Guavaberry

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
No, not the Guavaberry Golf and Country Club, but the drink, very popular in San Pedro de Macorix.

The drink is prepared by stuffing a glass container with the ripe fruit (Myrciaria floribunda) and pouring white rum until full. The container is burried under ground for a year (some leave it only for at least six months).

Myrciaria floribunda (also known as rumberry

Drinking my guavaberry
watching the sun go down, oh
woman that's all I need
in San Pedro de Macor?s, oh!

Guavaberry, lyrics by Juan Luis Guerra

May 31, 2005
I have had guavaberry. We mixed it with Brugal and it tasted very good. Have not idea why the bury it underground though.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
juanita said:
Just curious! Why do they put it underground?

Good question! I've heard that the traditional Korean kimchi is put into ceramic crocks and buried in the earth. In Venezuela, there's a delicious cheese which is 'aged' by burying underground for a year. The cheese is buried in blocks, and when its retrieved a year later, the blackened crust exposed to the earth is just cut away. I can think of all kinds of esoteric reasons for burying underground, but probably the reason is practical, like so you don't get carried away by temptation and take a sip before the year is over.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Mirador said:
Good question! I've heard that the traditional Korean kimchi is put into ceramic crocks and buried in the earth. In Venezuela, there's a delicious cheese which is 'aged' by burying underground for a year. The cheese is buried in blocks, and when its retrieved a year later, the blackened crust exposed to the earth is just cut away. I can think of all kinds of esoteric reasons for burying underground, but probably the reason is practical, like so you don't get carried away by temptation and take a sip before the year is over.

Maybe it is to help out with the fermentation of the berries.

Isn't apple cider made from apple juice that has been placed in a pitch black room for a while. Maybe the same application applies to guavaberries.

May 31, 2005
Stodgord said:
Maybe it is to help out with the fermentation of the berries.

Isn't apple cider made from apple juice that has been placed in a pitch black room for a while. Maybe the same application applies to guavaberries.
True. Since they didn't have a cellar to put it in they probably just buried it. Plus it makes sense to keep the thieves away from your alcohol. ;) Now that they have the convenience of doing like apple cider they probably want to keep the tradition alive and keep doing it the old way.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
A Greenland speciality:

Shoot a seal and some birds. Slice up the belly of the seal remove the guts and stuff the untreated birds (feathers, beak, feet and all) inside. Stitch the seal back up and bury it in the ground for a few months. Dig up the seal, slice it open and feast on the now soft and chewy birds (feathers, beak, feet and all). :p

I'll take the guavaberry over the seal any day :lick:

mami

Mar 16, 2004
i've heard

when wine is stored it is also stored in the dark. apparently the sun changes the flavor and color