DR One

Choose a hotel that regularly carries out weddings for tourists because they will make things easy for you. The hotel will arrange for the judge of peace to visit the hotel to perform the marriage. They may require that you submit photocopies of the following items in advance, but when you come they will require the originals to present these to the judge so she can prepare the marriage license paperwork. These are:

I. Marriage license requirements: Valid Passport Original birth certificate Single status affidavit translated by an official translator into Spanish Divorce certificate translated into Spanish by an official translator (The affidavit and divorce certificate should be translated into Spanish by an official translator at the Dominican consulate nearest your residence.)

You will also need two witnesses. If these are foreigners, they will need to have passports as identification. If they are Dominicans, "cedulas" are sufficient.

II. After the marriage: You will be handed a supporting document that the wedding took place. You need to request a marriage certificate from the corresponding Oficial?a (justice of peace). This document is a valid marriage certificate.

A

arcoiris

Re: for a civil wedding

J. Pavich may want a Catholic wedding such as described above in response to Laura's post, so I suggest that Laura check this thread if she is not Catholic, and that J. check Laura's thread if a Catholic wedding is desired.