getting there from Aus

dancebaby

Jul 6, 2004
what the .....!!!! I just checked the 'cheap' fares from Melbourne to DR

cost: $3,100+
time: 38 hours

hmm not really a smart choice for a 'short break'.??!!

What would you do?

1. do whatever it takes to just get there ASAP for any amount of time, with a view to going again ASAP

2. wait till I have a lot of time and money and make a big trip of it?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
G'day, mate. Not many Aussies here.

We do have great piss here, so it is a great place to vacation.
Now, if I was you, which I ain't, I'd wait a bit and make a do of it so's you can really get the hang of the place..

I think the only other Aussie I ever met happened to be a wanted man by Interpol or something.....:p:p:p

HB :D:D

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
dancebaby said:

Try Air Tahiti Nui - SYD to Papeete to JFK , then AA JFK to SDQ. Sample:

SYD 08/20/05 09:15AM PPT 08/20/05 08:15PM 7h 00m 3816 miles
PPT 08/19/05 09:15PM JFK 08/19/05 03:15PM 12h 00m 6290 miles

Then AA at 4:25 p.m. or CO from Newark at 8:00 p.m. ANother three hours plus the connection.

I presume it leaves PPT before it leaves SYD due to the international date line in Tahiti. Get a travel agent to look vs. online.

The cheapest R/T to JFK is US$2260 so it is not that cheap. Add another $400 or so to SDQ.

Isn't Thailand a lot easier?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
dancebaby said:

hmm not really a smart choice for a 'short break'.??!!

What would you do?

1. do whatever it takes to just get there ASAP for any amount of time, with a view to going again ASAP

2. wait till I have a lot of time and money and make a big trip of it?
Continental flies from Cairns (not sure if that's close to Melbourne) to Santo Domingo for about US$2000. Another alternative would be to book separate tickets. For example, a Quantas/AA ticket to Newark, NJ for about US$1000, then fly from Newark,NJ to the Dominican Republic on another airline for $300-$500 (depending on season).

Unfortunately, no matter how you do it, it's going to take 40+ hours.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Obviously you want the most direct route...but this place is well worth a visit!
I have travelled twice from Toronto to Sydney via Honolulu...dont know if this would make any sense but its only another 3.5hours from TO...and truthfully, whats another few hours when you're halfway to paradise!!!

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
If you live in AUS, you don't have to come to Dominican Rep to see palms and beaches, you've got Tahiti very close, and Tahiti is much better!

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
aviastar said:
If you live in AUS, you don't have to come to Dominican Rep to see palms and beaches, you've got Tahiti very close, and Tahiti is much better!

why not many people travel around the earth to get to another point of city. ;)

dancebaby

Jul 6, 2004
why go all that way?

Isn't Thailand a lot easier?

well yes - and thats my problem - I always seem to want that which is most difficult to achieve!

I am a real 'dancebaby' - born to dance, but born on the wrong side of the world.

I told a friend recently that I want to go to DR and she said 'WHAT? Havent you seen enough of that stuff? Dont you want to go somewhere different? see and do something different?"

Well I recently went trekking in the Himalaya - something I had not dreamed of but I was invited to join a group and thought 'never say no to an opportunity' plus I wanted to spend time with that group. But at the end, part of me thought 'why did I do that when what I really want is to get back to the caribbean and now Ive just used up cash and time on something else"

I went to Cuba for the music and carnival, Trini & Tobago for the steel pan & carnival, and Jamaica for Sunsplash. We have better beaches here than I saw in any of those places, but we aint got the BOMBA!!

jcrue20

May 3, 2004
syd to dr

syd - bkk
bkk - fra
fra - puj or pop
puj or pop = dr

you have to break the codes. LOL

from SYDNEY you need to fly to BANGKOK in which you can take via Qantas. from BANGKOK take a plane to FRANKFURT via Condor or any other airlines. Just take Condor for Miles and More. and then from FRANKFURT take another Condor flights to PUNTA CANA or PUERTO PLATA or La ROMANA. In either way you are now in Dominican Republic, a country in which PLATANOS ROCKS!

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
jcrue20 said:
syd - bkk
bkk - fra
fra - puj or pop
puj or pop = dr

you have to break the codes. LOL

from SYDNEY you need to fly to BANGKOK in which you can take via Qantas. from BANGKOK take a plane to FRANKFURT via Condor or any other airlines. Just take Condor for Miles and More. and then from FRANKFURT take another Condor flights to PUNTA CANA or PUERTO PLATA or La ROMANA. In either way you are now in Dominican Republic, a country in which PLATANOS ROCKS!

she could go with this routr Sydney-Los angeles with quantas then from Los angeles to san juan with american airlines and then SJU-SDQ with american airlines, this two carrier belong to one world.

dancebaby

Jul 6, 2004
holy cow, if I didnt already know it this is really bringing home the fact that the caribbean REALLY IS the other side of the world from where I live

thanks for the info guys :classic:

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
dancebaby said:
holy cow, if I didnt already know it this is really bringing home the fact that the caribbean REALLY IS the other side of the world from where I live

thanks for the info guys :classic:

I just got back to Manila from Puerto Plata. I'm on temporary assignment here and have friends in the DR, otherwise I wouldn't have even considered the trip. Since we are about as far away from the DR as one can get, it is about the same if you fly via N. America or Europe. I flew through Frankfurt because it was only 1 stop, N. America would have been at least 2. Going there was a great connection, but on the way back I had a 15 hr. layover, but used the time to go shopping in Frankfurt.