Best Rum in the DR: Brugal, Barcelo or Bermudez?

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
Not having traveled yet to the DR and therefore not yet having had the opportunity to sample the country's rum choices, I am curious to know which brand is generally recognized as the DR's best rum. There appears to be 3 major brands in contention: Brugal, Barcelo and Bermudez. I've noticed that the vast majority of mentions on DR1 seem to be about Brugal.

Is one of the 3 generally thought to be the premium brand? Does one have more prestige or cachet associated with it? Which one would be better received as a gift by someone in the DR?

Also within each brand what designation conveys the highest quality rum: anejo? extra viejo? gran reserva? or something else?

Thanks in advance to the rum experts for clarifying the ron landscape.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
All these brands have premium brands that are more expensive than others that they sell.

I have just switched to Siboney Red Lable Rum. Badpiece walked into my place with a bottle one time and I never looked back to the Anniversario I use to drink. 200 Pesos a bottle and I drink it on the rocks. Nicer in my opinion than the Brugal Espescial, Bermudez Anniversario and the Barcelo Imperial.

Escott

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Siboney Rojo is definitely the best DR rum to drink on the rocks, but a not too distant second (maybe even first) is Barcel? Gran A?ejo (popular called 'el cuatro filos').

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Although we serve...

Barcelo Imperial as our premium "sippin'" rum in our hotel's restaurant in Las Galeras, I'll try a bottle of Siboney Red Label if I can find it. I've never seen it on the shelves in Samana.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will try some this week

The HB is not a drinkin' man but has been known to sip some demon rum from time to time. A resolute BArcel? Imperial drinker (on the rocks of course) I have become worried as to their continued quality control given the sale of the company.

I , too, shall try the Siboney Red Lable.
And report back as to whether Escott has hit gold...

HB :D:D:D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It is 200 peso gold! Doesn't have that chemical taste of Imperial and it is smoother than Anniversario. This comes from a long time scotch drinker for what it is worth.

Escott

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Have to agree. Siboney is my favourite too since the last two years or so.
The red label, at least here in Puerto Plata, was first a "christmas special", now it is available all year around at any supermercado here at least.
Small bottle around 100, big around 200.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
A friend and ex neighbor of mine, who works with Barcel?, once told me that Imperial is not 100% pure rum, that they add muscatel wine to it, to give it the 'smooth' flavor.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I like the Brugal Extra Viego... if you want something to mix Cuba libre's with just use 'Brugal Anejo'..

I've tried Barcelo Imperial and Bermudez and found them to be too sharp for my taste..

Although for a real quality drink there is always XO cognac...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I've noticed that the vast majority of mentions on DR1 seem to be about Brugal.

Is one of the 3 generally thought to be the premium brand? Does one have more prestige or cachet associated with it? Which one would be better received as a gift by someone in the DR?

Also within each brand what designation conveys the highest quality rum: anejo? extra viejo? gran reserva? or something else?

Thanks in advance to the rum experts for clarifying the ron landscape.[/QUOTE]
In the Upscale spots in Santiago & The Capital, Dominicans are drinking Johnnie Walker (Black)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It is a waste to mix anything better than Barcelo Extra Viejo for a Cuba Libre.
Better Rons should be neat or with a rock.

May 12, 2005
Sorry, that was i what i meant, extra viejo. I have 3 bottles sitting on my kitchen counter. mucho delicioso.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
off topic

Escott said:
That rot gut will do nothing but melt your brain. Horrible stuff you should only use as paint thinner. HEadache city!
I heard that Cuban Rum is pretty good, where can I find a bottle? Of course without violating the Office of Foreign Assets Control(OFAC) regarding travel to Cuba ;)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Plaza Lama (Santo Domingo) sells 120 proof Havana Club. However they don't sell fresh spearmint (yerbabuena) to make the inimitable 'mojito' coctail.