To Be or Not To Be (permanent resident)

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
My step daughter flew last March with her little manila colored envelope containing the necessary papers to obtain permanent status. In her passport, INS officials placed a temporary green card and a month later, she received her card. Her father has been nagging her mom abouth the babies traveling, he claims that if she doesn?t travel in the near future, she will loose her status.

Her mom is terrified of him because prior to the divorce, he threaten to not allow her daughter to return to DR. The cort cited with the mom in the divorce and granted her custody. Does anyone know what her rights are? will her 4yr lose her greencard?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Kaizen68 said:
My step daughter flew last March with her little manila colored envelope containing the necessary papers to obtain permanent status. In her passport, INS officials placed a temporary green card and a month later, she received her card. Her father has been nagging her mom abouth the babies traveling, he claims that if she doesn?t travel in the near future, she will loose her status.

Her mom is terrified of him because prior to the divorce, he threaten to not allow her daughter to return to DR. The cort cited with the mom in the divorce and granted her custody. Does anyone know what her rights are? will her 4yr lose her greencard?

I would think if the court awarded the mom custody, she does not need the permission of the father for the child to travel. She does need to travel with the court papers certifying this custody. She does need to travel to maintain the status of her greencard.

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
I'm not an expert on the US, but....

if a Dominican is granted a visa to travel to Canada to become a resident, they MUST travel within a year of the date the visa was issued or the visa expires worthless. This applies equally to children and adults. There may be similar stipulations on US visas... check the government immigration webpage.

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
You have to live in the US

Once you are granted the permanent residency you have to travel to the US within the first 6 months or you will loose the residency, on top of that you have to live in the US por a period of over 6 months a year to not to loose your residency.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Kaizen68 said:

I think you can request an extension from INS to allow her to stay in the DR longer, but I think there has to be a good reason (ie..college, family sickness etc..). My wife did this when she came to the US but needed to go back to DR for college...