Dominican time.....

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
Im not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, so sorry if its not but..... I'm looking for a job in puerto plata from the end of october for 3-6 months (2005) I'm learning spanish but not yet fluent. I have a lot of dancing experience and experience with children. If anyone knows of ne where or anything, it would be a great help. I have emailed some local schools about teaching english but its seems that they like the term 'dominican time' and so i am yet to hear back from them, and am hoping to sort something asap so i can arrange accommodation (possibly with larry, but obviously need to let him know so he can keep it free!!) and flights etc. thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
From your posts I would hope that your decision to move to the DR isn't based on one vacation in a resort in Luperon and you have not seen or experienced life outside the resort.

There's so much to learn so please do a lot of searching.

Jobs are not easy to come by. Yes everyone says, it's not the money, but how will you live and eat and pay your rent?

Are you bringing enough money to support yourself for a few months until you find a job? Do you have any idea what the average jobs pays? Could you live on that?

If you don't get residency which is around 1500 US you will be working illegally. These are things that people need to know before moving.

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005

Anna Coniglio said:
From your posts I would hope that your decision to move to the DR isn't based on one vacation in a resort in Luperon and you have not seen or experienced life outside the resort.

There's so much to learn so please do a lot of searching.

Jobs are not easy to come by. Yes everyone says, it's not the money, but how will you live and eat and pay your rent?

Are you bringing enough money to support yourself for a few months until you find a job? Do you have any idea what the average jobs pays? Could you live on that?

If you don't get residency which is around 1500 US you will be working illegally. These are things that people need to know before moving.

Hi, yeah thanx, i will be bringing enough money to live on, im looking for the job for the experience and as i want to get more involved with life over there. No im not just basing it on one trip to Luperon, i have been before, and i know it wont be like a holiday, im not expecting or looking for that. I'm very aware of what the jobs pay and i know it will not be as much as what i would get over here. I wont be staying longer than 6 months, so its not like i will be setting up to live over there for life.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi,
Depending on where you?re moving on the island.. Private schools, like Carol Morgan etc will offer employment only to teachers with degree.
Others, like some of the schools here in POP, will hire anyway if you have documented experience, and a residency, and live here.
Never for short term.
Don?t expect to get replies by email though, it won?t happen.
Most schools have hired for the vacancies they might have had for September though already.
A teachers salary, if you don?t have a degree, and work in a private school, like Alic in POP for example, is around 5000- 8000 pesos a month.
Public, local schools would not hire you, and you would never work for the salary there either if you are out for a job.
Private schools with reputation like Carol Morgan would pay more.

If you are out for the experience, and not the money ( there is no money in it ), I would suggest volunteerwork with children instead.
Many organizations would welcome you for a short term as 3 months.

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
Do you know where

carina said:
Hi,
Depending on where you?re moving on the island.. Private schools, like Carol Morgan etc will offer employment only to teachers with degree.
Others, like some of the schools here in POP, will hire anyway if you have documented experience, and a residency, and live here.
Never for short term.
Don?t expect to get replies by email though, it won?t happen.
Most schools have hired for the vacancies they might have had for September though already.
A teachers salary, if you don?t have a degree, and work in a private school, like Alic in POP for example, is around 5000- 8000 pesos a month.
Public, local schools would not hire you, and you would never work for the salary there either if you are out for a job.
Private schools with reputation like Carol Morgan would pay more.

If you are out for the experience, and not the money ( there is no money in it ), I would suggest volunteerwork with children instead.
Many organizations would welcome you for a short term as 3 months.

You mention volunteerwork, do you know of any organisations in POP that i could get hold of?

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
ok

Thats ok, but do you know of any organisations that i could get hold of?
Also i wouldn't want a job for the money, but once i am out there would i be able to find just a part time sorta job as something to do, nothing skilled, or is that not possible?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You can contact Foundacion Patria for example.
And there are many, many more that makes alots for the children here, from youth organizations, to the church to many other charity organizations.
No need to contact them in advance though, it doesn?t work that way here,
just come and they will welcome you.
This is a country where many people talk and talk, and I even have a t-shirt on me sometimes with the statement " I see your lips are moving and all I hear is bla, bla, bla " to make a little fun of some people here, locals and gringos.
The base is no one cares about emails, people care when someone is here and ready to work, party, volunteer,,, whatever, for real.
That?s one of the reasons emails is not the way to go.

If you are out for an experience here, and want to dedicate some of your time to children, there are plenty of opportunities.
Mustard Seed works with disabled kids, the church help alots of chilren,
Foundacion Patria works with schoolchildren and so on.
This is unpaid work.

Paid work with kids - Not possible.

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
once im there

Once i'm over there how easy will it be for me to find where these places are tho? thats the thing im worried about, getting there with nothing planned and not knowing who to speak to, or how to go about doing so. As im coming alone, i wont have anyone else to depend on!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
jellylegs2002 said:
Once i'm over there how easy will it be for me to find where these places are tho? thats the thing im worried about, getting there with nothing planned and not knowing who to speak to, or how to go about doing so. As im coming alone, i wont have anyone else to depend on!

Just pm me when you know when you are coming, I?ll be happy to take you to any of the organizations and introduce you.

Coming here, for anyone, the reality is for everything else, is exacly as you wrote... you will have no one to depend on.
Just yourself! ;)