Real Puerto Plata Clubs/Lounges/Discos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
Wanted to know the good nights preferably Friday and/or Sunday to hit a club/lounge/disco in Puerto Plata. They have to be Non-Hooker Discos, Non-Tourist Clubs! Me and my friends are 25 and under and a friend of mine in Santiago told me that Hemingways is good on Fridays but I just wanted to see if there anymore options where people 18-25 who are young and hip like myself go to in Puerto Plata... Thanks for any info you may bestow upon me!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
R.Dennis said:
Wanted to know the good nights preferably Friday and/or Sunday to hit a club/lounge/disco in Puerto Plata. They have to be Non-Hooker Discos, Non-Tourist Clubs! Me and my friends are 25 and under and a friend of mine in Santiago told me that Hemingways is good on Fridays but I just wanted to see if there anymore options where people 18-25 who are young and hip like myself go to in Puerto Plata... Thanks for any info you may bestow upon me!
I don't know the names of non hooker, non tourist discos in POP, but I'm quite sure that Hemingways is full of tourists.
There are a lot of DR1 members who live in POP and will surely be able to give you the scoop.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I don't really pay attention to where the Ho's are but I like Orion or Barrica (they're dark and fun !)

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
Cool...

la_barbie said:
I don't really pay attention to where the Ho's are but I like Orion or Barrica (they're dark and fun !)

Ok cool, which one should I check out next friday and sunday night?

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
The Kid has... Major Rhythm!

MerengueDutchie said:
They are both good places imo to go dancing.. if you can dance!

Ha... that's no problem I've been dancing at all types of clubs New York, Los Angeles, San Fran, Atlanta, Miami, Vegas and countless places in Mexico, Central and South America mainly I dance to Trance, Deep House, House, Techno, Hip-Hop, R&B, Reggaeton, Salsa, Merengue and Neo-Soul so I know the biz and I'm versatile! I just like good music, ambience and fine women to choose from at the club!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
In Pop??????

R.Dennis said:
Ha... that's no problem I've been dancing at all types of clubs New York, Los Angeles, San Fran, Atlanta, Miami, Vegas and countless places in Mexico, Central and South America mainly I dance to Trance, Deep House, House, Techno, Hip-Hop, R&B, Reggaeton, Salsa, Merengue and Neo-Soul so I know the biz and I'm versatile! I just like good music, ambience and fine women to choose from at the club!

..........you're in the wrong place.! :eek:

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004

POP Bad Boy said:
..........you're in the wrong place.! :eek:

I know nothing will compare to the places I mentioned as far as variety of clubs, I just want a cool spot to check out in Puerto Plata where the young, fashionable and hip (like myself) socialites of Puerto Plata party and chill on Friday and Sunday...

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
on the right track but

R.Dennis said:

Apart from Merengue, you'll have to add bachata.. the ladies that do dance salsa are very limited in ability imo ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
R.Dennis said:
I know nothing will compare to the places I mentioned as far as variety of clubs, I just want a cool spot to check out in Puerto Plata where the young, fashionable and hip (like myself) socialites of Puerto Plata party and chill on Friday and Sunday...
If you want "socialites", you should head to Santiago or the Capital.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
POP Clubs

Okay, here we go again.

TO the OP, if you want non tourist, no hookers etc. there is absolutely nothing.... you will find them everywhere.

BUT, for what you are looking for, my impression of your question:

Orion: in puerto plata, only open sat and sun. Almost exclusively merengue, bachatta and salsa with just a little reggaeton thrown in. You will see more upscale people here, few tourists.

La Barrica: in POP, full of hookers, dark because that is where skanke people go with people they are not supposed to be seen with. That being said, yes, some people go there cause they like it. Almost all latin music like Orion.Mix of people, few tourists.

Rancho Tipico: not upscale, mostly the same music as Orion but more merengue tipico and a little more reggaeton. Lots of ladies of the night.....

La Canita: definately not upscale, same music, some reggaeton,lots of ladies of the night and a few tourists.

Mangu: the place to go to currently in Playa Dorada (Jack Tar Village), full of tourists, hookers and sankies! Lots of other music, rap, crappy rap, hip hop, reggaeton, some latin but not a lot of it, depends somewhat on the crowd and the DJ.

Hemingways: Playa Dorada plaza lots of tourists, some ladies of the night and sankies. Music is similar to Mangu. Not a great place to dance as it is almost more restaurant but there is a dance floor. Can be a great time depending on the mix of people...

Roadway: same mix of people as the other two in Playa Dorada. Same music, smaller club almost no dance floor. Nice to sit outside though...

Any given time you will see the "Upper echelon" of POP society at any club in Playa Dorada. Sorry, I use that phrase to describe them for lack of any other term!!!

This place needs a really good club that is responsive to the needs of the crowd! Most tourist related clubs play whatever the DJ seems to want to hear.... My pet peeve of the day.

Dance: you will find lots of people who dance merengue, bachatta but not many who dance salsa well here. AND, depending where you learned salsa, they dance it much differently here then what you are used to.

Let me know if you want to know more..... I am out dancing several times a week here.

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
Santiago is cool

rellosk said:
If you want "socialites", you should head to Santiago or the Capital.

Yeah I was thinking about going to Santiago Friday night, buutt I think I'm going to hold off, I partied there last year at Francifol and The Gran Almirante and other good spot I forgot the name of when I visited and know a ton of ladies there in school and who are working professionals with jobs there.

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
Oh? Now I'm a OP...lol

planner said:
Okay, here we go again.

TO the OP, if you want non tourist, no hookers etc. there is absolutely nothing.... you will find them everywhere.

BUT, for what you are looking for, my impression of your question:

Orion: in puerto plata, only open sat and sun. Almost exclusively merengue, bachatta and salsa with just a little reggaeton thrown in. You will see more upscale people here, few tourists.

La Barrica: in POP, full of hookers, dark because that is where skanke people go with people they are not supposed to be seen with. That being said, yes, some people go there cause they like it. Almost all latin music like Orion.Mix of people, few tourists.

Rancho Tipico: not upscale, mostly the same music as Orion but more merengue tipico and a little more reggaeton. Lots of ladies of the night.....

La Canita: definately not upscale, same music, some reggaeton,lots of ladies of the night and a few tourists.

Mangu: the place to go to currently in Playa Dorada (Jack Tar Village), full of tourists, hookers and sankies! Lots of other music, rap, crappy rap, hip hop, reggaeton, some latin but not a lot of it, depends somewhat on the crowd and the DJ.

Hemingways: Playa Dorada plaza lots of tourists, some ladies of the night and sankies. Music is similar to Mangu. Not a great place to dance as it is almost more restaurant but there is a dance floor. Can be a great time depending on the mix of people...

Roadway: same mix of people as the other two in Playa Dorada. Same music, smaller club almost no dance floor. Nice to sit outside though...

Any given time you will see the "Upper echelon" of POP society at any club in Playa Dorada. Sorry, I use that phrase to describe them for lack of any other term!!!

This place needs a really good club that is responsive to the needs of the crowd! Most tourist related clubs play whatever the DJ seems to want to hear.... My pet peeve of the day.

Dance: you will find lots of people who dance merengue, bachatta but not many who dance salsa well here. AND, depending where you learned salsa, they dance it much differently here then what you are used to.

Let me know if you want to know more..... I am out dancing several times a week here.

Thanks for the info but why do I have to be a OP? Sounds like Orion is the place for me, See you next Sunday since they are not open on Friday...What's the definite HOT SPOTS for Friday Nights in POP?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Laughing out loud...

OP = Original Poster....LOL

Sunday at Orion is good. Friday: the hot spot is probably Mangu at Playa Dorada......

But you could start at Mountainview, forgot to post that one. That is a local spot, full of ladies etc.... BUT on friday it is supposedly salsa night. Sometimes we get a few from Santiago who will do a bit of a show. In my opinion not hte greatest dancing but interesting... I've not been in a while. So, you can start there and head to mangu about 1 in the morning...

Tonight we are off to eat chinese food, then to La Canita (some tourists want to experience it) then off to Mangu about 1 in the morning......

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Planner, great posting outlining the various clubs.

R.Dennis, Planner referred to you as the OP, because for this thread you are the OP (Original Poster).

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
haha, I got a good laugh at myself...

planner said:
OP = Original Poster....LOL

Sunday at Orion is good. Friday: the hot spot is probably Mangu at Playa Dorada......

But you could start at Mountainview, forgot to post that one. That is a local spot, full of ladies etc.... BUT on friday it is supposedly salsa night. Sometimes we get a few from Santiago who will do a bit of a show. In my opinion not hte greatest dancing but interesting... I've not been in a while. So, you can start there and head to mangu about 1 in the morning...

Tonight we are off to eat chinese food, then to La Canita (some tourists want to experience it) then off to Mangu about 1 in the morning......

Thanks Planner you set it out for me... I thought it was the Op in negative sense, because you know how some of these Dr1ers get snappy all the time!..lol. thanks for the information though! I will hit Mountanview then Mangu on Friday as outlined and Orion on Sunday if all goes to plan! Directions from the Cabarete/Sosua region to both clubs and dress code por favor?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
No problem OP.....LOL I am never snappy or nasty.... unless of course you piss me off....LOL

Okay, Friday night, mountainview. Do not arrive before 11pm.... dress: no shorts or sandals.Other then that anything goes. If you were female I would tell you no Jeans with a red top or you will look like the waitresses....LOL It is anything from very very casual to nicely dressed.

Sunday: Orion, again not before 11. Dress a little nicer. You will find everything here but just a little better dressed.... Here you can dress up more and still fit right in but casual works too.

Directions: hmmmmmm that is much harder to do! Iwill have to consult street names and get back to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.