R?sum? and cover letter submission

M

Mr.Mark

Hi all,

I hope this is in the right subforum. It's funny that I, being a Dominican and theoretically knowing better than most of you how things work here, am asking for your advice on this subject. Maybe it is because even though one has to treat this from the viewpoint that we're in the DR and things are interpreted in a particular way, this is a matter that could well be adaptable to a similar situation in another country.

Cover letters are not of common usage in the DR. In fact, you could say empirically that 90% of job applicants don't use this resource regardless of their qualifications, competencies and academic background. However, as I'm thinking about applying at Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana I'm going to make the most of my possiblities to get an interview and seizing the reality mentioned above that cover letters are not common here, this would be an element that can allow me to stand out from the myriad of prospective employees at CND.

I got the names and positions of the HR Director, Marketing Manager and Advertising Manager. My interest is in the fields of Advertising and Marketing.

My questions are:

1) To whom should I send my cover letter and r?sum?? All these three or just the HR Director?

2) Am I aiming to high in the hierarchy of Cerveceria? Should I send my CV to a person at a lower rank?

3) Grupo Leon Jimenes receives r?sum?s on Wednesdays, but I'm afraid that if I content myself with that my r?sum? can get lost in the bulk of all. Not only that, but that the writing of the cover letter would be useless since it won't get to the incumbent persons. Is there a way that I can leave my r?sum? through that official medium and that in fact my cover letter gets to the persons that should review my file?

4) Perhaps if I follow the path of submitting my papers as a correspondence to the persons I mentioned, someone from reception or something is going to ask me "who's that for?" or things like that. What can you say about that?

5) This is something not related to the topic I started now. How do I stop using the personal pronoun "I" in English? I find I use it to much! It sickens me!

Thanks guys and I'm waiting for your replie :tired: s

Last edited:

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
not sure in DR

I'm not sure of the ways in the DR but in Canada, if I were applying I would:

1) address the letter to the HR Director. Here, they are usually the person that screens potential applicants.
2) wouldn't send it lower ranked staff unless specifically directed to. If they find something they don't like in you, or feel threatened by your experiences, they may toss your resume in the circular file without forwarding to appropriate person.
3) If Wednesday is the only day, the cover letter would probably be helpful as it would help your resume stand out among all the others. Cover letters should never be thought of as a waste of time but rather a chance to really explain your abilities and how they would be of an asset to the company. Resumes generally are just an outline of your work and education and they do not give you opportunity to show how you can help the new company. A cover letter can also help express your abilities and how they relate to the position you wish to obtain in a more personal and professional manner. They will also give the employer an idea of what kind of person you are.
4) Address it to the Director, if reception asks, tell them. No use pissing them off. If it's in an envelope addressed to the person, chances are reception will not ask but just stick it in their mail box.
5) As for the 'I' business. I'm just as bad as you are. However, when writing your cover letter, try not to use it. I've attached a link on writing cover letters (Canadian style) and their first rule is not to use I too much.

http://resume.monster.ca/coverletter/

Hope you can find something in this post that you can put a Dominican spin on to help you land the job you wish!

Good luck!!

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
I'm sorry to tell you this, but to get in Cervecer?a Nacional is really difficult, relations and networking are the key words

I know it because I once was interested in working there, send my resume through different ways and persons, no luck. :tired:

Here in DR, people don't care about cover letter so it will only be a waste of your time, really, they won't even look at it, I used to send one with my resume before but they just don't care

M

Mr.Mark

Shelley said:
I'm not sure of the ways in the DR but in Canada, if I were applying I would:

5) As for the 'I' business. I'm just as bad as you are. However, when writing your cover letter, try not to use it. I've attached a link on writing cover letters (Canadian style) and their first rule is not to use I too much.

http://resume.monster.ca/coverletter/

Hope you can find something in this post that you can put a Dominican spin on to help you land the job you wish!

Good luck!!

Thanks, Shelley.
You see, what happens with the "I" overusage in my case is accentuated by the fact that my mother tongue is Spanish. In Spanish you don't need to use the pronoun "yo" to accompany the verb, in English in most of the situations you have to. So I think that in Spanish the risk of being perceived as too self-centered because of the overusage of "yo" is much lesser than in English.
This thing is something that annoys me, not only when writing a cover letter but just communicating in English, I hate using "I" so much.
Thank you for taking time to give me all your guidelines.

M

Mr.Mark

You might be right. Anyway, I wrote the cover letter yesterday and it's pretty fine, so fine that I think that if it doesn't impress them than I don't want to work at a company like that.
It's people like you and me that have to change these negative stuff about the way-things-work-in-the-DR. Guess what? They're changing, I'm seeing it with the people I'm meeting, the people I've studied with. There is great talent here in the DR, intelectually and even young people with high standars of ethics. Not that it's something unethical that cover letters don't work here, but it's just not fair that one being qualified doesn't get the chances she/he deserves.
I wish you the best, Johy. May you land a great job or even come up with a great business idea/

Johy said:
I'm sorry to tell you this, but to get in Cervecer?a Nacional is really difficult, relations and networking are the key words

I know it because I once was interested in working there, send my resume through different ways and persons, no luck. :tired:

Here in DR, people don't care about cover letter so it will only be a waste of your time, really, they won't even look at it, I used to send one with my resume before but they just don't care

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Mr.Mark said:
You might be right. Anyway, I wrote the cover letter yesterday and it's pretty fine, so fine that I think that if it doesn't impress them than I don't want to work at a company like that.
It's people like you and me that have to change these negative stuff about the way-things-work-in-the-DR. Guess what? They're changing, I'm seeing it with the people I'm meeting, the people I've studied with. There is great talent here in the DR, intelectually and even young people with high standars of ethics. Not that it's something unethical that cover letters don't work here, but it's just not fair that one being qualified doesn't get the chances she/he deserves.
I wish you the best, Johy. May you land a great job or even come up with a great business idea/

many times in the USA things move quicker with connections and networking;
in here people use cover letters, thank you notes, fancy resumes, and other means because in USA things are more formal, more organized. But networking and having connections will get you a job fastter here too.

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Mr.Mark said:
Thanks Mark, I already land the job and have a business idea (need like year and a half to really develop it). And the job I got it through a friend.

M

Mr.Mark

Good news

I like to be contradicted in cases such as this one. I was called from Cervecer?a the day before yesterday after having sent my resume and cover letter addressed to Estela Le?n, who apart from being the Human Resources Director of Grupo Le?n Jimenes is -as you can deduce from her last name- a member of the family that owns this emporium.

I frankly thought that I was running a risk in addressing my correspondence to the HR Director because she could feel insulted -yeah! she could have said: I mind about issues more important than recruitment-, but my suspicion was proved wrong: I have an interview probably next week. My candidacy is spontaneous, ie I'm not responding to a job offer of them... I was told that there's a vacancy in the Market Research Department.

Let's see what happens, I'm already satisfied to see that networking is not always indispensable in the DR.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Mr.Mark said:
I like to be contradicted in cases as this one. I was called from Cervecer?a the day before yesterday after having sent my resume and cover letter addressed to Estela Le?n, who apart from being the Human Resources Directo of Grupo Le?n Jimenes is, as you can deduct from her last name, is a member of the family that owns this emporium.

I frankly thought that there was a risk in addressing my correspondece to the HR Director because she could feel insulted -yeah! she could have said: I mind about more important issues than recruitment-, but my suspiction was proved wrong: I have an interview probably next week. My candidacy is spontaneous, ie I'm not responding to a job offer of them... I was told that there's a vacancy in the Market Research Department.

Let's see what happens, I'm already satisfied to see that networking is not always indispensable in the DR.
Good luck with the interview.

It was smart to send it to the HR director. If she felt it was beneath her, she probably would have sent it to a subordinate to review. The subordinate, knowing it came from her, might take more care in the review. Of course that only how it works in theory.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Mr.Mark said:
I like to be contradicted in cases as this one. I was called from Cervecer?a the day before yesterday after having sent my resume and cover letter addressed to Estela Le?n, who apart from being the Human Resources Director of Grupo Le?n Jimenes is, as you can deduce from her last name, is a member of the family that owns this emporium.

I frankly thought that I was running a risk in addressing my correspondence to the HR Director because she could feel insulted -yeah! she could have said: I mind about issues more important than recruitment-, but my suspiction was proved wrong: I have an interview probably next week. My candidacy is spontaneous, ie I'm not responding to a job offer of them... I was told that there's a vacancy in the Market Research Department.

Congratulations, and best of luck in the interview. Let us know how it turns out!

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
I am very happy for you and I wish you luck on your interview :)...But hey I think you got one of the biggest hurdles out of the way YOU'VE GOT AN INTERVIEW!!! Now you've just got to win them over with your intelligence, wit and charm ;).

Yari
(Secretaria de Piropos)

M

Mr.Mark

Yari said:
I am very happy for you and I wish you luck on your interview :)...But hey I think you got one of the biggest hurdles out of the way YOU'VE GOT AN INTERVIEW!!! Now you've just got to win them over with your intelligence, wit and charm ;).

Yari
(Secretaria de Piropos)

Thank you, Yari. You sure know how to make one blush.