AMET in full swing. (warning)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok boys and girls, get your act straight. The dominican republic Traffic police (AMET) is all over santiago and I am sure in other bigger cities too, giving away tickets to anyone with any sort of violation. I see them all over street corners picking up motorcycles and scooters from owners who are not seen wearing a protective helmet. They are stopping trucks and checking out the cargo and giving out tickets and even impounding vehicles. Starting Aug. 3rd, if you don't have "placa" or "revista" sticker renewed on your car, you will be ticketed and may have the car towed. Wear your seat belt and please don't even think about driving and talking on cell phone unless you are buddy buddy with AMET supervisor or drinking buddy of a coronal. AMET is not afraid to stop even the luxurios SUVs and give out a ticket. They simply don't care who is who. I was given a ticket a few months back. When I was stopped for going through a red light, I mentioned that I knew his boss well. His response: "I am sure my boss will help you get your license back....just give him a call later....". I got a ticket and my license was taken away from me at the spot. So guys, be careful and open up all 4 eyes when you enter santiago and santo domingo. Get your revista and Placa renewed and get on the right side of the law.
AZB

P.S I have seen people have been taken off from the back of a pickup truck and driver was given a ticket. It seems like AMET doesn't allow 50 people sitting and hanging from the back of a pickup truck anymore. Yesterday I saw a pick-up truck being stopped for carrying small trees in the back. He was given ticket for taking stuff which could possible fall off and cause traffic disturbance.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
AZB said:
Ok boys and girls, get your act straight. The dominican republic Traffic police (AMET) is all over santiago and I am sure in other bigger cities too, giving away tickets to anyone with any sort of violation. I see them all over street corners picking up motorcycles and scooters from owners who are not seen wearing a protective helmet. They are stopping trucks and checking out the cargo and giving out tickets and even impounding vehicles. Starting Aug. 3rd, if you don't have "placa" or "revista" sticker renewed on your car, you will be ticketed and may have the car towed. Wear your seat belt and please don't even think about driving and talking on cell phone unless you are buddy buddy with AMET supervisor or drinking buddy of a coronal. AMET is not afraid to stop even the luxurios SUVs and give out a ticket. They simply don't care who is who. I was given a ticket a few months back. When I was stopped for going through a red light, I mentioned that I knew his boss well. His response: "I am sure my boss will help you get your license back....just give him a call later....". I got a ticket and my license was taken away from me at the spot. So guys, be careful and open up all 4 eyes when you enter santiago and santo domingo. Get your revista and Placa renewed and get on the right side of the law.
AZB

P.S I have seen people have been taken off from the back of a pickup truck and driver was given a ticket. It seems like AMET doesn't allow 50 people sitting and hanging from the back of a pickup truck anymore. Yesterday I saw a pick-up truck being stopped for carrying small trees in the back. He was given ticket for taking stuff which could possible fall off and cause traffic disturbance.
Sh*t and I thought the cops here in Montreal were bad.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
AZB, thanks for the warning. What happens once they take you license away? Presumably they don't let you drive (even to the police station to pay the ticket). Do they impound your car?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
hooray!!

Congratulations to AMET for enforcing the law. I only wish they did this every day.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
AZB, thanks for the warning. What happens once they take you license away? Presumably they don't let you drive (even to the police station to pay the ticket). Do they impound your car?
They issue you a ticket and take your license. You are permitted to drive away since they know you have a license (in their possession). When you go to their station with the receipt for payment of the ticket, you get your license back. They tell you if you are stopped by another police in the interim, show him the unpaid ticket and they will know your license is being held.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
mondongo said:
Congratulations to AMET for enforcing the law. I only wish they did this every day.
What differance does it make to you? You don't even live here. Go congratulate your own cops for enforcing the law in your own home town. We were doing very well without the strict laws.
AZB

Helson

Mar 10, 2004
hmm

As long as they don't pull you over for drinking Presidente and/or Bohemia, no problem !!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Make A Photocopy Of Your License To Give them.

Or your old Expired license if you have it.Tell them you original is in your house.Then you just forget about it!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
mondongo said:
We don't need no civilized people here. Before you know it we will have NO DRINKING AND DRIVING in the DR. God forbid!

Do not argue with AZB here!

BTW: Amet and the Army have been out in force in Sosua. Military road block leaving Sosua to Cabarete yesterday searching every vehicle with the exception of white gringos like me. Me they wave through as soon as I open my window and ask "Que Paso?" Glad me no lookie like AZBie. Me white man.
They stop all high class Dominicans in big SUV's. These guys were locked and loaded.

Escott

PS> me use photocopy of everything here. They look disapointed when I say I have nothing else with me. I pay ticket, cheaper than making another laminated full color copy of license!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Pop

It is the same here in Puerto Plata! They were everywhere yesterday and again this morning.

I carry a copy of my license and tell them the original is in my lawyers safe with my passport!! That works.....

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
planner said:
It is the same here in Puerto Plata! They were everywhere yesterday and again this morning.

I carry a copy of my license and tell them the original is in my lawyers safe with my passport!! That works.....

i will be driving in santiago tomorrow... arriving at STI airport..
and have american license... so i should make photocopy of my license, right
they can take american license too?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Criss Colon said:
Or your old Expired license if you have it.Tell them you original is in your house.Then you just forget about it!

Bingo. My license expired a few months ago and I renewed it through the internet. Thus, I was able to keep the old one. If I am ever asked for ID by these pigs guess which one they will get?

Also, CCCCCC is right and it's typical for people to make a photocopy of their ID's to carry with them and leave the originals at home. The cops here don't think twice about it.

Scandall

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Criss Colon said:
That's what I've done in the past. They never seem to look at the expiration date. Of course I've never been stopped by AMET, only the other branch (the ones in the gray uniforms) who were only looking for a bribe.

Wonderdog

Apr 25, 2005
AZB said:
Ok boys and girls, get your act straight. The dominican republic Traffic police (AMET) is all over santiago and I am sure in other bigger cities too, giving away tickets to anyone with any sort of violation. I see them all over street corners picking up motorcycles and scooters from owners who are not seen wearing a protective helmet. They are stopping trucks and checking out the cargo and giving out tickets and even impounding vehicles. Starting Aug. 3rd, if you don't have "placa" or "revista" sticker renewed on your car, you will be ticketed and may have the car towed. Wear your seat belt and please don't even think about driving and talking on cell phone unless you are buddy buddy with AMET supervisor or drinking buddy of a coronal. AMET is not afraid to stop even the luxurios SUVs and give out a ticket. They simply don't care who is who. I was given a ticket a few months back. When I was stopped for going through a red light, I mentioned that I knew his boss well. His response: "I am sure my boss will help you get your license back....just give him a call later....". I got a ticket and my license was taken away from me at the spot. So guys, be careful and open up all 4 eyes when you enter santiago and santo domingo. Get your revista and Placa renewed and get on the right side of the law...

Ahhh the sweet smell of limited, unintrusive government! In no time the DR will be just as free as the US.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Escott said:
Military road block leaving Sosua to Cabarete yesterday searching every vehicle with the exception of white gringos like me. Me they wave through as soon as I open my window and ask "Que Paso?" Glad me no lookie like AZBie. Me white man.
!
Good for you scott, just stay in sosua and the north coast where the poor domincians worship the white gringos, however, don't try your gringo stuff here. You will be surprised to see your white skins will not get you too far. Everyone gets checked here unless you are well known (ex: AZB).
Hehehehehe.
AZB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
AZB said:
Good for you scott, just stay in sosua and the north coast where the poor domincians worship the white gringos, however, don't try your gringo stuff here. You will be surprised to see your white skins will not get you too far. Everyone gets checked here unless you are well known (ex: AZB).
Hehehehehe.
AZB
Well my opening up the window and saying "Que Paso" worked in Santiago. Ask Dawn because that happened one time when we were looking at Foundry's there and headed back to your house.

My white gringo arse works better than black Paki Arse everytime! Me no need to know anyone! No connections, Nada! HEH...